Heat intolerance issues...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Heat intolerance issues...

I have had MS almost 5 years. Last year was the 1st time I ever dealt with heat intolerance. I would feel like I was overheating. I ended up receiving free body ice packs for my wrist and a vest. Didn't use them yet though. I felt like maybe I don't need them, I will just stay inside most of the time, and I will be fine. But this year, I am now a softball coaches wife, and they will be having a ton of softball games OUTSIDE in the summer, which I will need to attend every game. I am silently freaking out on the inside. Last year I just stayed inside. This year that is not an option. My question is: How do you survive with heat intolerance with the heat?? Someone told me to take an ibuprofen 30 minutes before I go outside. We will see how that works. I am planning on bringing the ice pack vest and wrist thing. But any other suggestions?? I just don't know how to deal with this?

I'd love to hear suggestions too. I'm going to a summer camp (as an adult volunteer) for a week in August, there won't be any AC available & the last time I went I had a rough time with the heat.
    I've thought about a cooling vest, has anyone had experience with one?
    "Hope for the best and plan for the worst. That way, all your surprises will be pleasant."
    Verin Mathwin, The Wheel of Time by Robert Jordan

Comment

if anyone is looking into a cooling vest there is a program at http://www.msassociation.org/programs/cooling/ . If you follow this link it will take you directly to MSAA`s cooling vest distribution website where you can download a form to fill out and mail back in to them.it will tell you everything you need to know about this program. There is no cost for this program.
      hunterd/HuntOP/Dave
      volunteer
      MS World
      hunterd@msworld.org
      PPMS DX 2001

"ADAPT AND OVERCOME" - MY COUSIN

Comment

Getting heat stroke isn't worth it. I got overheated last summer which caused a major flare.

Too bad you can't convince your husband to switch to ice hockey. Sitting in that ice cold rink is the best.

But if you must go out there, I would bring an arsenal of cooling equipment. In addition to the cooling vest, I would bring a giant ice chest or two full of ice packs for your neck and head. I recommend ColPac. Just using the vest is not enough. Keeping your neck and head cool are so important. I would also freeze bottles of drinking water so you can keep sipping ice water to stay hydrated and, as you hold the frozen bottle if water, you can put in on your wrists. You can also suck on crushed ice.

On top of that, a giant wide brim hat is a must including an umbrella that clamps to the bleachers.

If all of this fails, there are cooling vests that run ice water through tubing to keep you cool, but they are expensive.

I wish you luck. I've been there and done that. You can also bring a potted palm tree to sit under.

Comment

Here's a previous post I made on this topic: http://www.msworld.org/forum/showthr...f%92s-Syndrome

If you still need additional information please let me know.

Comment

My son played baseball and tennis, I had to adapt or miss out completely. I have a SPF rated umbrella along with Sungrubbies hats that are very sun protective. I have a folding canvas chair with a canapy roof. It is so important to be protected from direct sun when you are heat sensitive. I used a Coolsport vest, kept a cooler with ice and rubbed icecubes on my arms, legs, neck. The most effective trick of all was to drink slushies. They are so good at cooling you from the inside out!

Comment

ooo i love getting a slurpee when i'm hot!
              MS dx's 2000
              Tysabrian

¤ fate is not just who's cooking smells good, but which way the wind blows ¤

Comment

Helpful Info

Thanks for all the information.. We had our first "warm" day here in CT recently. It was about 74 that day, I swear I couldn't sit still because it was so hot out.. So this spring and summer really will be tough. I figured I would sip on the ice cold water the whole time to cool me down, BUT for the past month, I now have spastic bladder, simple terms, drink less because I will have to urinate 15 times in about 90 minutes if I don't.. So not sure how I will survive.. I guess I will try the cooling vest, putting cold items on me, and eating ice chips. Question, someone told me to take an ibuprofen 30 minutes before I go outside in the heat. Ever heard of that before? Any success with it? Thanks for the info…

Comment

Working...
                X