Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

10 things that I like about having MS ...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

10 things that I like about having MS ...

I was thinking about David Letterman's show and Dave's retirement. Then, I thought about this miserable disease (not that I get a minute's peace from it) ! I thought 'maybe some of my fellow MSer's have an interesting (maybe funny) take on their disease. So, without further introduction...
    What are your 10 favorite things about having MS ? I've got nothing ! If you have just a few, that's quite OK. If you have more than 10, respond in several posts ( you sick so and so ) !

1. It has made me aware of how good friends and family can be, when I am in need.
    2. The government pays me to choose what I want to do with my time, rather than being required to work for an income.
    ~ Faith
    MSWorld Volunteer -- Moderator since JUN2012
    (now a Mimibug)

Symptoms began in JAN02
    - Dx with RRMS in OCT03, following 21 months of limbo, ruling out lots of other dx, and some "probable stroke" and "probable CNS" dx for awhile.
    - In 2008, I was back in limbo briefly, then re-dx w/ MS: JUL08

- Betaseron NOV03-AUG08; Copaxone20 SEPT08-APR15; Copaxone40 APR15-present
    - Began receiving SSDI / LTD NOV08. Not employed. I volunteer in my church and community.

Comment

You must live in a very tolerant state.
      In NY if you can volunteer you can work.
      Same for workman's comp
      1995-symptoms with no cause
      2000-diagnosed with Probable MS.
      2000/1-started Avonex
      2002-Rebif b/c increasing brain plaques
      Nov-13-Tecfidera b/c needle fatigue&sympt

Comment

TOP THINGS I LIKE!

TOP THINGS I CAN THINK OF RIGHT NOW THAT I LIKE ABOUT MS

# 10- lose car keys- blame MS
        # 9- lose purse- blame MS
        #8- lost car (in parking lot)- blame MS
        #7- lose kid - blame MS
        #6- forgot to do dishes- blame MS
        #5- forgot MIL's birthday- blame MS
        #4- can't mow yard- blame MS
        #3- can't do heavy housework- blame MS
        #2- have to nap daily- blame MS fatigue
        and the #1 reason I like MS ----- handicap parking!!!

i'm sure i forgot somethings, (cog fog) like excuse to carry a weapon (metal cane) legally in IL!
        but yes, there are some good stuff about MS

hope more can find other things too!

God bless ya!
        (we all sure need it!)
        "All things are possible for those who believe." Jesus

Comment

Originally posted by nosrepmodnar View Post
          You must live in a very tolerant state.
          In NY if you can volunteer you can work.
          Same for workman's comp
          If I could volunteer full time, I imagine I could work full time. I volunteer only 10 - 15 hours per week, and that would certainly keep me under the SGA guidelines. If I were volunteering full time, I would be able to be employed at the SGA (substantial gainful employment) level, and it would not make sense for me to be considered to be disabled.

The SSDI eligibility requirements, as I understand them, are federal and do not vary from state to state. It would be hard for me to believe that NY state would have different guidelines than any other state for a federal program. I believe that I was approved, due to the medical information I sent (including many ER visits, multiple hospitalizations, 7 MRI's, a two-week visit at Mayo Clinic, etc), the three doctors who indicated that they believed that I should be on disability, the three jobs that I lost in six years, because of my MS (annual requests for FMLA leave, my deteriorating ability at work, etc). It would not make sense to deny disability simply because I volunteer a few hours every week.

For quite a few years, SSA sent me a form to fill out, regarding my activities. I was always honest, regarding how many hours I volunteered outside the house, and my disability was never discontinued. They don't even send me the forms anymore, so i don't think the federal government is concerned about my volunteer work.
          ~ Faith
          (now a Mimibug)

Symptoms began in JAN02
          - Dx with RRMS in OCT03, following 21 months of limbo, ruling out lots of other dx, and some "probable stroke" and "probable CNS" dx for awhile.

- Began receiving SSDI / LTD NOV08. Not employed. I volunteer in my church and community.

Comment

Pooh -- another time I need a like button. Your post was hilarious, but, at the same time, sadly true.
            ~ Faith
            (now a Mimibug)

Symptoms began in JAN02

Comment

1) I like MS because it forced me to retired at the age of 46. It does my heart good to know that I gave someone else the opportunity to make a lot of money during their prime working years.
              2) I like MS because I turned my bedroom into a beautiful spa-like atmosphere since I spend so much time in there.
              3) I like MS because I get Optic Neuritis and I turn it into a wonderful adventure wondering how much of my eyesight will be gone from it. I love venturing into the mysterious unknown.
              4) Wall surfing during a flare is AWESOME! So much fun. Its my new sport since I had to give up running. And its great for finding all those places that need to have touch up paint since my eyesight is not all that great.
              5) MS has allowed me to frequently fall in the grass, face first. It gave me a whole new meaning to "I love the smell of freshly cut grass." It really smells great when it gets shoved up your nose.
              6) Talking about grass...had to give up mowing. Now I have to pay someone to do it for me and let them get the exercise...awesome. One hot man mowing Katie's Lawn! Seriously...he is hot.
              7) MS has allowed me to stop going to Holiday Parties...need I say more?
              8) The pain is great! Love it, because there is no better feeling in the World than when the pain subsides for awhile...I feel like Wonder Woman.
              9) MS helped me immensly when it came to getting rid of my husband. Absolutely love walking this journey alone...honestly love is over-rated...not a necessity.
              10) MS has given me the opportunity to try some really cool drugs and throw needles in my thighs that will make me sick. Who needs to read 50 Shades of Grey when you are living it?
              11) I no longer have the horrible habit of buying lots of shoes. New Balance Tennis Shoes are all I need...even with evening wear. Just put some rhinestones on them and I am good to go.
              12) My rollater is exceptionally cool. I has a basket and a seat. I would not have been able to have one had it not been for MS.
              13) Handicap Parking Placard. Who in their right mind want to would want to walk from the back of the parking lot to the front door. Thanks to MS, I don't have to.

Now isn't MS Wonderful? Honestly Jerry...sometimes you just have to stop and smell the roses. May I suggest however you do that with the roses at the grocery store? If you have roses in your garden and bend over to smell them, you might be like me and fall over. That could potentially be a very thorny situation.
              Katie
              "Yep, I have MS, and it does have Me!"
              "My MS is a Journey for One."
              Dx: 1999 DMDS: Avonex, Copaxone, Rebif, currently on Tysabri

Comment

I will agree that smelling the 'roses' could be a very thorny situation. lol My #1 reason to be happy about having MS is that I will NEVER be asked by my wife to shave with a razor (straight or otherwise ) ! lol I use an electric shaver and I am happy for it ! I have read a lot of reasons 'NOT TO DO THINGS' because you have MS. I guess those reasons are good enough to make you happy. 'Any port in a storm'! I guess !

Comment

10 Things I like about having MS

1. People want to take me with them because I have a handicap sticker.
                  2. I get to eat in bed.
                  3. I never have to do dishes when we get invited out.
                  4. I never have to stand on the bus.
                  5. Little kids love playing with my canes.
                  6. We got a bigger room on the cruise ship.
                  7. I laughed when my 4 year old grandson asked me what I was like when I was normal.
                  8. I always get the sofa in the family room.
                  9. I have learned how kind people can be.
                  10. I like my adult tricycle that allows me to ride a bike.

Comment

Top 10

10. No one calls me to repair things.
                    9. I can put someone on an instant guilt trip (OMG! I'm my mother)
                    8. Work from home full-time
                    7. Never know when I'll break out the dance moves from spasticity
                    6. Laughing at MS knowing I will probably be hit by a car.
                    5. Fun to watch trying to do things, like catching stuff.
                    4. Save money not buying tools and toys
                    3. People volunteering to cut grass and shovel snow
                    2. Instant pay raise knowing I won't retire
                    1. I know who I really am and what's important to me.

Comment

Katie, I am ROFLOL!!!!!! "sometimes you just have to stop and smell the roses. May I suggest however you do that with the roses at the grocery store? If you have roses in your garden and bend over to smell them, you might be like me and fall over. That could potentially be a very thorny situation."

One night I was looking at some wildlife in the field with my binoculars next to the edge of a field and I could not SEEN from my house. I tipped over my scooter and fell into a PRICKER BUSH!!! To make matters worse, nightfall was setting and it was summertime, and that means MOSQUITOES, and they were drawn to me like metals to a magnet! I could not walk, nor could I get up. I went to a sitting target!
                      hunterd/HuntOP/Dave
                      volunteer
                      MS World
                      hunterd@msworld.org
                      PPMS DX 2001

"ADAPT AND OVERCOME" - MY COUSIN

Comment

Katie wins the internet

Thanks Katie! I finally found time to read more of what's on there and your post was a great way to start a Saturday!

I agree the "smell the roses" thing was hilarious! I do/did a ton of things. I had more hobbies than I care to count. I still do what I can, but these days, the lack of coordination, balance, and other issues makes me feel like a 2 year old finger painting.

I was working in the shop on a project and reached for something. Fell right over. All you can do is lie there and look at the ceiling. The first few times I took Baclofen, I felt like Superman! What I didn't know was how fast it would leave my system. Standing a couple rungs up a ladder and having the restored sense of balance and coordination suddenly disappear while looking down at boards with nails sticking out. No more ladders or dangerous stuff for me.

I don't have the vision issues, but sure am wearing paint off of walls as I lean on them as I walk. It's all humorous! My brother tossing me things because it's fun watching me try to catch. My right leg is a bit worse than my left, but my left arm is way worse than the right. Makes it fun using a cane. Do you use it in the right arm so you have strength to catch yourself and use it for balance, or try to use it in your left hand so you support the right leg so you're less likely to lose your balance?

I used to ride and train horses. Last October, I rode one day and by the end, I was worthless. Went to climb off and fell flat on my back because my left leg quit working. I tell people to keep a camera handy and that I need a selfie stick on my back because I'm fun to watch.

I do love the numbness in my hands. I can stab them, and grab stuff without feeling much pain. It's my super power! I can be the designated decoy for others. Police see me walk out of a club, and they're all over me, thinking I'm drunk, and the others can get away.

MSers are the most ingenius people around! We become great problem solvers, able to figure out a solution to most of our problem situations, even if it's, "Screw it. I'm staying in bed."

Comment

Originally posted by Skidder View Post

is lie there and look at the ceiling.

but sure am wearing paint off of walls as I lean on them as I walk.

I tell people to keep a camera handy and that I need a selfie stick on my back because I'm fun to watch.

I do love the numbness in my hands. I can stab them, and grab stuff without feeling much pain. It's my super power! I can be the designated decoy for others.

Police see me walk out of a club, and they're all over me, thinking I'm drunk, and the others can get away.

"Screw it. I'm staying in bed."
                          "

Skidder, you made me laugh!

My dd#1 used to work in a nightclub. She told me that if I was there, she would target me and cut me off at the bar.
                          Karen

Comment

10) Excuse for a nap whenever I want
                            9) Numbness in "mr. happy" solved my issues with premature ejaculation
                            8) When my kids have a sleep over and the parents look at the house and silently judge me for it being messy I just say I have MS and suddenly they feel guilty
                            7) Built in excuse to get out of social situations I don't want to be in
                            6) Excuse for a nap whenever I want
                            5) Justification for spending too much on a laptop because I need a good one for days I'm stuck in bed
                            4) Sword cane
                            3) Before when I fell I was a klutz, now I have MS
                            2) No one every asks me to remind them of something
                            1) Did I mention Naps?
                            Rise up this mornin, Smiled with the risin sun, Three little birds Pitch by my doorstep Singin sweet songs Of melodies pure and true, Sayin, (this is my message to you-ou-ou

Comment

Key

Originally posted by Karenkay View Post
                              "

Skidder, you made me laugh!

My dd#1 used to work in a nightclub. She told me that if I was there, she would target me and cut me off at the bar.
                              I time getting up with good twerking songs. The inevitable spasms make me fit in versus looking like Elaine on Seinfeld.

Comment

Working...
                              X