Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

THERMOREGULATION

Hello everyone.

Something odd happened to me several months ago and I just can't seem to forget about it. Has this ever happened to any of you before?

During this one evening, I was feeling a bit chilly (not unusual for me) so I wrapped myself in a throw blanket while watching TV. Later, right after going to bed, my feet were really cold so I tried rubbing them against each other to warm them up. However, this wasn't working.

Then, I suddenly felt really cold from head to toe and started trembling and shaking violently, uncontrollably. This continued at the same intensity for over an hour and a half, non stop (we actually checked the time)! My husband even tried to warm me up by cuddling up against me but nothing would stop my trembling and shaking. By the time I finally did stop, my body was a wreck. My muscles were tense and painful and I was so exhausted.

The strangest part is that I didn't even have a fever! How weird is that? I have NEVER experienced anything of the sort before nor since.

Please tell me, has this ever happened to any of you out there?? Does anyone know what it was or what it means? I could really use some info on the matter. Thank you.

Hi artfan,

That sounds terrible. I had dangerously high fevers as a reaction to one of the DMT's before, and went through cycles of burning up and then shivering so much my teeth were chattering. Do you know what your temperature was when the shivering began? Shivering is the body's way of trying to warm up. Although heat sensitivity is more common in MS patients, hypothermia can also occur. Google thermo regulation multiple sclerosis or thermo regulation hypothermia multiple sclerosis and you'll find plenty of links.

"Areas of the sympathetic nervous system (hypothalamic area and interomediolateral columns of the spinal cord) that are responsible for controlling thermoregulatory function are susceptible to disease-related pathology in individuals with MS.

Hypothermia has been documented in a small number of MS patients with core temperatures ranging from 30 to 35°C. Hypothermia can be profound but tolerated in MS patients. Lesions within the CNS, specifically the hypothalamus, may impair the homeostatic control of body temperature in individuals with MS and allow for atypical fluctuations in body temperature". http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/arti...MC2980380/#B72

Let your neurologist know this happened. Please let us know what he/ she says.

Best wishes,
    Kimba

“When you change the way you look at things, the things you look at change.” ― Max Planck

Comment

Thermoregulation

Originally posted by Kimba22 View Post
      Hi artfan,

That sounds terrible. I had dangerously high fevers as a reaction to one of the DMT's before, and went through cycles of burning up and then shivering so much my teeth were chattering. Do you know what your temperature was when the shivering began? Shivering is the body's way of trying to warm up. Although heat sensitivity is more common in MS patients, hypothermia can also occur. Google thermoregulation multiple sclerosis or thermoregulation hypothermia multiple sclerosis and you'll find plenty of links.

"Areas of the sympathetic nervous system (hypothalamic area and interomediolateral columns of the spinal cord) that are responsible for controlling thermoregulatory function are susceptible to disease-related pathology in individuals with MS.

Hypothermia has been documented in a small number of MS patients with core temperatures ranging from 30 to 35°C. Hypothermia can be profound but tolerated in MS patients. Lesions within the CNS, specifically the hypothalamus, may impair the homeostatic control of body temperature in individuals with MS and allow for atypical fluctuations in body temperature". http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/arti...MC2980380/#B72

Let your neurologist know this happened. Please let us know what he/ she says.

Best wishes,
      Hello Kimba22,

Thank you for responding. I was wrong when I said I didn't have any fever. I just found my notes from my symptoms log and apparently I had a fever of 101 degrees F and it continued for about 48 hours fluctuating between 100 and 101 and accompanied with a headache. I VERY RARELY have any fevers so this was quite something. However, since the fever was considered low, I did not go to the hospital. BTW, this occurred on August 10, 2014. Summer. Weird.

It was quite the experience...a very strange one at that!

I told my gp about it, at the time, and it didn't seem to bother him at all. If I can get to see a neurologist, specializing in MS, I will definitely bring up the matter of my thermoregulation problems. Hopefully, I will get an answer and find out what caused it.

Comment

Working...
      X