FILED FOR SERVICE CONNECTED DISABILITY HAVE A QUESTION

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

FILED FOR SERVICE CONNECTED DISABILITY HAVE A QUESTION

After waiting 7 months since filing for a service connected disability I finally received my paperwork on where and when to report on Tuesday and Wednesday of next week. As this is my first dealing with the VA is there anything I should know? I don't know what that may be but just curious as what I should be aware of?

Any input would be greatly appreciated. I am going round and round with them now about getting my VA Health Benefits under Catastrophic Disabilities. I was making great headway then suddenly they quit returning phone calls and e-mails.
    Dx'd 4/1/11. First symptoms in 2001. Avonex 4/11, Copaxone 5/12, Tecfidera 4/13 Gilenya 4/14-10/14 Currently on no DMT's, Started Aubagio 9/21/15. Back on Avonex 10/15

It's hard to beat a person that never gives up.
    Babe Ruth

As many here know, I just went thru this myself.

Sorry but this new & broken site will not let me See your post s I type. Plus it adds mistkes as I type Faster than I can enter / corret them. Email me, My addy should be in my profie. Anythngbeyond reading posts is a nighmare.

Comment

Hi gomer,

I'm sorry to hear you are having difficulties with the new site, which needed to be changed in attempt to keep up with ever changing technology. There were just too many technical difficulties occurring with the old site, and no way to update it, either. It was inevitable. Many, many hours have been invested by volunteers creating this new site. Then making changes, based on feedback, to make it more user friendly, which they continue to do. And like anything new, it takes a bit to familiarize yourself it. Someone will be happy to assist you if you contact technicalsupport@msworld.org.

Best of luck to both of you receiving your well deserved VA benefits.
      Kimba

“When you change the way you look at things, the things you look at change.” ― Max Planck

Comment

Best advice I could give is not to sugar-coat or downplay anything. Show them exactly what you are going through on your worst day.

Tell them how it affects you BOTH physically and mentally. Leave "Macho Warrior" at home.

Expect them to low-ball the percentage. That is O.K. Because you can refile for an increase. The key is to get SC.

Good luck with your exams.
        Katie
        "Yep, I have MS, and it does have Me!"
        "My MS is a Journey for One."
        Dx: 1999 DMDS: Avonex, Copaxone, Rebif, currently on Tysabri

Comment

Katie hit the nail on the head. I followed her advice for my exam back in January. The VA contractor I had to see was great. She took time to listen and answer any questions I had. I explained what a bad day for me is like and she worded her exam statements accordingly. Now if the VA and MEB process was a little quicker I'd be all set. Best of luck to you.

John
          Diagnosed RRMS April 2014
          Trying to be the best dad I can!

Comment

Well I did get approved and I left the "Macho Warrior" at home. The doctor I saw may have said 5 words the whole time we were together. so I just volunteered information as to how bad it was and how it affected my physically and mentally daily. I even told him how difficult it was to drive due to the injury.

It took 6 days to get my 10% approval letter which was yesterday and the money was in my account today. A whole lot faster than I had anticipated.
            Dx'd 4/1/11. First symptoms in 2001. Avonex 4/11, Copaxone 5/12, Tecfidera 4/13 Gilenya 4/14-10/14 Currently on no DMT's, Started Aubagio 9/21/15. Back on Avonex 10/15

Babe Ruth

Comment

Originally posted by Waydwnsouth1 View Post
              Well I did get approved and I left the "Macho Warrior" at home. The doctor I saw may have said 5 words the whole time we were together. so I just volunteered information as to how bad it was and how it affected my physically and mentally daily. I even told him how difficult it was to drive due to the injury.

It took 6 days to get my 10% approval letter which was yesterday and the money was in my account today. A whole lot faster than I had anticipated.
              Congratulations, you have taken the first step and started the process! The general place to start for VA benefits information is http://www.benefits.va.gov/compensation/apply.asp but also, there is more information about what to expect when filing a VA benefit at https://heroanswers.org/239/what-sho...ted-disability and the process for filing claims.

Comment

My PCP has a friend that knows the VA system like the back of his hand and he has been assisting me in my appeal process.

I did get Service Connected with a priority group 3 for my benefits. I now have a a as PCP and have been seeing a VA Neurologist since October I believe.

The VA has supplied me with a "Cadillac", as one veteran put it at the clinic, of a Rollator and more recently an Ultralight Wheelchair. So far I'm very pleased with the treatment I have received.

Babe Ruth

Comment

Working...
                X