Has anybody else started Plegirdy?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Has anybody else started Plegirdy?

Hi there!! I've been on copaxone, rebif and tecfidera. I hated doing the shots everyday or 3xweek. That's why I started the new pill form, tecfidera. Well the side effects were awful for me and I lasted on it for about 6 months. My neurologist mentioned Plegirdy to me and taking only 1 shot every 2 weeks caught my attention. His nurse is getting everything set up with them to get me started. But it would be nice to talk to someone who has started Plegirdy or going to start.

thinking about starting

Hi - I'm so freaking excited to start this, been on Beta for ten years, the injections E-O day are getting to be a pain in the butt. Since I've tolerated Beta for so long, this should be the same. I HOPE!

Made an appt. with Neuro - but that's not until the end of May - wish I could get in sooner, but if Im feeling OK then it's not considered a priority.

When I was diagnosed, so long ago, there were only 4 choices, ABCR, times have changed!

Good luck to you!
    Jody - AKA Mac1ntosh

I love an Apple...computer that is!
    DX'99 - Started Betaseron April '05 - Quit Betaseron Sept. '15
    Started Gilenya Oct. '15

Comment

That's great news for you!!! My mom was on BETA for the longest time also. Those are tough shots to be on for so long
      Have you stopped taking the BETA then?

Comment

Originally posted by SashaNicole View Post
        Hi there!! I've been on copaxone, rebif and tecfidera. I hated doing the shots everyday or 3xweek. That's why I started the new pill form, tecfidera. Well the side effects were awful for me and I lasted on it for about 6 months. My neurologist mentioned Plegirdy to me and taking only 1 shot every 2 weeks caught my attention. His nurse is getting everything set up with them to get me started. But it would be nice to talk to someone who has started Plegirdy or going to start.
        There are a few of us that have started on here. If you check out the other threads, we have been documenting our progress & experiences. If you have any specific questions though, don't hesitate to ask!
        Diagnosed: May 2012
        Medications: Avonex - stopped 12/14
        Plegridy - starting 12/14

Comment

I started plegridy about 6 weeks ago. I was on avonex for about 1 1/2 years and it wasn't to awful but seemed to go in phases with feeling like I had the flu.

I like the medicine as far as the every other week injections and I so far haven't felt any flu like symptoms from it however, I do have injection site reactions each time which aren't painful but there about 2 x 3 inches in size and last about 2 weeks or more.

Good luck with it!!!
          Tira

Comment

I was on copaxone for about 12 years, tried tecfidera, which once I got to the full dose I had non-stop vomiting. Needless to say, hanging in there to get past it was not an option when I had an empty stomach and dry heaves.

I've been on Plegridy since January 2 and each shot the side effects are becoming less and less. The main downside I have is the site reaction. It doesn't hurt or itch, it's just a large red splotch. With spring and summer coming, I really don't want these red marks the size of my palm showing. I generally wear Bermuda shorts, but my arms will show.

I have been updating my journey in the other Plegridy threads, so you can see my progress there. Good luck and I hope your experience goes well too.
            Dx'd : 10/30/2002
            Started Copaxone 12/16/2002
            Currently on Rituxan

Comment

Plegridy convert here!

I had been on Rebif for 10 years and started Plegridy in December 2014. No more flu like symptoms and I do not have to worry about pre-medicating to avoid them. I do have the nice red splotches everyone else is describing. The spot may last a few weeks, but it is not raised, does not itch and is not hot to the touch; as was the case when I was on Rebif.

Comment

New to Plegridy but not MS

Hi folks .. I have had MS for 10 years and was on Avonex for a long time .. first the needles then the injectors. We'll the injectors could only be used in the tops of your legs and my legs got so hard and sore I hit a wall using them It hurt so bad. Hence I decided to try Tecfidera and have been on that unail recently. When I changed insurance companies and needed a new Rx the Dr said he hesitated to keep me on it because a woman my age had been on the Tecfidera had passed away with the JC Virus and she had been on the Tecfidera for about four years. So the decision was made that I should try the Plegridy. So it was delivered last week and the nurse will be hereally tomorrow to teach us how to give me the shots. I had very little trouble on the regular A Avonex so with what I have been reading I can take my Benadryl and a OTC pain killer and do fine until my body adapts to the new drug.

Good luck to all of you that are newly Dx. When I was in your shoes there were very few choices...

Ms Sassy

Comment

Ex-Beta users, check other posts for this topic!

Just wanted to leave a note to Beta users to check my other posts on this topic. I've been taking Plegridy since October 2014 as part of a study about patients switching from other interferons.

I took Beta for 6 years. I joined the study mostly because my health insurance situation was changing so much (finished grad school, on contract jobs, unemployed, blah, blah, blah) that getting medication for free through a study for a year seemed way simpler than dealing with the paperwork for the Beta with every new insurer. I was also getting kind of tired of the E/O day shots, too.

Piece of information from the study, which looks at flu-like symptoms when a patient changes from any other interferon to Plegridy: seems that Beta patients experience the least symptoms, probably because the E/O day shots keep the concentration in the body pretty similar to that of the long-acting Plegridy.

Anyway, have a look at my posts in other threads. I'm enjoying the 14-day time period quite a lot. The worst problem I've had is the sudden thought that I'd forgotten my shot - with the quick realization that I don't take them every other day anymore!

Comment

Plegridy Injection site reactions

I started Plegridy in March of 2015, and I've had a hard time with injection site reactions like red blotches, swelling, hot spots & pain. It occurred to me this was similar to a histamine reaction, like if you were bitten by a bug, or in contact with poison ivy. I decided to try taking an antihistamine 2 hours prior to my injection, and it worked! No more site reactions. So if you take an antihistamine for other allergies, this might be the ticket to help with injection related reactions.

Comment

Working...
                    X