Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Started Lemtrada May 18, 2015

All,
    I am hoping this post helps someone or even encourages some additional sharing about Lemtrada. I have had my fill of Goole reports of the FDA w/ Lemtrada finally approved in the U.S., as well as the black box warnings( I get it.).

It has been hard finding the real experience of people taking Lemtrada. When I asked my docs they were very vanilla in their responses...everyone is different...Agreed, but give me something besides getting a rash. So here is Day 1 for me.

I had 1000 ml of Solumedrol, 20 ml of IV Pepcid and 50 ml IV of Benedryl ( which knocked my socks off). I slept for the next two hours, only waking when they had to show me the Lemtrada and I had to verify my name DOB, RX And dosing.

All was humming along until the 3rd hour. I started getting incredibly warm, face and ears on fire and tightness in my chest. They immediately stopped the infusion, flushed me on saline and called the doc. They gave me 25 ml of Benedryl, and gave me cold washcloths for my forehead and neck, plus a little fan. I was still warm, but not as much. My temp was 99.4, which for me at 97.5 spells a slight fever. They restarted my Lemtrada after 20 min. and then came the Migraine. Right at the end of the days infusion, w/ 2 hours of observation I started with a headache that progressed into the worst migraine I have had in a long time. They gave me 100 mg of fioracet and I drank a ton of caffeine. It got rid of some of it, but the edge was still there. 3 hrs later I took an Excedrine Migraine (at home) which helped, took away the edge, but the headache lingers, which has made me nauseous and quite miserable. I also have pain in my joints and neck. Chest tightness stopped after about an hour on the flush. They are attributing this to the Solumedrol, although this has never happened to me in the past w/Solumedrol . And chest tightness although down on the list of side effects does exist for Lemtrada.

So, this was Day 1, not designed to scare anyone, just give one person's perspective and experience. My docs did downplay the side effects like it would be"easy peasy". Then again, I was told the same thing about the PLEX treatment, and there was nothing easy peasy about that. The rash was the Main item mentioned over and over. 53% in one of the trials, Headache is 52%.

There were pros, 3 hours did go well. My hope is tomorrow we can have a better plan before we start based on today. I learned today, absolutely make sure you speak up and don't worry about it. The nurse said I did the right thing telling her and not to hesitate doing so.

Sorry for the long post... I really hope it helps someone out. I do believe this drug will work...it just takes some time and perseverance.

Best to everyone,
    Wellnesschic

I did pretty good all week during the infusion. I really didn't have any headaches just a couple of mild ones on 2 different days., but another lady in my group had a really bad headache the first day but did not have much of a problems with headaches the rest of the week.

I think the infusions were a little rough but I expected that. I didn't have any specific problems just a feeling of being unwell. I did have a rash the 3rd day and a little bit of a rash the other 2 days but it cleared up by lunch.

After I got home on Saturday and Sunday the same thing I had a light rash in the morning.
    But now it's been about 10 days out and starting on about the 4th day after the infusions I have just gotten pregressively weaker and weaker. Yesterday I was better and thought things were looking up but today I think I'm worse.

My infusion week was May 4-8, monday-friday, in Cullman Alabama.

I hope things will be better tomorrow. I tried to sleep most of the day that helped. I got blindfolds from the drugstore to blockout light.
    I'm just getting concerned about when I'm suppose to get better. I have read blogs of people back on their treadmill a couple of days after the infusion. I don't understand that because I'm so weak I have trouble walking, I'm walking some witth my cane because the last thing I need is a fall.

But another thing that I feel has set me back is that I had to have knee surgery the Thursday before the Monday that the infusions began. I sure wasn't going to do surgery after Lemtrada and I was not going to put off my Lemtrada as it had been canceled 2 times due to insurance. My doctor said since the knee surgery wasn;t real serious he did not want me to cancel again, I am not sure if I did the right thing, but it's done.

I'm like you, I wish I had more "real" feedback from people who have been through this instead of the blogs I've read that they were a little sleepy and in a few days they were better then new. This is not the case for me.
    Again I realize I could be much worse, I don't hurt, I'm just soooo weak and just overall feeling very unwell.

By the end of this week I maybe feeling great and out walking and back at life and this will all just seem a little inconvenient but for now I'm feeling very discouraged.

Comment

Thanks for sharing - it is good to hear these experiences with the infusion week and beyond.

I'm on target for starting Lemtrada mid-June and will provide my experience.

Comment

@regigiGirl -Discouragement

Regigigirl,

I am sorry you are discouraged. I read of two cases of people who took Lemtrada on Europe. Both reported extreme weakness by the 2nd and 3rd week post infusion. They said after that it took about a month or so where they started feeling better. Try to hang in and rest as much as you can. You will get to feeling better, it just takes time and I think that varies for everyone. Stay in touch, you'd experience is important.

Good luck. I wish you well.
        Wellness hoc

Comment

PB909-Follow-up

YES! Please share. I will make sure I check back to see how u you are doing.

Good Luck and I will say prayers for you!

Wellnesschic

Comment

My Lemtrada experience was posted to another thread about being SPMS...

I too, had my infusions in Cullman, AL at the end of January 2015 and had a "disaster day" at the end of the first day as I was going to bed. I was so weak that I could not get off the floor - I didn't fall, but just kind of slid to the ground and had to call the EMS to come get me up.

Same thing happened the next morning trying to get back to the clinic - it was worse than the night before - I couldn't even help the paramedic get me onto a lift chair!

I felt bad for the better part of the 60 days prior to my neuro appt in March; tried to (but didn't) catch the horrible cold that my husband and daughter caught in April, but had terrible MS flare up.

I have finally begun to feel better this past month (May). What I notice most is that my MS symptoms, when a flare-up occurs, is TOTALLY different than they used to be. Now, I can become so weak as to not be able to walk for several hours. This can come on at any moment, if I get a UTI or any other type of infection. I can sleep if off, but the weakness remains until I get rid of the infection or over the cold.

I have noticed that it has become harder to walk since the Lemtrada infusion - I am not sure what to make of it, since I am SPMS and the neuro did not hold out much hope for any improvement in my current disabilities. I will be swimming soon and hope that I can regain some strength and mobility in that side or that the Lemtrada will continue to help me improve and that I just take longer to show results.

Best wishes in your journey!

Comment

Well, OP and Boys and Girls, I thought I'd chime in here with a little more encouragement. My infusions were March 23-27, and I felt more than a little crappy when checking in on the first day. I was having worst relapse of my life at that moment, and so the Solumedrol was a VERY helpful kick in the pants to the MS. I won't credit the Lemtrada by dint of the fact that Solumedrol has always had a beneficial effect on relapses for me, and this time it was mega doses for five days and not the usual three. Go, Solumedrol!!!

On the bright side, I escaped punishing side effects from Lemtrada. I can't blame feeling bad after the infusions on IT because I was feeling so bad before then, anything after was an improvement. SO far, I have not had a reactivation of the relapse symptoms I was having before the Solumedrol, so I will credit Lemtrada for the preventative aspects it is lauded for, and be happy for that.

Here it is five weeks later and I can say with confidence I feel 100% better. And folks, you wouldn't have recognized me between the two dates. I haven't fallen over or done a face plant in some time; My speech is clearing up very well; My attitude has improved; I am feeling positive again; and now instead of feeling like my life is over, I am plotting my next takeover of the world.

Pinky: "Gee, Brain, what are we going to do tonight?"
              Brain: "Tonight, we're going to take over THE WORLD."
              (credits to Warner Bros.' epic cartoon about laboratory mice Pinky and the Brain)

Comment

Lemtrada June 15-19

So, I did Lemtrada June 15-19 so I'm 3 weeks post treatment now. My legs are extremely weak and the fatigue is severe. I'm hearing the weakness more and more from other people who have taken it and I'm waiting for that better today so I'm able to walk more than a few steps without my legs going to jelly. That being said, I started Lemtrada in the worst relapse of my life...I had to wait 3 months for Lemtrada to get approved with my insurance and b/c of that delay I believe I went too long being on absolutely nothing to control this disease which caused the worst relapse ever! My legs weren't as weak as they are now though...my main problem was vertigo and I had severe vision problems that I'm currently still dealing with. I believe the steroids help my symptoms to improve a little, but definitely not back to normal. I just wanted to share about the weakness to let you know you're not alone!

Comment

Working...
                X