One down!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

One down!

Just took the first Rebif at about 8pm. The nurse was very nice and let my husband and I practice inject saline into a sponge. Glad we spoke at length because she's the one that let me know that the doc never did a baseline liver test. I thought he had, but I showed her my chart and it turns out he didn't. I mean SERIOUSLY with these doctors. Ugh. I digress...

The shot was fine. 8.8 this time. Didn't pre medicate with Aleve or Advil. Slight burn but barely noticeable. Can't even tell where I did it if you look at my thigh. Only side effect so far is slightly blurry vision. Felt well enough to do yoga afterwards... From what I understand I won't really feel it until the 44. Will let ya'll know! Thanks for all the support!!!
    "It matters not how strait the gate,
    How charged with punishments the scroll,
    I am the master of my fate,
    I am the captain of my soul." ˜William Ernest Henley

glad you started. if you start to feel a headache or body aches, go ahead and take the anti-inflammatory (advil or your choice) so that the pain doesn't get out of control. hope all continues to go well.

Comment

Holy Headache...

Originally posted by waysiek View Post
      glad you started. if you start to feel a headache or body aches, go ahead and take the anti-inflammatory (advil or your choice) so that the pain doesn't get out of control. hope all continues to go well.
      It's like you're psychic, Waysiek!

I should've known the headache was coming from the blurred vision. Wow. Gonna take something in a sec...just trying not to get in the habit of medicating because of the medication, you know? Is it short term? Like, do you still take meds before/after the shot or has your body adjusted?

Comment

I still takee 500 mg.s of Naproxen. I had the chills and headaches so bad in the beginning.

Diagnosed 6-28-14
        RRMS
        Alone we can do so little; together we can do so much. ~Helen Keller~

Comment

DPL,
          I had to stop the Rebif last year after 12 years of success on the medication because of the fibrous knots that developed on my legs. Prior to Rebif I had been on Avonex for 5 years and Betaseron for 1 year prior to that. So after 18 years of shots, my skin had just had enough.

Despite all those years on shots, I still developed headaches after the injection if I didn't pretreat with 2 extra strength Tylenol. I just maintained the habit of taking two at the time of injection and two more 4 to 5 hours later when the headache started to come back.

Many people are able to discontinue the pain medications after a period of time. It just didn't work that way for me. My MS doctor convinced me to look at the headaches as a sign that the medicine was working. Since the Tylenol took care of it and was an easy fix, it just became part of my routine.

Since you are brand new to this, you will figure out what works for you after you get adjusted to it. But I found out that it was better to take the Tylenol beforehand to prevent the mega headache that came on if I waited too late to take it.

Comment

Thanks, Guys!

You said that previously Waysiek...ugh my brain. I swear I have 0 short term memory anymore. I walk into rooms and forget why. I pull up Google and forget what I needed to search for. Think of things one moment and they fly away the next....

Are you worried about the liver side effects with taking the Tylenol/Naproxen with the Rebif? I'm worried enough about it that I completely stopped drinking a month ago (and I barely drink in the first place). Either way, that headache every other day is unacceptable so...

Comment

DPL, I understand the liver concerns. I am always cautious to never take more than 2 grams of Tylenol per 24 hour period and I have never been a drinker. If you can take Advil, Aleve or Motrin, then there isn't as large of a worry about the liver, but you have to be concerned about the stomach, so take them with food. Since I am allergic to all three of those, Tylenol was my only choice.

Your body may adjust so that you don't need the pain relievers after a while.

Comment

moving up tomorrow night!

Originally posted by waysiek View Post
                DPL, I understand the liver concerns. I am always cautious to never take more than 2 grams of Tylenol per 24 hour period and I have never been a drinker. If you can take Advil, Aleve or Motrin, then there isn't as large of a worry about the liver, but you have to be concerned about the stomach, so take them with food. Since I am allergic to all three of those, Tylenol was my only choice.

Your body may adjust so that you don't need the pain relievers after a while.
                I appreciate the tips! I started switching off with Tylenol and Advil. I take one Tylenol 1/2 hour before each shot one week and one Advil 1/2 hour before each shot the next week. It's working out great thus far!

i move up to the 22 shot tomorrow night. VERY NERVOUS but also ready to start the big guns and really fight this thing. Going to try using just one Advil but we'll see... Wish me luck!

Comment

Hm.

Originally posted by DPL2014 View Post
                  I appreciate the tips! I started switching off with Tylenol and Advil. I take one Tylenol 1/2 hour before each shot one week and one Advil 1/2 hour before each shot the next week. It's working out great thus far!

i move up to the 22 shot tomorrow night. VERY NERVOUS but also ready to start the big guns and really fight this thing. Going to try using just one Advil but we'll see... Wish me luck!
                  I had no symptoms besides optic neuritis in December 2014. That's how I found out I had MS.

After my first shot titrating up from 8.8 to 22 last night that has all changed. My legs feel like there are 20 lb weights attached to each leg. I can't bend over and touch my toes anymore (overnight!). I feel hopeless and emotionally weighed down. This drug is something else. I'm going to stay with it for a few months and see how things go...work out, do yoga. Not a fan of taking medicine for the medicine so trying everything in my power to keep from taking anti depressants to help me take the Rebif. Ugh.

I will be positive. I am the master of my own destiny. The medicine is helping. :-/

Comment

Just Went off!

Sounds like your'e doing pretty good. I'm happy for you. I'm off as of today. The depression got so bad. I'm dealing with other health issue also. I have to start thinking about another DMT. Best of luck to you with your journey and Rebif. They are looking at Aubagio or Tecfedira for other options. I haven't even been on meds for a year yet. I guess this is par for the course. Keep us updated.

My best....
                    Diamond

Diagnosed 6-28-14
                    RRMS

Comment

Originally posted by Diamond57 View Post
                      Sounds like your'e doing pretty good. I'm happy for you. I'm off as of today. The depression got so bad. I'm dealing with other health issue also. I have to start thinking about another DMT. Best of luck to you with your journey and Rebif. They are looking at Aubagio or Tecfedira for other options. I haven't even been on meds for a year yet. I guess this is par for the course. Keep us updated.

My best....
                      Diamond
                      Hang in there, Diamond. I get it. I was sooooo down in the dumps after that first 22 shot. Last night I decided not to pre medicate and ended up with the mother of all migraines this morning. Had to take an Advil.

I was thinking Copaxone next if Rebif doesn't work but I went to a Biogen dinner on Wednesday and tecfidera does look good... I guess their sales pitch worked on me. 😏

keep us posted on what you end up choosing next! The doctor at the dinner seemed to think a drug to rebuild myelin will be on the market in the next 18 months. I have a feeling the end is in sight!

Comment

Wondering how you're doing DPL2014????? I hope well. Thinking about you.

Diamond

Diagnosed 6-28-14
                        RRMS

Comment

Helloooooooo

Originally posted by Diamond57 View Post
                          Wondering how you're doing DPL2014????? I hope well. Thinking about you.

Diamond
                          Awwwww hey girlfriend! Thanks for checking in on me. So thoughtful. I'm doing really well! The 22 shot has been good so far. Just got my liver function and blood count results back and all looks good...and I go to the 44 tomorrow night. Frankly, I'm terrified. Heh. A nurse is coming for a follow up at my house on Friday and I'll probably show her my two pretty Rebif bruises. They aren't there right after the shot....they appear weeks after. Good times. 😕

So what's cookin? How have you been? Have you decided if you're going to another dmd yet? Last we spoke you mentioned Tecfidera.

Comment

DPL2014

Hi you! I still havent' decided if I am going back on one or take a 6 month break from one. The one thing I own in this world is my body, If I find myself falling down frequently ly of course I will consider another one. I want to read mor up on them and find out more about rituxin and aubagio. So there's where I stand at this point. My appointment is June 8th. Will keep you informed.

Thanks for asking.
                            Diamond

Diagnosed 6-28-14
                            RRMS

Comment

Hi neighbor! I sure do know about the interferon's. I lasted about a year and a half and then I just felt the quality of life was more important. I will be starting Tysabri soon if the copay help goes through. See my post under meds and Tysabri. You can call me if you want to but no pressure.
                              PEACE
                              Tortis

Comment

Working...
                              X