Question about Copaxone and flare rate

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Question about Copaxone and flare rate

Since starting Copaxone in 2003 I've had two flares. One in 2012 after giving birth (Optic neuritis for 2 weeks, no steroids) and one in 2014 (weakness on left side for 2 weeks, cleared completely, no steroids). Before starting Copaxone I had only one flare in 2001 (numbness in legs). So in the last 14 or so years of having MS I've had about 3 flares. Since I had two flares in a short time span, 2012 and 2014, does this mean the Copaxone no longer works? I'd like to say when I had both flares (in 2012/2014) I was not taking Copaxone daily. I was taking it 3 times a week (20 mg). I slacked off. It was my fault.

Since then I've taken it every day without fail but I am starting to get lhermittes sign again as well as some burning in my legs so I am afraid another flare is on it's way. I am not currently in a flare. I've had lhermittes on and off since 2003 but my last flare I had it badly. I've been taking 2,600 IU Vit D daily as I heard that helps....

Any input would be appreciated. Even though I've had MS for so long it still confuses me. I have 2 small children and just want to try to be as healthy as I can for them.

Hi Andria,

I think your neuro's opinion would be useful here (as I'm sure you know). Also, if it were me, I'd want to consider if my MRIs have gotten worse or stayed stable throughout the flares?
    Anyway, I thought I'd reply since I have (sort of) been in the same boat.
    I was on Copaxone for 2 years before I got pregnant (no flares). Then after giving birth, switched to Tec, thinking since it was newly approved and an oral drug, why not? I actually hated it, and switched back to Copaxone after 6 months - about 18 months ago. I had an MRI 8 months in to the Copaxone, and it showed new lesions. I had a relapse (not too bad) a few months after that. To be honest, I was not 100% compliant either - would skip nights sometimes, it's hard to remember with being a new mom, etc.
    After the not-great MRI and the relapse, my neuro basically gave me a choice - said either stick with the Copaxone for awhile longer and get another MRI and see how I feel, or I could switch right away to something else. I said I'd wait, and stuck with the Copaxone another few months before my most recent MRI. All is good on that one (no changes), and clinically I feel fine. So I think I will stay with it.

I think considering your first flare in 2012 was post-partum, which is not unusual, I wouldn't put that down to Copaxone not working. But there are also so many other drug options to consider....
    Guess I am not much help, but wanted to give my experience! Best of luck, hope others chime in as well.

Alice
    dx RRMS Feb 2011; Copaxone Mar 2011-July 2012; pregnancy; Tecfidera Apr 2013-Dec 2013; Copaxone Jan 2014-current

Comment

Working...
    X