X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Why yeast infections?

Ok....

Totally new to this.

But, WHY are yeast infections common among women with MS?

Is it again that the body is fighting off what is good/normal in the body?

I am not currently on any MS medicine. I just finished a bout of steroids for optic neuritis and will likely be on MS med in the future.

But I just don't get it.....why does MS make you prone to getting a yeast infection?

I had one come on within the course of an hour. I mean I could just feel it begin. I have never really just "noticed" the start of a yeast infection like "boom!"
    RRMS Dx: 3/23/15
    (Optic Neuritis Dx 2/27/15; Feb/2014 right leg numbness--at the time diagnosed as Sciatica, but probably first episode)
    Started Tysabri 5/22/15: (Infusions: 5/22/15, 6/18/15, 7/16/15)

I cannot say with any definitive answer as to why they are more common in women other than the fact that MS is more common in women. I know that when I was self cathing I would get them fairly commonly and my urologist told me that it was because my bladder did not empty completely ( which turned out to be true).
    hunterd/HuntOP/Dave
    volunteer
    MS World
    hunterd@msworld.org
    PPMS DX 2001

"ADAPT AND OVERCOME" - MY COUSIN

Comment

I wasn't aware that yeast infections are more common with women who have MS. I hope I don't jinx myself here, but I haven't had one of those since I went off the pill more than 20 years ago.
      Portia

Comment

I've only had one yeast infection, and that was years ago, before I was ever dx'd with MS.

Originally posted by Teekybird View Post
        I just finished a bout of steroids for optic neuritis and will likely be on MS med in the future.
        This is the your answer, it's from the steroids. They are a strong immunosuppressant, which increases your risk of infections.

Hope it's gone, soon.
        Kimba

“When you change the way you look at things, the things you look at change.” ― Max Planck

Comment

I've had UTI's. In fact, I used to get them frequently, since MS. But, never a yeast infection. I'm not entirely clear on the difference, but I googled them, and, apparently they are not the same.
          ~ Faith
          MSWorld Volunteer -- Moderator since JUN2012
          (now a Mimibug)

Symptoms began in JAN02
          - Dx with RRMS in OCT03, following 21 months of limbo, ruling out lots of other dx, and some "probable stroke" and "probable CNS" dx for awhile.
          - In 2008, I was back in limbo briefly, then re-dx w/ MS: JUL08

- Betaseron NOV03-AUG08; Copaxone20 SEPT08-APR15; Copaxone40 APR15-present
          - Began receiving SSDI / LTD NOV08. Not employed. I volunteer in my church and community.

Comment

Have had two- once after the first 5 day steroid course. I think that the increase in blood sugars sets it off. You can fight back by severely limiting your sugar intake in the forms of sugars, syrups and simple carbs. IŽd even go light on fruits like grapes. There is a three day pill you can take to knock it back, but it took weeks to defeat the population. The second bout was in going gung-ho on the Whals protocol and this threw me into ketosis and changed my biochemistry to favor the blasted buggers. Once again, this took weeks to overcome- with a diet almost sans sugar. Eat lots of veggies that feed the micro biome that fights the yeast. Avoid sugars if at all possible.

Comment

I was having a similar issue and my physical medicine doctor told me I was drinking too much milk.
              She was correct! fed

Comment

Yes, I am more prone to them when I have IV steroids.

Comment

A little different...

I don't get yeast infections or UTIs but I often get bacterial vaginitis (bv). I fight it with acidophilus and folic acid.

It is the most disgusting, embarrassing thing ever and I wish it would stop.

Comment

Candida

I don't get yeast infections but I have this really gross candida skin rash, which is supposed to be the same fungus as yeast infections.

I've been on 2 rounds of anti-fungal pills. I've used anti-fungal cream all over it. It itches like crazy and HURTS. It started at the end of December when I started taking my fatigue drug Modafinil. I found out Modafinil is a pro-histamine and makes me itch more, but it didn't cause the rash initially. I took the Modafinil for about three weeks (it was awesome) but I had to stop because of the itching. It's been another 3 weeks and I'm still itchy and also tired all the time.

I don't know what to do.

Comment

Working...
                    X