Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Copaxone Newbie...A Couple Questions

Hi all,

I'm sure these questions have been answered before and I did do a search but I'm feeling nervous and I really want to stay on Copaxone as there is no other drug I'm willing to try. Taking new drugs has always been a scary thing for me so maybe I'm overreacting but please humor me.

ive vey been taking Copaxone 3x a week since 4/10 and I hadn't had any injection site reactions aside from some immediate pain. Well last night I took my shot and a couple hours later the injection site on my stomach from last Wednesday was a little itchy. Then this morning the site on my thigh from Friday had a big bump and was very itchy. It's still itchy and painful now even though I didn't have any problems the day of or after the injection. Is it normal to get a reaction days later? And is it possibly related to my shot last night? I'm just worried this could turn into a big allergic reaction or maybe it's normal. I did call SS earlier but I'm still worried.

Also, just in general, does it get easier eventually? I'm not scared of needles but I get all worked up when I have to take my shot, scared of the IPIR and if the medication will cause me other weird side effects. I think adjusting to the diagnosis was easier than adjusting to the idea of taking meds...or maybe it's just all overwhelming right now.

Any comments are appreciated. Thanks!

Hi,
    While I think it's a good idea to contact either Shared Solutions or your doctor/nurse about the reactions, I can maybe offer a bit of reassurance that the same thing happened to me when I first started Copaxone. (i.e. old shot sites that were fine would get itchy/red when I did a new one.) I also read of others, who mentioned that sometimes after doing a shot, the other previous sites would "light up" or whatever afterwards. I think for many the site reactions calm down after a bit. Personally, I started getting reactions a month or so in, and then they gradually decreased over the next couple of months, to almost nothing. Also, all of this (doing the shots and dealing with/anticipating reactions) definitely got better for me over time. Hopefully you will have a similar experience!
    dx RRMS Feb 2011; Copaxone Mar 2011-July 2012; pregnancy; Tecfidera Apr 2013-Dec 2013; Copaxone Jan 2014-current

Comment

It's not unusual, I don't think, for any of the injectible ABCR meds to cause itching. I wouldn't worry about it. To relieve the itch, you may wish to try Arnica gel. Often available at health food stores, or at amazon.com.
      ~ Faith
      MSWorld Volunteer -- Moderator since JUN2012
      (now a Mimibug)

Symptoms began in JAN02
      - Dx with RRMS in OCT03, following 21 months of limbo, ruling out lots of other dx, and some "probable stroke" and "probable CNS" dx for awhile.
      - In 2008, I was back in limbo briefly, then re-dx w/ MS: JUL08

- Betaseron NOV03-AUG08; Copaxone20 SEPT08-APR15; Copaxone40 APR15-present
      - Began receiving SSDI / LTD NOV08. Not employed. I volunteer in my church and community.

Comment

Yes it happens to me

I will get a site reaction right after my shot that will last for about 2 hours. It is red and raised, not so much itchy. Then about 24 hours later I get an even larger red area. It stays red for a few days so I can't really say anything about areas becoming red with a new shot in another area.
        MS is not a crisis in my life. It is just a chapter within my life.

Comment

When I first started on Copaxone 40 4 months ago, I would get rid itchy areas, along with what you are describing of having the previous site getting irritated after an injection into the next site.

For me this issue had pretty much gone away after about 3 months of injections. Now the worst that I get is a small bump at injection site that itches for about 2 hours then goes completely away.

I had some pretty bad pre shot anxiety for about the first month, now that I'm 4 months in, it takes me all of 3 minutes to give my self an injection and go on about my evening. I too was worried about the IPIR but after talking to my nurse (Who's been on copaxone for over 10 years) she has only ever had 2 IPIRs that kinda put my mind at ease. It's always there in the back of my mind to watch out for, but it's nothing that I think too much or worry about anymore.

Comment

I, too, get itchy injection sites. I have been on Copaxone 40 for almost a year and certain sites itch and some don't. Sometimes nothing itches! I was really scared to get on any medication so I went 36 years on nothing. I have to say that I'm really happy my Neuro put me on it. My last MRI showed "no significant changes" and that's what I was hoping to hear. I'm also (very slowly) getting some feeling back in my hands and feet. So hang in there! This is a great medication for many people. I hope that it will be so for you. I know that it's hard but try to relax. The Shared Solutions nurse said that was important to remember. I hope you have much success with this med! Keep us posted.

Comment

I have a hand help sprayer in my shower, when the site is itchy I spray water directly on the site and it feels so much better. I also use a exfoliating bar soap that feels so good. Good luck.

Comment

Working...
              X