Anxiety

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Anxiety

I never had any problems with anxiety until after my diagnosis. Just today I've had two panic attacks because my landlord is coming to do some work on Saturday and my place isn't exactly the cleanest. Does anyone else seem to have anxiety issues after MS diagnosis?
    Diagnosed with RRMS on 3/15/2013...beware the ides of March!
    Rebif from 5/2013 - 09/2014.
    Gilenya since 11/2014.
    Also taking vitamin D3, fish oil, magnesium, and B12.
    EDSS 3.

Hi aredmosquito,

Multiple Sclerosis, as well as other chronic health issues, can cause anxiety/panic attacks due to worry, fear and uncertainty. Trying to live a normal life with a chronic disease can be quite overwhelming Anxiety can be helped with medication and Psychotherapy.

Take care
    Diagnosed 1984
    “Lightworkers aren’t here to avoid the darkness…they are here to transform the darkness through the illuminating power of love.” Muses from a mystic

Comment

How did it go?

Hi there. I'm fairly new to this site....saw your post and it jumped out at me, as anxiety is something new for me also. I know that it can be quite difficult for us. How did it go on Saturday? I hope it wasn't too bad for you.

Cathy
      DX Sept 2013 SPMS

Comment

being anxious because you no longer feel like yourself or are unsure because of all the changes and uncertain symptoms that pop up with MS is very normal.
        if you weren't a little nervous about having MS, i think they'd be more worried about you!

MS is a very unsettling disease. it can make a genius feel as dumb as rocks and an painter like a preschooler with finger paints.
        it takes away many of the attributes that we thought made us 'us'.
        for example, my life was wrapped up in being the best preschool teacher possible. went to every seminar that was offered, read up, did extra stuff on my own time, etc.

just one fall in the classroom and 'bam!' my life changed in those few seconds it took to hit the floor.
        wc for 2 yrs., than unemployable because i was in wc (same person) but people only saw wc!

you've got to decide what's important to you. and have to let go of the things you can no longer do or do as well as you used to do.
        you have to learn to be happy with who and where you are.
        it's not easy, probably everyone on the website have/ are struggling with that.

i pray that you find peace.

God bless ya!

ps. we would like to keep up with you! how did it go? were you able to make it through sat. ok?
        "All things are possible for those who believe." Jesus

Comment

Thanks everyone! Saturday ended up going just fine. I just find myself ultra-anxious and paranoid over absolutely nothing lately!
          Diagnosed with RRMS on 3/15/2013...beware the ides of March!
          Rebif from 5/2013 - 09/2014.
          Gilenya since 11/2014.
          Also taking vitamin D3, fish oil, magnesium, and B12.
          EDSS 3.

Comment

You said it, Poohb3ar.
            For a year or two anxiety really affected my behavior, how I reacted to everything. Oh, there was plenty of stress in my life, but my reaction to it was out of control. It's sad to look back on that time now, because it affected my daughter. Being unsure and worried and paranoid about everything made me so defensive, nervous, and irrational. I sure wasn't myself. Went from being someone who carried a 4.0 GPA through college while being a full time wife and mother and working a part time job to being someone who could barely get through the day without feeling like an idiot.

I wish I'd recognized at the time what was going on. Or I wish my hubby would have pointed it out. I would have talked to my doctor about meds or therapy like Snoopy suggests.

Take care of yourself aredmosquito. I'm glad your day went well.
            Portia

Comment

I've had MS for thirteen years, and, thank goodness, I have experienced panic attacks only twice. Both times, they occurred while I was in an MS flare.

One time, it lasted for 2 hours, and I was so terrified, although I had no idea what I was afraid of. I had two people with me the entire time, providing much social support, but, it didn't seem to console or reassure me.

The other time, I was absolutely sure that the police were going to come and arrest me, although I had no idea what for. My husband tried, for a long time, to convince me that was not going to happen. Finally, he called the police department and explained the problem and had an officer reassure me over the phone. That finally worked.

Regarding anxiety in general, I find that:
              • MS affects my anxiety, and,
              • And, anxiety affects my MS.

Let me explain.
              1. MS affects my anxiety by triggering difficult to manage stress over events or activities that are "normal" stressors for other people and not difficult for them to cope with. One example of this is flying by myself. I'm fine if my husband is with me, but, if I need to fly by myself, I stress over whether I will find the correct gate, whether I will get there on time, whether I'll have to go on a train or something to get to another concourse, etc. I've learned to manage that by taking a cane along so that I "look" disabled, and requesting disability assistance. I also choose not to be employed. I receive SSDI, and I volunteer about 10 - 15 hours per week in my church and my community. But, I could, instead, find a part time job with not very many hours and earn some income. However, during the first 2 or 3 years that I was on disability, I did that a couple of time, and ended up quitting because, for some reason, it just seemed more stressful than volunteering.
              2. Anxiety affects my MS by triggering MS flares. Most of my MS flares seem to be triggered by stress. It is not uncommon for even a "good" stress that does not even feel stressful to me to trigger a flare. For that reason, I have spent many vacations in an MS flare, and have even had to cancel some, because I've been hospitalized.

Just some of the yucky symptoms of my MS.
              ~ Faith
              MSWorld Volunteer -- Moderator since JUN2012
              (now a Mimibug)

Symptoms began in JAN02
              - Dx with RRMS in OCT03, following 21 months of limbo, ruling out lots of other dx, and some "probable stroke" and "probable CNS" dx for awhile.
              - In 2008, I was back in limbo briefly, then re-dx w/ MS: JUL08

- Betaseron NOV03-AUG08; Copaxone20 SEPT08-APR15; Copaxone40 APR15-present
              - Began receiving SSDI / LTD NOV08. Not employed. I volunteer in my church and community.

Comment

This anxiety is running my life right now. Sorry to hear others go through this too but glad to not be alone any more. It's been so frustrating trying to explain it to people. I can't make it make sense. I feel like they just think I'm crazy and could just get a hold of myself if I wanted to. Not the case. Do you have mood swings that go with it? Is the anxiety RR too? Thanks for sharing.
                T.

Comment

Panic Attack with Flare

I have had a full blown panic attack during my first major flare. A second attack just before classes started in my high school. I had a lot of pressure on me both times, but fatigue is the main trigger. At certain point, I am exhausted and my body rebels against the stress.

The hardest part of have MS related panic attacks, and even anxiety, is that people don't respect that your not making it up; you really just can't deal with it today. You'll try again tomorrow. You are not a quitter. But today you need to sleep, be alone, (for me sometimes) NOT be alone. I guess people just take for granted their healthy brains, and don't realize there can be more to MS then falling over.
                  Gatitude can transform common days into Thanksgivings, turn routine jobs into joy, and change ordinary opportunities into blessings." - William Arthur Ward.

Comment

Originally posted by SpottedCat View Post
                    ... I guess people just take for granted their healthy brains, and don't realize there can be more to MS then falling over.
                    I sometimes explain it that, because MS is neurological and affects the brain, and, the brain controls everything, that any symptom we have could be, but might not be, related to MS. MS can affect our mobility, our cognition, our moods, our energy (or lack of it), our mental health, our bathroom habits, etc, etc, etc. It just depends where the lesions and the damage to the myelin is.
                    ~ Faith
                    MSWorld Volunteer -- Moderator since JUN2012
                    (now a Mimibug)

Symptoms began in JAN02
                    - Dx with RRMS in OCT03, following 21 months of limbo, ruling out lots of other dx, and some "probable stroke" and "probable CNS" dx for awhile.
                    - In 2008, I was back in limbo briefly, then re-dx w/ MS: JUL08

- Betaseron NOV03-AUG08; Copaxone20 SEPT08-APR15; Copaxone40 APR15-present
                    - Began receiving SSDI / LTD NOV08. Not employed. I volunteer in my church and community.

Comment

tjcann - the anxiety can definitely be caused by damage in a certain part of the brain. Intellectually I know from the literature out there that psychotherapy and meditation can positively (in both senses of the word) affect our brains but there are days when it can feel so overwhelming. It takes regular practice but over time we can heal ourselves or at least ameliorate our symptoms. I hope you feel better soon.

Spottedcat - I'm sorry to hear about your difficulties with other people's lack of understanding. Never feel like you're making it up - that's so unfair. It would be so much easier if people educated themselves more about this disease. I'm glad you know what you need when the fatigue sets in and I hope you relay your needs to your support system. In my opinion the more they know the better - for you and them.

Every day is a new opportunity to practice something to bring more peace of mind. Ahh, if I could just remember that. Every new morning is a 'reset' - a chance to implement change. Never stop trying.

Good luck all.

Comment

Working...
                      X