Anyone with tattoos

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Anyone with tattoos

I was planning on getting a tattoo but I saw something that said the ink has some metal and can cause problems during an MRI. Does anyone have experience with this?

Thanks,
    Stef

I have a couple of small tattoos, done years prior to MS dx. I have had no problems with having MRI's, but as stated these are old tattoos ... don't know if inks have changed that much since then

But is a tattoo really something that you want? I thought that I wanted both of mine, but now wonder "why?". But since they are not normally visible (intimate areas) it isn't worth the time, money or hassle to try to remove them.

Comment

nope you're good.......I have 3. One before dx and two after.
      dx 2002 rebif 2002-2013 Tecfidera 2013

Comment

I have a bajillion tattoos and MRIs (I have always gotten contrast ones) are fine. I even had an IUD and that wasn't a problem.

Comment

Yep yep I heard the same thing about metal in the inks, mostly the red I think? I did talk to an MRI tech about it before I got my last one and they assured me that it wasn't really a problem any more, that's mostly for older inks. If you're still concerned (who knows, you may well have it already) call the imaging center before you get your tattoo and talk to them about it. Good luck and enjoy your ink!

~Elly~
          I choose to live and to grow, take and give and to move, learn and love and to cry, kill and die and to be paranoid and to lie, hate and fear and to do what it takes to move through.

Comment

I was told by an MRI tech that they say that in case someone has prison tattoos which can use anything that produces color to serve as ink, including tiny metal fragments. Really, it's not a big deal anyway because they can place something over the area if need be... Just don't get one on your head

Comment

Tats

I have several tats never even heard they could be an issue. Yes a couple from prison ink.its obviously not a problem I've have almost as many MRI's as I do tattoos.

Originally posted by Eflores0227 View Post
              I was planning on getting a tattoo but I saw something that said the ink has some metal and can cause problems during an MRI. Does anyone have experience with this?

Thanks,
              Stef

Comment

My daughter is a tattoo artist and guarantees there's no metal in the ink. Most of them today are plant based so you're safe to get one. Just out of curiosity what are you thinking of getting?
                Jen
                RRMS 2005, Copaxone since 2007
                "I hope to be the person my dog thinks I am."

Comment

Working...
                X