Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ampyra

Does any one use Ampyra? I have been on compounded 4-ap and the
    pharmacy is now telling me they can't make them, they don't have what they need. Doctor said the compounded drug was cheaper but it is not covered by insurance.

Is Ampyra covered by your insurance? What's your co-pay?

Toot
    toot

DX 1986 currently on TY
    Copaxone 2003 to February 2015

Copay assistance?

I'm wanting to try Ampyra and have been approved by my insurance. My co-pay is $70 which is still expensive. You can ask for co-pay assistance -- call phone number on-line. I haven't done that yet. Let me know how it works for you. good luck - Sue

Comment

I was responding to you and my computer crashed. To answer your questions .. Yes my insurance paid for Ampyra but I don't take it any more. My co-pay was either $20 or $30. Why don't you look for another compounding pharmacy? Good luck

Comment

I have Blue Cross Blue Shield and it is supposed to be covered. I applied for and received two months free from the drug company. Two months is approximately the amount of time it took for my insurance company and the pharmacy to finish the paperwork for me to start the Avonex. My co-pay for the Avonex is $32. I am guessing the Ampyra would be the same amount for the co-pay.
        It's only took one week for the free samples to come. Go to https://ampyra.com/prescription/free-trial

Comment

I've been on Ampyra for almost 5 years, and mine is covered by insurance. Acorda, the company that makes the drug, says they'll guarantee you'll never pay more than a $40 co-pay. A couple years ago, I switched 3rd party providers, and the co-pay went from $40 to $200. I contacted the company, and they cover the other $160. They're still making money, as this drug costs my insurance company close to $1800 a month. I know some people do get the drug for free, but I can afford the $40. It is a specialty pharmacy drug in the highest tier.

Oh, yeah, you also have to do a 25 ft walking test at your neurologists in order to renew your prescription. That used to be every year, but they bumped it up to every six months for me, due to the cost of the drug. I think you need to be in the range of 8-25 seconds (don't quote me on the 2nd number) with a 20% improvement each time. However, I'm at 8 seconds already, and they did renew me.

Has it helped? I do notice when I miss a dose, so I'll continue with the drug. However, I'm still progressing, but I'm also still walking. I do feel there are side benefits that can't be quantifiably measured, so they don't count.

Hope this helps.

Comment

Ampyra has copay assistance for anything over $40 per 30-day supply, see Ampyra,com/cost-patient-assistance

Plus they will work with your insurance to get you covered

I don’t know the details but my insurance covered it within a month after it got FDA approval in Dec of 2010.
            Give life meaning, live life by the 9 Noble Virtues.

Comment

Ampyra

My doctor's nurse just called. She is sending a new prescription to another company that does compounding and will also mail them to me.

I may look into my insurance for Ampyra but she said it may be very expensive.

toot
              toot

DX 1986 currently on TY

Comment

What insurance are you covered by? I had Anthem and they covered the medication but I had a $40 copay. I did receive copay assistance through Accorda. I now have Medicare and the Medicare D plan that I have through UHC/AARP covers it as well. The copay is extremely high but I found a grant program through Accorda that took care of my copay. I also just received notice from Medicare about some "Extra Help" program that they automatically enrolled me in and my Ampyra copay is now $6.60. It took a lot of phone calls before I got it all straightened out, but it all worked out in the end.

Comment

Originally posted by toot2818 View Post
                  My doctor's nurse just called. She is sending a new prescription to another company that does compounding and will also mail them to me.

I may look into my insurance for Ampyra but she said it may be very expensive.

toot
                  Wow, the pharmacy called me yesterday afternoon. All set, will get 90 day for $30. And they will mail them

Not covered by insurance.
                  toot

DX 1986 currently on TY

Comment

Thanks for the info gwynff! I'm less than two years away from Medicare and wondered about my options. Printed and filed for future reference!

Comment

Originally posted by toot2818 View Post
                      Wow, the pharmacy called me yesterday afternoon. All set, will get 90 day for $30. And they will mail them

Not covered by insurance.
                      WOW that is great news Toot

FYI: Some people start off Ampyra once a day to let their body adjust.

And when taking it every 12 hours, if you’re late taking it just skip that dose.
                      Defiantly no harm in missing a dose, but taking it too often can have side-effects.
                      I have been on it for five years and have missed many of doses, and the long you taking it the less you feel a missed dose.

You will like it being time release version of compounded 4-ap, for one reason you don’t need to take it as often.
                      Give life meaning, live life by the 9 Noble Virtues.

Comment

I'm on medicare and was just notified they will no longer cover Ampyra.
                        I was only able to take it three months before they put it on their chopping block.
                        Don't think it was working anyway.

Comment

Working...
                        X