numb arm

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

numb arm

I have been experiencing an all new symptom. The tingling will start in my left hand and within moments the entire arm is tingling, burning, electrical type sensations that travel up into my shoulder and neck. While this is happening the arm is pretty much uncontrollable. I have to hold it against my body and wait it out. It usually only lasts a few minutes but the tingling in the hand will remain. Now, the weird part is that it seems to only be occurring after I drink a beer. I live in the Pacific Northwest, the land of great microbrews. My husband and I enjoy going out to hear live music and enjoy a pint of beer. It has happened a few times without any beer. But normally not. I am not a huge drinker, like I said, a beer on occasion while out to eat or hearing music. I am wondering if the alcohol is doing something to the nerves like a stimulant. It scares me and takes away a simple pleasure. Any thoughts or someone else that this has happened to?

Hi goddessmoon:
    Alcohol isn't a stimulant. It's a central nervous system depressant. So it's possible that the alcohol is inhibiting some neurotransmitter or other body chemical and causing the nerves to malfunction in a way they don't under other conditions.

Comment

Are you a lefty? Maybe holding the weight of a pint is enough to pinch a nerve or set off a musculo-skeletal thing...
      1st sx 11/26/09; Copaxone from 12/1/11 to 7/13/18
      NOT ALL SX ARE MS!

Comment

Not an expert by any means, but my experience has been that whatever symptoms you may already be prone to - tingling in your case, dizziness/eye tracking issues in mine - are intensified temporarily with alcohol. As jreagan70 mentioned, alcohol is a CNS depressant. I'd guess that if you already have an area where the signal transmission is somewhat weakened due to MS, the effects of alcohol will further disrupt the nerves and make the resulting symptoms more noticeable until it wears off.

I'm also in the PNW...not so much a beer drinker, but I do like some of the local wines. Like you I never binge drink but I've been assuming that the very occasional glass won't do any lasting harm. I intend to ask my neuro about this next time I see her (mid May) but I'm interested to hear what others think on this topic as well.
        Sx since 2007; Dx Oct. 2014. Started Copaxone after Dx...praying that it's working!

Comment

Working...
        X