Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is spasticity permanent?

Hi all
    I was wondering if spasticity early on in the disease is permanent?will I always be stiff? Is there anything I can do about it?

Symptoms of Multiple Sclerosis can be permanent. This is the case for any symptom.

A symptom of psoriatic arthritis, which you have been diagnosed with, causes stiffness.
    Diagnosed 1984
    “Lightworkers aren’t here to avoid the darkness…they are here to transform the darkness through the illuminating power of love.” Muses from a mystic

Comment

spasticity permanent?

I have been asking the same question. I had very mild spasticity that became moderately severe after I stopped working. Anyone know if the severity of spasticity is related to level of activity and or stress? Besides medication, are there other ways to improve the spasticity?

Comment

When you have RRMS, although any symptom can be permanent, symptoms can also remit. Physical therapy or occupational therapy can help; you'll need a referral from your doctor to make an appointment. There are also some meds that can help.

Here's an article with some info: http://www.nationalmssociety.org/Sym...oms/Spasticity
        ~ Faith
        MSWorld Volunteer -- Moderator since JUN2012
        (now a Mimibug)

Symptoms began in JAN02
        - Dx with RRMS in OCT03, following 21 months of limbo, ruling out lots of other dx, and some "probable stroke" and "probable CNS" dx for awhile.
        - In 2008, I was back in limbo briefly, then re-dx w/ MS: JUL08

- Betaseron NOV03-AUG08; Copaxone20 SEPT08-APR15; Copaxone40 APR15-present
        - Began receiving SSDI / LTD NOV08. Not employed. I volunteer in my church and community.

Comment

Originally posted by Katandjc View Post
          Hi all
          I was wondering if spasticity early on in the disease is permanent?will I always be stiff? Is there anything I can do about it?
          I read that untreated or untreatable spasticity can cause contracture- which sounded pretty permanent.
          10/2005 AFP/ MS?later:TN
          later:ADEM/MS,
          5/08 MS IVSM, Copaxone

Comment

Spasticity frequently appears as muscle stiffness, muscle fatigue, muscle spasms (cramping, pulling), lack of coordination, gait problems, and even pain. A number of factors can increase spasticity like: fatigue, stress, heat/cold, illness, position, humidity, etc.
            I tend to compare spasticity like a rope that can be loosened or tightened. Normally, a rope is flexible and you can even tie it into knots, but pulled tight it loses it becomes rigid. If the rope is too loose you don't have enough muscle tone (wet noodle).

Mild spasticity can be tight and may respond well to stretching or warming the area. It's common for MS patients to report to the ER for chest pains or heart attack symptoms to discover they are having a MS hug. This is essentially spasticity of the muscles between the rib cage that can feel like a heart attack. Severe spasticity can immobilize someone with excruciating spasms and loss of function. For example: stroke victims may have a hand balled up due to spasticity.

Spasticity should not be considered "permanent" as many treatment options exist. Reducing your overall stress load can help spasticity, as can breathing exercises, meditation, prayer, etc. Other patients may prefer using heat/cold, massage, TENS units, acupuncture, etc. Physical and occupational therapy can often help develop an exercise program and help with activities of daily living. If spasticity is impacting your speech or swallowing a speech therapist can be a wonderful help. Many neurologists will freely prescribe spasticity medications like oral Baclofen or Tizanidine. Benzodiazepines, Gabapentin and even anxiety drugs may also be used. Several of the oral medications have unwanted side effects, especially in higher doses so keep before and after notes. For chronic spasticity in specific muscles Botox may be used. For more widespread spasticity a mechanical implant or surgery may be considered.

The key point is that spasticity is impacting your quality of life so treating it is important. I would suggest you start with the easier things like stretching before moving to medications. See if your doctor can have a physical therapist evaluate you and create an exercise/stretching program for your needs. As time goes on you may have to use more than one therapy, but spasticity is largely manageable.

Here's the NMSS link to spasticity.

http://www.nationalmssociety.org/Sym...oms/Spasticity

Comment

Scoliosis

With my spasticity I have trouble with my gait. I get acupuncture 2x per week. She mentioned the other day, that my spine looked as though I had scoliosis. I never had it before. Is it possible to get this later in life?
              Teresa

Comment

For me I consider it permanent as a symptom I will always have to fight or manage. Baclofen and magnesium help me immensely for daily issues.

If it’s increased from cold or heat, all I can do is lay down and try to ignore it. Stretching also helps, but I have to be careful with that so I don’t cramp up a different way 🤣
                Mary M...........

Comment

Stretch

Personally, my spasticity has never eased, but has been kept at a standstill for periods of time with mindful stretching at least twice a day as directed by a physical therapist.

Less than 4 yrs since dx and I have a baclofen pump, PT twice/week, and just started working after 7 months off. Fatigue and spasticity are always present at some level, but stretches after activity help the next day for my spasticity.

Comment

Working...
                  X