Copaxone - Autoject or Manual?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Copaxone - Autoject or Manual?

I am currently awaiting my prescription approval for Copaxone (hoping for the 3x per week). I got my Autoject already, but it seems from my obsessive amount of reading that there are more problems with the Autoject than with the manual. Do any of you have thoughts or experiences you could share on this? Thank you
    Diagnosed RRMS 4/7/15, symptoms for 8 months prior. Copaxone 4/27/15

I've been on Copaxone for over 7 years and prefer manual. I passed out cold using the auto-injector at the beginning and have been manual ever since. I feel like I have more control over the speed of the med going in. Also, I have never injected the left hip since passing out.

We can't get the 3x per week in Canada so I'm stuck with everyday. I will never try the auto-injector again, even if the 40mg is approved here.

Good luck with whatever method you choose!
    Jen
    RRMS 2005, Copaxone since 2007
    "I hope to be the person my dog thinks I am."

Comment

USing the Auto-ject

for ten years (with some time off due to financial/insurance difficulties a few years back) and have had no problems with the auto-ject. You just have to make sure you're using the correct depth setting.

Comment

autoject for me

I know lots of people on here seem to prefer manual. Personally I have been happy with the autoject, and have been using it for a few years. I have done a few shots manually just out of curiosity, but I am more comfortable using the autoject bc I feel like I don't need to pay as much attention to the needle part, so it's easier and quicker for me. The only trick is as its2much says, making sure the depth setting is accurate for the different shot locations.
        dx RRMS Feb 2011; Copaxone Mar 2011-July 2012; pregnancy; Tecfidera Apr 2013-Dec 2013; Copaxone Jan 2014-current

Comment

I use the autoject for my arms & hips and go manual for my stomach & thighs. I slightly prefer manual, but that's mainly because it takes a little less time...
          1st sx 11/26/09; Copaxone from 12/1/11 to 7/13/18
          NOT ALL SX ARE MS!

Comment

I've done manual, and, yes, it takes slightly less time. However, I'm a bit of a needle-weenie, even after 11+ years of self-injecting. So, I prefer auto-inject. And, for me, the depth setting makes it easier to get the depth right, rather than the manual.

Boymom, you may just need to try both and decide for yourself. As you can see, we have varying opinions.
            ~ Faith
            MSWorld Volunteer -- Moderator since JUN2012
            (now a Mimibug)

Symptoms began in JAN02
            - Dx with RRMS in OCT03, following 21 months of limbo, ruling out lots of other dx, and some "probable stroke" and "probable CNS" dx for awhile.
            - In 2008, I was back in limbo briefly, then re-dx w/ MS: JUL08

- Betaseron NOV03-AUG08; Copaxone20 SEPT08-APR15; Copaxone40 APR15-present
            - Began receiving SSDI / LTD NOV08. Not employed. I volunteer in my church and community.

Comment

Thank you!

Thank you all for your opinions I am going to learn both and then figure it out from there. I am just such a weenie about pain (not needle injections - that doesn't bother me) but dealing with a huge welt or lump or something scares me. For those that use Autoject - what depth setting do you use? I have heard six is probably the best but just curious. Also one other thing - how do I separate into paragraphs? I can't figure it out lol
              Diagnosed RRMS 4/7/15, symptoms for 8 months prior. Copaxone 4/27/15

Comment

Contact Shared Solutions

Once you get your script call Shared Solutions. They will schedule a nurse come to you and show you how it works and walk you through your first injection. The nurse will also help you with the depths of the injections at the different injection areas. The nurse will bring some supplies and answer any questions you may have.

After that, if you need any kind of support just call Shared Solutions. They have nurses on duty around the clock and can help you with just about anything you need. I find them extremely responsive and they provide, by far, the best customer service I have ever receive.

Shared Solutions is somehow tied in with Teva Pharmaceuticals which developed Copaxone. Their phone number is (800) 887-8100. If you go to the www.copaxone.com website you will find links to Shared Solutions and a number of programs that they offer. There is no charge for any of their services. Their goal is to make sure that your Copaxone experience is the best that it can be.

As for me, I use the injector. I am not a fan of needles and when I heard that I was going to be doing daily injections I was not thrilled. My experience is a very slight pinch (if that), an occasional trace of blood, some burning/stinging that goes away within a half hour, and a small bump that disappears. There are Copaxone users who have issues with more site and other reactions but I seem to tolerate it well, at least for now. I have been on daily injections for nearly two months and will be switching to 3 times per week this coming Sunday. I don't think I could ever bring myself to do it manually. I won't ever know for sure unless the need arises.

Good Luck

Comment

yes; Shared Solutions will send out a nurse to train you in injections. I inject only in my abdomen, due to bad pain at other sites that lasts days and requires OTC pain meds round the clock. Shared Solutions cannot approve that, but a doc can. Most ppl don't need to go that route, but, that is one reason that I like the 3x per week, so I don't need to use so many sites.

And, yes. It's a good idea to learn both methods and decide what you wish to do. There are pros and cons to both.

A tip for welts that I received from someone here, once. I use it all the time: If there is a lump at my injection site, following the injection, I just push hard on the lump for about 30 seconds with my thumb. Doesn't hurt, and, helps the lump go away. I've only heard that suggestion for Copaxone, specifically. Not the other injectible DMD's.
                  ~ Faith
                  MSWorld Volunteer -- Moderator since JUN2012
                  (now a Mimibug)

Symptoms began in JAN02
                  - Dx with RRMS in OCT03, following 21 months of limbo, ruling out lots of other dx, and some "probable stroke" and "probable CNS" dx for awhile.
                  - In 2008, I was back in limbo briefly, then re-dx w/ MS: JUL08

- Betaseron NOV03-AUG08; Copaxone20 SEPT08-APR15; Copaxone40 APR15-present
                  - Began receiving SSDI / LTD NOV08. Not employed. I volunteer in my church and community.

Comment

I've been on Copaxone 40 since my DX in January. I've been using the autoject exclusively for that time. At first I was adjusting the depth for each area ranging form a 6 to an 8.

After some experimentation I decided to just set it at a 7 for all areas and that seems to work well for me. From what I've found if I go too shallow I get more itchiness and if you go too deep and hit muscle, well that hurts like the dickens for a few hours. Thankfully I've only done that once and I think it was because I was a bit too close to my elbow.

But each person is different so experiment around and use the technique that works best for you.

Comment

Originally posted by rhavin42 View Post
                      ... and if you go too deep and hit muscle, well that hurts like the dickens for a few hours.
                      Isn't that the truth!!

Comment

Working...
                      X