Questions about Copaxone side effects

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Questions about Copaxone side effects

Hi, I've been dx for 15 years, taken Avonex and Techfidera. Now I have been on Copaxone for about a month. I had the "big" reaction they warn you about (the heart palpitations and feeling like you can't breathe starting on the 4th injection. I have been assured it is not dangerous. (Weird as all get out and totally unpleasant) but that seems to be get less intense everytime I take the shot. I also get a low grade fever everytime with severe chills which seems to last about 45 minutes. The temp is enough to make all my limbs go numb because of increased core temp, but no one who does NOT have MS is really impressed by a temp of 99.9. Anyway, the question is have others here experienced this kind of thing, and the heart/breathing thing is getting better, so will the fever and chills get better too? Also, on the day after a shot I can't stay awake. I sleep most of the day. Is that to be expected?
    Thanks for the help
    Jenny

I fell feverish also. I took my 4th injection on Friday. I get an upset stomach and a headache. Aching in my joints. Reminds me too much of Avonex just not as bad. I hope this goes away. I want to sleep constantly. You can see my history in my signature.
    Lee Ann

Originally posted by Jenny2015 View Post
    Hi, I've been dx for 15 years, taken Avonex and Techfidera. Now I have been on Copaxone for about a month. I had the "big" reaction they warn you about (the heart palpitations and feeling like you can't breathe starting on the 4th injection. I have been assured it is not dangerous. (Weird as all get out and totally unpleasant) but that seems to be get less intense everytime I take the shot. I also get a low grade fever everytime with severe chills which seems to last about 45 minutes. The temp is enough to make all my limbs go numb because of increased core temp, but no one who does NOT have MS is really impressed by a temp of 99.9. Anyway, the question is have others here experienced this kind of thing, and the heart/breathing thing is getting better, so will the fever and chills get better too? Also, on the day after a shot I can't stay awake. I sleep most of the day. Is that to be expected?
    Thanks for the help
    Jenny
    LA dx MS feb 2008
    Avonex Feb 2008-May 2009, Betaseron July 2009-Oct 2011 -- Tysabri Nov 2012-2014 -- Tecfidera 2014-2015 (allergic reaction) --Copaxone 2015-2016 (could not tolerate the painful itching) -- Tysabri November 2016 - Trying CBD for pain control

Comment

When I first started Copaxone I would get a low grade fever. I did not really sleep all day afterwards, but I was very lethargic. I contacted my neuro and he has me taking Tylenol 30 minutes before my shot. That has seemed to solve the problem. I am not sure if I still need the Tylenol, but I don't want to risk it and I figure it will not hurt me to keep taking it. I do not want to tell you to take Tylenol as that would be improper. Check with your doctor if it would be safe for you to take.
      MS is not a crisis in my life. It is just a chapter within my life.

Comment

When I began C in 2007 my heart sped up so badly I passed out cold. My neuro suggested manual injection, laying down, with an Ativan before injecting. Haven't had any issues since! Not sure if you're on the 40 3x per week, or 20 7x, we can't get the 40 in Canada. If you're on 40, maybe switching to 20 may help. Good luck.
        Jen
        RRMS 2005, Copaxone since 2007
        "I hope to be the person my dog thinks I am."

Comment

I have been on Copaxone 40 mg since Dec 2014. I have experienced fevers and chills too. I have also experienced extreme hot flashes about 10 minutes after the injection that last last about 30-40 minutes and then I experience the chills. This only happens intermittently.

Comment

Not sure about the sleepiness, but I also had the fever and chills reaction, also starting with IIRC the 3rd or 4th shot. It wasn't the IPIR they warn you about, as that happens immediately whereas mine was always 3 hours later. It was miserable and I was ready to quit, til I saw someone on another board who had the same reaction and it subsided.

I stick it out, taking a high dose of ibuprofen or Aleve with the shot at first, which seemed to prevent the reaction. Over a few weeks I decreased the dose and now I no longer need the ibuprofen, nor do I have the bad reaction. Only the usual local welt and itching.

I hope this will help solve the fever and chills for you as well. Out of curiosity, what was your reason for switching to Copaxone from Tec? I am not sure yet how well Copaxone is working for me as I have only been on it 6 months. But if it is not effective for me then I am considering Tec as my next option.
            Sx since 2007; Dx Oct. 2014. Started Copaxone after Dx...praying that it's working!

Comment

I never had any side effects except for the shots where I would sometimes get the welt and stinging. But almost 4 years into using Copaxone I got the dreaded IPIR!

I found myself dreading every shot after that and quit. I had so much anxiety about having
              another reaction that I just couldn't do it anymore. Even more I was so angry about TEVA'S
              "we really don't know what causes the IPIR". Easier said when your not the one feeling like you
              can't breathe.

Comment

IPIR

I've been using Copaxone for nearly eight years. I still do the 20 mg, 7 days a week. I used to get the Immediate Post-Injection Reaction (IPIR) on a regular, but unpredictable basis. They got less intense and less frequent as I continued to use Copaxone and now I get an IPIR maybe once a year. I love Copaxone because once I got past the IPIRs at the start of treatment, the only things I had to deal with was the fact the injection site might be tender or itch for a while.

Comment

Working...
                X