Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I SIGNED UP FOR MY VA HEALTH COVERAGE DUE TO SC DISABILITY TODAY BUT......

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I SIGNED UP FOR MY VA HEALTH COVERAGE DUE TO SC DISABILITY TODAY BUT......

They don't know anything about my MS. Needless to say this makes me more than a bit nervous. In a couple of days I will know who my Primary care doctor will be and I am sure I will have am appointment scheduled with them soon.

I'm concerned what will happen when I start asking for refills of some the medications I take on a regular basis, for symptoms and for pain. I take 100mg 3x daily morphine for the pain, 2 mg 2x daily for dizziness along with Xanax and the list goes on. Some of them do not pertain to MS. But I know at some point I will have to tell them I have MS.

Any ideas on what I might expect. The ankle injury was 22 years prior to any type of MS symptoms as far as I know. I am still going through my records. But I highly doubt I will find anything pertaining to MS.

So my question is when should I disclose that I have MS? I would rather have my RX filled at the VA, but I will pay for my civilian doctor to get my RX's and go to the VA and have them filled. It's a confusing situation if you have never dealt with it before.

I can see now it will take me time to figure this all out.
    Dx'd 4/1/11. First symptoms in 2001. Avonex 4/11, Copaxone 5/12, Tecfidera 4/13 Gilenya 4/14-10/14 Currently on no DMT's, Started Aubagio 9/21/15. Back on Avonex 10/15

It's hard to beat a person that never gives up.
    Babe Ruth

Way; You really, really need to talk to a Veteran's Service Officer.
    You can find them at veteran's org's like the PVA or DAV (or check the blue pages of your phone book).

In your prev. posts, it sounds like you already have some form of health care coverage. Talking to the VA now on your own could possibly get you in some hot water later, and the VA NEVER forgets if you mess it up.

VSO's are trained to help us out and represent us with the VA system. There are probably 10,000 pages of rules and regs and you really want someone on your side who understands that system.

Just be ready to put all your cards on the table with your VSO. They'll need to know about all of your med. coverage and all income from yourself and family members (that includes documentation).

Comment

Thank you Bob698. I have already disclosed all of my family income and my current insurance coverage which I intend to drop since I have finally received my VA Health Benefits. It is not my intentions to hide anything from the VA. I'm just not sure when the best time is to disclose my MS. My service connected disability had nothing to do with my MS. I have already told my VSO about my MS. Now what he did with the information is anybody's guess. To be honest he is kind of a jerk.

I am assuming I will have an appointment scheduled to see my Primary Care Doctor once one is assigned. I know I will eventually have to tell them due to all the medication I take. I just want to do it at the right time and in the right way.
      Dx'd 4/1/11. First symptoms in 2001. Avonex 4/11, Copaxone 5/12, Tecfidera 4/13 Gilenya 4/14-10/14 Currently on no DMT's, Started Aubagio 9/21/15. Back on Avonex 10/15

Babe Ruth

Comment

Hi Way-s-,

Sorry I can no longer read what I am responding to, that said If you are on a MS dmd they are going to NEED to know that and ALL medications you are taking, not just VA meds that includes OTC meds as well.

If anything IMO, telling the VA about your MS should be done right away, not next century.

Sorry, I'm having problems typing in this site

Email me

G++++++++++++++

Comment

Originally posted by Waydwnsouth1 View Post
          They don't know anything about my MS. Needless to say this makes me more than a bit nervous. In a couple of days I will know who my Primary care doctor will be and I am sure I will have am appointment scheduled with them soon.

I'm concerned what will happen when I start asking for refills of some the medications I take on a regular basis, for symptoms and for pain. I take 100mg 3x daily morphine for the pain, 2 mg 2x daily for dizziness along with Xanax and the list goes on. Some of them do not pertain to MS. But I know at some point I will have to tell them I have MS.

Any ideas on what I might expect. The ankle injury was 22 years prior to any type of MS symptoms as far as I know. I am still going through my records. But I highly doubt I will find anything pertaining to MS.

So my question is when should I disclose that I have MS? I would rather have my RX filled at the VA, but I will pay for my civilian doctor to get my RX's and go to the VA and have them filled. It's a confusing situation if you have never dealt with it before.

I can see now it will take me time to figure this all out.
          In addition to what Gomer said, the VA will not refill an RX from a non-VA doctor unless the VA has sent you to see that doctor.
          Dennis

The soul of a song will lift your spirits.

Comment

Originally posted by Sailors Song View Post
            In addition to what Gomer said, the VA will not refill an RX from a non-VA doctor unless the VA has sent you to see that doctor.

I'm not sure why you would want to keep your MS private from the VA. If you had symptoms within 7 years of discharge you should even try to get it service connected (especially if you are not 100% SC). If this is a possibility please request your complete C-File and pour through them looking for symptoms that could be MS-related. Maybe your MS will never be service connected, but the VA can still treat it. As for VSOs, they really are hit or miss. Some are great, but many lack the the expertise to work on more complex cases like MS. PVA typically does a better job than most, but don't go with the first guy you talk to.

The VA did take over my "outside" prescriptions, but I am not on pain medications. I believe it is unlikely the VA will take over the morphine without using their own pain management doctors. The VA conversation about opioids has changed after getting negative publicity for overmedicating veterans.

Comment

Old Thread.

I believe WDS is now seeing a MS doc at the New Orleans VA. Please correct me it I am wrong WDS.
              Katie
              "Yep, I have MS, and it does have Me!"
              "My MS is a Journey for One."
              Dx: 1999 DMDS: Avonex, Copaxone, Rebif, currently on Tysabri

Comment

Katie you are absolutely correct. I have already had an appointment with her and I must say she is absolutely wonderful. I disclose my MS on my very first PCP visit and she set up a MRI and also set the appointment up to see the Neurologist. I am slowly but surely learning how to navigate my way around the VA system. Thus far I have no complaints whatsoever. I couldn't be happier. Knock on wood.

Katie I posted a thread about MS and VA disability today. If you have the chance please check that out and set me straight if you don't mind. Thank you. BTW I am keeping up with closely on your posts. I'm so sorry for what you are going through.

Babe Ruth

Comment

Working...
                X