Homophobic Dr's?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Homophobic Dr's?

I know they are out there homophobic Dr.'s. And I'm sure that they can't openly discriminate BUT. For awhile now I've been uncomfortable with, of all my Dr.'s, my Urologist. I wasn't anything he said but everytime Ive seen him I just get a feeling. Then one appointment he came in with a woman wearing a lab coat. He as usual was short and direct and proceeded to have me drop my pants. I coughed turned around bent over the table for a prostate exam and then I needed to ask him some sexual questions. All the while that lady was still standing there. I joked that after the cleaning lady in the hospital saw my junk being cathed I had no dignity left but sitting in that exam room trying to talk to him was extremely humiliating. Especially since he not once introduced me to that woman or even told me why she was there. She could have been his wife for all I know. Since then I've been asking myself and wondering about the meds he's prescribed. I decided that I just can't go back to him and got a referral for a new Urologist who I will see next month.
    So here FINALLY I wonder if this has happened to anyone else? And what you did about it?

Ugh, that's the worst! It has never happened to me, but you have to like your Dr...especially the ones you have to talk with about sex! You have to feel comfortable enough to be able to do that. I'm very glad to hear that you got a referral to another uro. I hope this new one is great.
    MS dx's 2000
    Tysabrian

¤ fate is not just who's cooking smells good, but which way the wind blows ¤

Comment

Hi Alan,

That's awful. I think you did the right thing. Maybe that woman was an intern? Doesn't matter, though. If you don't feel comfortable, that's more than enough reason to change doctors.

The only thing that's happened to me that's sort of equivalent was a doctor who did a pelvic exam after I had a hysterectomy and radiation for cancer. He was so rough with me that I felt like I was being assaulted. I felt at the time that he didn't like me because I didn't look str8. I sort of reported it when they sent me an electronic survey about my visit. Who knows if they ever followed up on it? They certainly never responded to me. Probably figured I was just another hysterical hysterectomy case.

Anyway, I hope your new doctor is good. You deserve to be treated with respect.
      PPMS
      Dx 07/13

Comment

Working...
      X