Pain meds with Aubagio question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pain meds with Aubagio question

I will be starting Aubagio soon. Is there any pain med available (preferably something over the counter) that doesn't impact the liver (since Aubagio also does)???

Or do all of them hurt the liver and I should just try harder to ignore it?
    Diagnosed December 20, 2011
    Avonex: February 10, 2012 - March 16, 2013
    Tysabri: June 28, 2013 - May 23, 2014
    Betaseron: August 15, 2014 - March 10, 2015
    Aubagio: June 18, 2015 - current

Any ideas/suggestions/opinions?

Comment

I think that just about any OTC pain med taken carefully is OK for your liver. I know there's a potential for problems with acetaminophen, but you need to take a lot of it. My doc did tell me to stick with ibuprofen. Best advice - ask your doc. You should be getting blood tests monthly for the first 6 months with Aubagio, liver function tests are a big part of those.
      Best Wishes.
      "Hope for the best and plan for the worst. That way, all your surprises will be pleasant."
      Verin Mathwin, The Wheel of Time by Robert Jordan

Comment

Hmmm...my doc never said a word about blood tests. And I don't see him again until July. I usually take a little bit of ibuprofen but am not sure if I want to continue when I start Aubagio. I have a healthy liver, but since I have a family history of liver problems it is always a concern.

Comment

I take either Advil or Aleve with no issues.

In the Prescribing Information it states potential liver problems and having a liver blood test before starting and then once a month after starting for 6 months.

Comment

Maybe a call to your doc's office asking about those recommended tests is in order?
            I'm not sure I'd be comfortable waiting until July.
            "Hope for the best and plan for the worst. That way, all your surprises will be pleasant."

Comment

update

My insurance approved the Aubagio and the specialty pharmacy has already shipped it. But I cannot start it for a few more days because I have to complete a round of daily injections of Acthar first. (Has anyone taken that?) And my neuro basically decided that my health is so bad that I need to skip the starter 7mg dose and just go straight to the 14mg pills.

Comment

Hmm, I'm healthy (well, except for this whole MS thing) and my neuro started me on the 14 mg after all my preliminary blood tests came back. He never suggested starting at 7 & stepping up. I didn't have any problems with the 14 mg dose, so there's a bit of good news for you.

Comment

I'm worried about taking other meds to. I know I need to start on anxiety/anti depressants but with Aubagio will that be too much on my liver. All the different meds to deal with MS symptoms, how did that work with Aubagio?

Comment

Originally posted by TinaP303 View Post
                    Hmm, I'm healthy (well, except for this whole MS thing) and my neuro started me on the 14 mg after all my preliminary blood tests came back. He never suggested starting at 7 & stepping up. I didn't have any problems with the 14 mg dose, so there's a bit of good news for you.
                    Thank you for trying to ease my mind. Well when I was at the dr office he told me that I was prescribed both doses, but the day after my blood test results were back his nurse called to tell me that I would only be taking the larger one. Said that he thought that was better for me.

Comment

My DR. also thought that 14 mg was better for me so I started on that with no issues.
                      Hopefully it'll work out ok for you too.

Comment

Originally posted by pb909 View Post
                        My DR. also thought that 14 mg was better for me so I started on that with no issues.
                        Hopefully it'll work out ok for you too.
                        Glad to hear it's working for you!

Comment

It's day two of taking my Aubagio.

Yesterday all I took was my regular medicine just to see what might happen.

Today I'm wanting something for pain. Thinking about ibuprofen.

What does everyone think? Should I 'dare' it? Or any other ideas?

Comment

Man, I wish I'd seen this earlier.
                            Pain stinks. Big time! I'm really sorry it's hitting you.
                            Have you asked your doc about using ibuprofen? Not being a doc & knowing your specific details it'd be dumb for me to say "sure take something".
                            I know it's late, but call the office anyway, you need to know for sure.
                            Best wishes. Let me know. I'll be thinking of you.

Comment

Working...
                            X