Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Copaxone Site Reaction (Itch/Welt) Questions

Hi all,

I have been on Copaxone 40 ml for about 4 months now. About a day after each injection, I get a large red, hot, extremely itchy welt at the site. I've been told that this reaction can diminish with time (though that hasn't happened for me yet). If you've experienced this kind of reaction, did it resolve for you over time? How long did it take?

I've tried all sorts of creams, etc., to relieve the itch, but nothing works for more than a few minutes, so I'm considering a switch to another DMD, but wanted to check for wisdom here first.

Thank you!

This was my experience as well, I did diminish over time. I have been on the 40 since 3/14 it seemed to take a year

My MS doctor explained it quite well, that it's a foreign substance and that your body should recognize it as that.

I have stayed with it and I'm doing well. Good luck.

Comment

Thank you!

Comment

I was on the lower dose daily a few years ago. I had pretty bad site reactions too. Unfortunately they never diminished over the next year. I tried all the suggestions but wound up having fewer and fewer places I could inject into. After a year I had to switch meds. I know for many people the reactions do lessen though. Other than the reactions, I felt it helped keep flares at bay better than my current med.

Comment

I gave up on Copaxone because of the skin reactions. Now, I am on an oral therapy.

Comment

Do you experience any of the flu like symptoms with the oral med?

Comment

I'm on an oral med (Aubagio) and have never had flu-like symptoms.
              I did have very mild diarrhea (didn't even use an OTC remedy) for about 2 weeks about a month after starting. After that, no problems at all. One pill, once a day. Simple.
              "Hope for the best and plan for the worst. That way, all your surprises will be pleasant."
              Verin Mathwin, The Wheel of Time by Robert Jordan

Comment

It does get better

I've been taking Copaxone for nearly 8 years. In my experience, the itching associated with the "welt" at the injection site did diminish over time. I still will get injections that itch, but they are now the exception rather than the rule and the itch is not unbearable. If you are using the auto-ject, check your depth setting. I was advised to start out at "6" and as I gained experience, make adjustments. A "6" works for me most of the time, but the fat on the front of my legs is very thin so when I inject there, I will reduce the setting to a "5" or "4" to make sure I stay in the fat layer.

Comment

Working...
                X