Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

JUST WONDERING REGARDING URINARY INCONTINENCE....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

JUST WONDERING REGARDING URINARY INCONTINENCE....

Does anyone do self catherization or has one tried it ?

I started self catherization in December of last year.

I was really freaked out when my Urologist said I needed to do it.

It wasn't painful at all, like I thought it would be, just a weird feeling.

I felt sore down there after doing it at first, but after about 1 week, my body got used to it and it became no big deal.

I'm using SpeediCath self-lubricated catheters now, which are a lot easier than the ones I started with which I had to lubricate myself.

Comment

Yes, after being very reluctant to do so...

Hello
      I see you are wondering about self-cathing. I rarely post on here but I saw your question and thought I should answer since no one else has. When I first saw a urologist (a decade ago?) he did the in-office ultrasound of the bladder and told me that I wasn't emptying completely and that he recommended a self catheterizing schedule. Fighting back tears (at the time I was also in denial about my MS) I told him that I really didn't want to do that. He prescribed a med (can't remember which one) that I used for quite a few years. Honestly, I don't think it helped that much. Reluctantly, I decided to try self -catheterizing. It was very difficult at first but then it got much easier.

Now years later I am so glad that I self cath because I have been receiving Botox injections for the bladder and one of the possible side effects is that you might have to self- cath. For me the Botox injections have been a miracle "cure" for my bladder issues. Catheterizing has become "no big deal" and I feel that a symptom which had been highly stressful for me has been taken care of.

Hope this helps!

Jil

Comment

Originally posted by randys438 View Post
        I started self catherization in December of last year.

I was really freaked out when my Urologist said I needed to do it.

It wasn't painful at all, like I thought it would be, just a weird feeling.

I felt sore down there after doing it at first, but after about 1 week, my body got used to it and it became no big deal.

I'm using SpeediCath self-lubricated catheters now, which are a lot easier than the ones I started with which I had to lubricate myself.
        I currently use a Foley and am wanting to go to a suprapubic because of multiple infections. My new urologist is 100g against long-term Cathing & wants me to try Botox & self cathing but the nurses struggle to put the Foley in because my urethra is very low. It takes the nurse AND the help of my husband to get it in! How am I going to get it in by myself w/ only 1 hand that barely functions & it's my left hand and I'm right handed! Any words of wisdom?

Comment

Originally posted by IAmStrength View Post
          I currently use a Foley and am wanting to go to a suprapubic because of multiple infections. My new urologist is 100g against long-term Cathing & wants me to try Botox & self cathing but the nurses struggle to put the Foley in because my urethra is very low. It takes the nurse AND the help of my husband to get it in! How am I going to get it in by myself w/ only 1 hand that barely functions & it's my left hand and I'm right handed! Any words of wisdom?
          Hi,
          I self cath 4 x a day wit pre lubricated disposable catheters. I had a foley catheter on for 5 months because I had some problems. I just had the foley removed last Tuesday. I am back to self cathing again. Much more freedom then having to wear a foley. I am not an expert at cathing yet. I am sure there is someone on this site that can give you some really good advice.

All the best
          Blue Sati

Comment

Self-cathing

Originally posted by jiljb View Post
            Hello
            I see you are wondering about self-cathing. I rarely post on here but I saw your question and thought I should answer since no one else has. When I first saw a urologist (a decade ago?) he did the in-office ultrasound of the bladder and told me that I wasn't emptying completely and that he recommended a self catheterizing schedule. Fighting back tears (at the time I was also in denial about my MS) I told him that I really didn't want to do that. He prescribed a med (can't remember which one) that I used for quite a few years. Honestly, I don't think it helped that much. Reluctantly, I decided to try self -catheterizing. It was very difficult at first but then it got much easier.

Now years later I am so glad that I self cath because I have been receiving Botox injections for the bladder and one of the possible side effects is that you might have to self- cath. For me the Botox injections have been a miracle "cure" for my bladder issues. Catheterizing has become "no big deal" and I feel that a symptom which had been highly stressful for me has been taken care of.

Hope this helps!

Jil

Yesterday my home health nurse came out to change my Foley and I told her what this urologist said and she was shocked! She's in fact said that she will write a note to him explaining that my uretha is almost going up and down parallel to the seat of my chair so it would be physically next to impossible for me to be able to self Cath. They have to put a pillow underneath me and have my husband assist just do a Foley. Thank goodness so I just got the call this morning and next Wednesday I'll be going in to have the suprapubic put in. Every nurse that has changed my catheter has 100% agreed with the difficulty they have with changing my Foley. We say this a lot but this time I have to go with my gut and my gut tells me that the suprapubic is the correct direction for now!

Comment

Working...
            X