Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

This seems to be the place for this: herpes and MS...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

This seems to be the place for this: herpes and MS...

Just wondering if any of you have genital or oral herpes with MS. Has it posed additional problems? I was reading that getting a herpes outbreak can send off crazy signals that trigger an MS flareup. Just wondering what others' experiences with this have been. I'm not sure if you can private message me if you don't feel like replying to this.

At this point, I'm kind of like, who cares about it all--in terms of conditions I have.
    RRMS Dx: 3/23/15
    (Optic Neuritis Dx 2/27/15; Feb/2014 right leg numbness--at the time diagnosed as Sciatica, but probably first episode)
    Started Tysabri 5/22/15: (Infusions: 5/22/15, 6/18/15, 7/16/15)

Hi Teeky--I have oral herpes (aka, cold sores). I would get an occasional blister on my chin as a kid, then nothing for many years. Fast-forward to 35-years-old and MS diagnosis. Now that I am on Tecfidera, if I dental work done, I get atypical outbreaks that effect the trigeminal nerves on both sides of my face.

There isnt a cold sore visible, but I get teeny-tiny, almost invisible blisters on my gums...I went to the ER raving/in severe pain 3 times before they figured out what was going on. It is excruciating! I have had both herpatic neuropathic pain AND Trigeminal neuralgia at the same time. I take Acyclovir before dental cleaning or any dental work, which stops any outbreak from happening.

I think the original viral infection contributed to a brain stem lesion I had (healed, thank science) but who knows, just wild speculation on my part. Herpes viruses hang out in our peripheral nervous system...could perhaps cause other problems.
    RRMS 2011, Copaxone 2011-2013, Tecfidera 2013-current

Comment

I've had genital herpes (it's actually type 1), for about 30 years now. Since I've been diagnosed with MS, I have not noticed any increase in problems or severity of my outbreaks. But now that I'm thinking about it, I may have to pay a bit more attention. I have occasional buzzing or vibrating in my genital area, and sometimes I have almost what I think maybe an outbreak starting. But other than that I really have not recognized anything unusual about the pattern of my outbreak.

Hope this helps.
      Melissa

Comment

Originally posted by cptmelissa View Post
        I have occasional buzzing or vibrating in my genital area, and sometimes I have almost what I think maybe an outbreak starting.
        I do not have any form of herpes but I have buzzing/vibrating in the genitals. I've noticed it when I overheat or when I am active be it sex, walking or cleaning.

I'm just saying that may just be part of your MS that has nothing to do with the herpes. 😊

Comment

Yeah no herpes here and I get the genital buzzing from time to time so probably just MS related. I would talk to your neuro about it though. I have written stuff off as ahh just MS that turns out to be something more serious before so now I talk to my neuro about EVERYTHING. I think I bug him but he is cool too so he doesn't let on.
          Rise up this mornin, Smiled with the risin sun, Three little birds Pitch by my doorstep Singin sweet songs Of melodies pure and true, Sayin, (this is my message to you-ou-ou

Comment

Working...
          X