Sublinqual Vitamin B12?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sublinqual Vitamin B12?

The last time I posted, my neuro said nothing but provigil would work for fatigue in MS. I guess she was just in a bad mood, because I went to my appt last week and talked to her again about taking something for fatigue and she rx'd amantadine twice a day.
    They also did blood work finally after a year. I got an email with the results but it was only for Vit D which was really low. After 2 calls to her office and finally an email, she emailed me saying she called in vit D, and I also need to take sublinqual B12.
    I am going to try to call her today, but my question is what is sublinqual B12? When I googled it, it said the stores carried sublingual (sp?) B12. So is that the same thing?
    I've been on Tecfidera for a year now, had to stop for the last 7 weeks because of stomach problems. I'm supposed to take the amantadine for a month before going back on Tec slowly cause the amantadine can cause nausea.

sublingual = under the tongue. The two spellings are the same. As far as the amantadine goes, I cannot answer any questions about this as I have not been on it in about 10 years and I do not want to give you any incorrect information.
    hunterd/HuntOP/Dave
    volunteer
    MS World
    hunterd@msworld.org
    PPMS DX 2001

"ADAPT AND OVERCOME" - MY COUSIN

Comment

I discussed a worsening fatigue with my doctor back in November. He prescribed Amantadine and blood work. I started the Amantadine immediately and can't believe how big a difference the it makes for me. My worst side effect is dry mouth. Blood work results indicated I was a little low in D even though I was taking 2000 iu a day. So now I am taking 4000 a day of the Vitamin D3. And I was also told to take the B12. The sublingual is nice because I already swallow so many pills, and these you just let dissolve under your tongue. My doc also said that 'some people' say Ginkgo Biloba helps with fatigue, so I'm taking that as well. Good luck. I hope the Amantadine and the vitamins work well for you.
      Portia

Comment

Originally posted by Bloodhound View Post
        what is sublinqual B12? When I googled it, it said the stores carried sublingual (sp?) B12. So is that the same thing?
        In Standard American English -- and in the root word from Latin -- the word used for tongue is "lingual" not "linqual."

I don't know if "linqual" is used in other languages, but in English, "linqual" is a misspelling of "lingual" (and it might be in other languages, too ). So what your doctor must have meant was sublingual.

What you're looking for is sublingual B12. I don't know why your neurologist would have used the misspelling.

As far as the anti-fatigue medicines go, the completely unofficial estimate is that Provigil doesn't work for 50% of people and Amantadine doesn't work for 50% of people. Amantadine didn't work for me, and actually made me feel worse. Provigil did the trick for me. For you, it sounds like it could be the other way around. The chances of that were 50/50.

Other stimulants (e.g., the ADHD meds) also work for MS fatigue, but they're controlled substances because they can be addictive. That could be why your neurologist doesn't want to get involved in prescribing them. That's my guess because, by how you've described her, her mode of dealing with patients is to not be actively involved.

Comment

Update!

I tried the amatadine and it just made me sleepy. The B-12 for about a month worked wonders! I didn't feel sleepy all day and got a lot of stuff done, then it stopped working. I still take it, but I'll talk to her in a week at my next appt. Thx to everyone for all the info! Just tired of being tired all the time lol 😫

Comment

I take B-12 for fatigue as well. I am quite happy with it however there are some bouts of fatigue that nothing works other than sleep.

Comment

Working...
            X