Confused about fish oil/ omega-3 ideal intake

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Confused about fish oil/ omega-3 ideal intake

Those of you who have researched Fish Oil/Omega-3 intake, I really appreciate your response:
    I have been trying to investigate good fish oil/omega 3 to take, and quantity but an finding it really overwhelming.

This is what I understand:
    1. Omega 3 is really what we want to be taking for MS. (The other omega acids, like omega 6 may NOT be good).
    2. Omega 3 fish oil is actually measured in terms of the milligrams of EPA and DHA.

I have found a Fish Oil, that to me seems promising, but I want to know what other people think, or if they have done research as to what might be better:
    Nordic Naturals: Ultimate Omega, Containing 1280 mg in 2 soft gell pills.
    Breakdown is as follows: EPA: 650 mg; DHA: 450 mg; and other omega-3's: 180 mg.
    The ingredients are purified deep sea fish oil (from anchovies and sardines)
    Fish oil is processed in Norway, but is distriuted from the U.S. US patent protected.
    It says it is Non-GMO Verified and also 3rd party tested for purity.

Cost seemed a bit high. I got it at Whole Foods. It has 180 pills and cost close to $60. Since 2 pills is a "serving" it is actually a 90 day supply.

Comments really appreciated, particularly on if you think that this is a good product, also if the amount is a good amount to take daily, or other suggestions on what you would recommend instead. I do not really eat a lot of fish as it is, so I think it is a good idea to take the supplement. I am just worried about it being properly cleaned, pure and containing what will benefit my body.

Thanks!
    RRMS Dx: 3/23/15
    (Optic Neuritis Dx 2/27/15; Feb/2014 right leg numbness--at the time diagnosed as Sciatica, but probably first episode)
    Started Tysabri 5/22/15: (Infusions: 5/22/15, 6/18/15, 7/16/15)

Hello Teekybird and welcome to MSWorld.

I use the Nordic Naturals you described. I have been using this brand for many years and have no complaints. I buy mine in bulk off the internet at iherb. Usually when you buy in bulk there is a discount and depending on the amount you spend the shipping is free.

If you decide to buy vitamins/supplement off the internet be sure to buy what you need in the colder/cooler months as soft gels do not do well in heat.

I have never noticed any benefit, MS wise, with vitamins/supplements but I do feel better in a general sense vs. when I don't take them.
    Diagnosed 1984
    “Lightworkers aren’t here to avoid the darkness…they are here to transform the darkness through the illuminating power of love.” Muses from a mystic

Comment

Working...
    X