Given MS S/C but at only min of 30%

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Given MS S/C but at only min of 30%

DRO called today. I was told they rated me at 30% and I the deposit for back bennies should show up early next week. Not nearly what I thought I should get, but its a start. I expect I will have to appeal the percentage. I am not shocked they low-balled me. The Detroit RO has track-record/history of doing that and high rate of denials.

Our youngest moved back home for a spell, going back school to get his degree. That also means grandson around part-time. Getting used to having a 7/8 yr old around more. We had the space and it helps with expenses.

With the little extra income I may be able to do a HARP (e-fi) & lower our mortgage payments. With the back bennies I may be able to patch up my car to get another year out of it, maybe.

Having problems typing on my computer, will try more tomorrow

Gomer Sir Falls-a-Lot

Yes, you absolutely need to appeal.

Like the original ruling, it takes time, but you should ultimately prevail. Heck, just your mobility issues should have brought you above 30%. Again, I would contact Allison Hickey with a letter.

The VA really can be infuriating at times.

Comment

I thought that even if they low-balled me it would be at least 40 or 50%.
      I had a P/T eval about 6 yrs ago and th PT determined NEEDED a power chair at last part-time because I was having problem just going across our kitchen At the end she asked me if I needed it tomorrow , I said NO" She said the cause was I was over using my gumby sticks and my walking worse I use my chair every day. Some things work backwards when you have MS. I did learn to balance my walkin and chair use.

Typing problems again tonite, its NOT me or my 'puter, its MSworld! (NO problems on an other sites

Comment

Consider using PVA Service Officer to help you with appeal or NEW claim

Hello, I'm a vet with S/C MS. Now 100% service connected with A/A. VA started me at 30% with diagnosis in 1998. After next major exacerbation landed me in VA hospital, a Veterans Service Officer from the PVA (Paralyzed Veterans of America) visited me in VA hospital and started a new claim (not an appeal) to move up my S/C to 100%, which was successful.

After yet another extremely serious exacerbation landed me in VA hospital and steriod treatments gave no improvement, I had plasmapheresis w/VA over several weeks. Lasting serious disability and eventually A/A after getting letters from Doctors (both VA and private). The PVA service officer told me the language to ask the Doctors to include (if they thought appropriate of course) to get best results.

Any vet with MS is eligible for membership in PVA (whether paralyzed or not). Their Veterans Service Officers have proven track records of success with VA claims. They get more $ than vets do on their own and more than other VSOs. It cost you NOTHING to use this amazing, wonderful service.

Best of luck with your claim and appeal. By the way, they always encouraged me to file NEW claim not an appeal for speed of processing and best chances at good result.

Comment

Gomer,
          You definitely need to appeal the 30%. I was reading some VA literature and MS gets a minimum of 30% once it's determined SC. I happen to think that's a bit of a low ball. I know for me it would be.

Best of luck to you man.
          Dx'd 4/1/11. First symptoms in 2001. Avonex 4/11, Copaxone 5/12, Tecfidera 4/13 Gilenya 4/14-10/14 Currently on no DMT's, Started Aubagio 9/21/15. Back on Avonex 10/15

It's hard to beat a person that never gives up.
          Babe Ruth

Comment

I joined PVA early on after the RRMS Dx. The PVA delayed my claim by a couple years! They were NO help. I ended up filling on my own w/o PVA. I did EVERYTHING the PVA VSO said to do, even got a buddy letter etc.

I collected info from my Navy STRs, NIH, physicians' manuals and even he VA website. So when I had my DRO hearing last fall was well prepared. The PVA rep was there but NOT helping, in fact she sort of worked against me, but like I sad I was very WELL REPARED, knew it all forwards and backward if not even sideways, with documentation back every word said.

Sorry but this typing in the new MSworld is a real PAIN!

Gomer Sir Falls-a-lot

Comment

Working...
            X