Increased sexual desire after diagnosis

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My husband is newly diagnosed and has now is always wanting sex and thinks about it all the time. Problem - he's now cheating and I thinks it depression, but I've read this can be the blame of MS as well? He won't get help even!!

Although it is not common, MS can affect mental health in varying ways. Yes; depression is one of the more common symptoms of MS. But, an MS flare can also trigger mania, which could account for both the increased sexual desire and the cheating (if cheating is out of character for him otherwise).

I'm not sure if MS, when not in a flare could also trigger that. Possibly, I guess, if it becomes a residual symptom. If you or his doctor (if you would be able to talk with his doc) think it might be a flare, perhaps a course of steroids might get rid of the problem in 2-4 weeks.

idk though; MS seems like it is always a guessing game.
    ~ Faith
    MSWorld Volunteer -- Moderator since JUN2012
    (now a Mimibug)

Symptoms began in JAN02
    - Dx with RRMS in OCT03, following 21 months of limbo, ruling out lots of other dx, and some "probable stroke" and "probable CNS" dx for awhile.
    - In 2008, I was back in limbo briefly, then re-dx w/ MS: JUL08

- Betaseron NOV03-AUG08; Copaxone20 SEPT08-APR15; Copaxone40 APR15-present
    - Began receiving SSDI / LTD NOV08. Not employed. I volunteer in my church and community.

Comment

Most of my early MS sx were cognitive versus mobility. I experienced episodes of mania during the worst of it, including an insatiable sex drive. Thankfully things resolved before any long term problems developed, and I was single.

This can't be easy for you, but very perceptive that you would consider the possibility of MS, either due to depression or as mamabug suggested, mania type of episode. Any other inappropriate, out of character behavior that you're aware of?

I'm really not sure what to recommend, unless you are designated to discuss your husband's medical info with medical care providers.

Take good care of yourself.

Comment

Originally posted by PUNKIN2015 View Post
        My husband is newly diagnosed and has now is always wanting sex and thinks about it all the time. Problem - he's now cheating and I thinks it depression, but I've read this can be the blame of MS as well? He won't get help even!!
        This is just a wild guess. Really wild.

Back when I was young and frisky, and did a lot of drinking, I found that when I had a really severe hangover and was really sick, I would really get "horny". Weird, eh?

My friend and roomate at the time said it was because my body thought it was going to die from being poisoned and that it "thought it had to reproduce" before it died.

As silly as that sounded, it actually makes sense, sort of. Like I said, just a wild guess. Maybe he's thinking his life is going to be over and his body is reacting by trying to sew a few oats before it's all over.
        Good luck, too. Tell him to stop that cheating business, too.
        Jim S.

Comment

punkin2015-

Why won't your husband get help? I'm not sure where people are supposed to go to get help. I'm the one with MS that has the increased sexual desire and am very tempted to cheat to get the more sex that I desire.

Comment

Working...
          X