Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Protein??

Hi

I don't eat meat and aside from a small amount of low fat cream cheese and yoghurt, I don't take in any protein. I have a large salad every evening and was wondering if there was a nutritional source of protein I could add to it? Am I correct in thinking beans are high in protein? if yes, which ones would be good to add to a salad?
    Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind. ... Dr. Seuss

Complete proteins include foods such as meat, poultry, seafood, dairy and eggs.

Beans (such as kidney beans, navy beans, pinto beans, black beans, etc) or nuts or seeds can be a healthy complete protein if eaten together with a grain, such as wheat, rice or corn. For example, a burrito with beans and a corn or flour tortilla. Or, a peanut butter sandwich.

Yes; you could add any beans or nuts to a salad, but, in order to get a complete protein, you'd need to have a bread or other grain together with your salad. Or, add croutons, or have some crackers on the side. Crackers, though, often have hydrogenated fat (trans fats), which are not very healthy.
    ~ Faith
    MSWorld Volunteer -- Moderator since JUN2012
    (now a Mimibug)

Symptoms began in JAN02
    - Dx with RRMS in OCT03, following 21 months of limbo, ruling out lots of other dx, and some "probable stroke" and "probable CNS" dx for awhile.
    - In 2008, I was back in limbo briefly, then re-dx w/ MS: JUL08

- Betaseron NOV03-AUG08; Copaxone20 SEPT08-APR15; Copaxone40 APR15-present
    - Began receiving SSDI / LTD NOV08. Not employed. I volunteer in my church and community.

Comment

Hi choco:

Protein for vegetarians and vegans is a huge issue. The topic of balanced diets for vegetarians and vegans fills entire books! So there is a huge amount of information about balanced diets available online and at your local library.

Try googling something like "protein for vegetarians" or "protein for vegans" and you may be surprised at how many sources come up. You'll find out what good non-meat sources of protein are how to combine foods to be sure you're getting all of the protein, amino acids, vitamins and minerals you need to stay healthy when you don't eat meat.

Comment

stay away from tofu.

We use a mix of hemp seeds, flax seeds (ground), and chia seeds which we sprinkle on our oatmeal for breakfast and salads as a source of fat and protein to help absorb the vitamins from the vegs.

Quinoa is nice if you cannot tolerate beans.
        I love it warm on top of a cold salad.
        1995-symptoms with no cause
        2000-diagnosed with Probable MS.
        2000/1-started Avonex
        2002-Rebif b/c increasing brain plaques
        Nov-13-Tecfidera b/c needle fatigue&sympt

Comment

Originally posted by choco View Post
          Hi

I don't eat meat and aside from a small amount of low fat cream cheese and yoghurt, I don't take in any protein. I have a large salad every evening and was wondering if there was a nutritional source of protein I could add to it? Am I correct in thinking beans are high in protein? if yes, which ones would be good to add to a salad?

Have you ever thought about a vegetarian protein supplement? Hemp or Pea proteins are good choices, especially if you are following a strict diet such as Swank, Whals or OMS.

To answer your question, Legumes (beans) can be rich in protein.

http://www.healthaliciousness.com/ar...st-protein.php

Do you consume fish or seafood products?

Comment

Working...
          X