X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

w/c cushion

I spend a large amount of time in the wheelchair
    I have some ability to shift my wt
    I have difficulty when I am in my van which is a full sized so it rides rough
    I could use a good cushion and have tried roho but do not like them even the 4 quadrants as it is too difficult to get into as I slide across the cushion and there is too much give. I like the one I have which is a gel cushion in the for the back coccyx area
    thanks for any help

wheelchair cushions

has anyone any experience with the thermoplastic urethane honeycomb cushions

Comment

Hi Milhous!

Could you tell me if you ordered your gel on line and exactly what is the name of it and what company. There are sooooo many. I'm using a donut pillow and hate it. I need one where I had a HUGE pressure ulcer on my bum and backside.

Wishing you comfort...
      Diamond

Diagnosed 6-28-14
      RRMS
      Alone we can do so little; together we can do so much. ~Helen Keller~

Comment

Aylio Coccyx Orthopedic Comfort Foam Seat Cushion

I purchased the cushion listed above from Amazon because I damaged my right butt bone in a fall several months ago. It's not gel, but it has a really firm foam pad, and I just shift it to the right so my damaged butt bone is over the coccyx opening. It has really helped, and the damaged area is slowly recovering. It doesn't seem to slide easily.

Comment

I personally did not care for the foam or gel, what I have now is a vicar adjuster and I like it. I had pressure sores from my gel cushion.it was a special order creation, but I feel it was well worth the extra couple weeks.
          hunterd/HuntOP/Dave
          volunteer
          MS World
          hunterd@msworld.org
          PPMS DX 2001

"ADAPT AND OVERCOME" - MY COUSIN

Comment

Huntred

Hey there!

Could you please explain a little more about it as far as comfort. I am soooooooooooooo miserable. Hate to whine.

Greatly appreciated.
            Diamond ;D

Diagnosed 6-28-14
            RRMS

Comment

Diamond Again!

Sorry.... the dimension of pressure wound is 12 across by 8 high. I've had 2 surgeries and in 6 months probably going to get the tissue flap/butt augmentation. I'm 100lbs. so there's no fat. I just cant believe the pain and funny sensations I'm having with this. I get so afraid when it's time to poo because of pain. Don't mean to get soooo personal but I guess we're all here to help and share. Has any type of therapy helped??? I can't even imagine........this pain makes it hard for me to breathe it's so intense. Diagnosed six months ago and all of a sudden it's all hitting me like a mud-sling. Sorry. I need some encouragement. I can hardly see through my own tears right now.

Love,
              Diamond

Diagnosed 6-28-14
              RRMS

Comment

Originally posted by Milhous View Post
                has anyone any experience with the thermoplastic urethane honeycomb cushions
                Hi Milhous,

I'd never heard of this type before. It sounds interesting! When I googled it, shock absorption was listed as an advantage, which might be good for you to use in your van. But, I also read they may be uncomfortable because of their firmness. Another disadvantage was how quickly this type breaks down/ deteriorates (even if not being used).

Vicair is supposedly more stable than the Roho. But because they are air cushions, you won't find much in the way of shock absorption. I also think finding a wheelchair cushion that works for you is kinda like finding a mattress you are happy with. Everyone's needs are different and what may work for me, might not work for you.

I've also used a cushion like ru4cats describes. The cutout helps, but is firm for someone who spends most of their time in a wheelchair.

I hope someone whose had experience with the honeycomb wheelchair cushion will chime in, or someone will have other recommendations for you. If you do end up trying it, please let us know how you liked it.

Good luck ,
                Kimba

“When you change the way you look at things, the things you look at change.” ― Max Planck

Comment

Hi Diamond,

Oh gosh, I'm so sorry to hear about your pressure sore (that's an awfully larged sized one, and you've had it 6 months and already had 2 surgeries?! You poor thing!) and all the pain you are in!!! It sounds absolutely dreadful.

I've had them before (but only the times I've been an inpatient at one particular hospital ... which I refuse to go to anymore), but not over a large area (my coccyx and the back of my heels). Besides how how dangerous and uncomfortable they are, they take forever to heal, as you can obviously attest to! Mine didn't go beyond stage 2, but still took a couple of months to heal.

Just so you know, wheelchair cushions fall into one of these categories: Foam only, Gel, Air, Dynamic, Hybrid, or Honeycomb. Personally, the only experience I've had is with foam only, and gel. Foam is the cheapest (and definitely not recommended for someone who spends a lot of time in a wheelchair.)

Foam cushions can be cut out to customize an opening around a pressure sore. But that's not what I would recommend at all for you. Instead, from everything I read, an air cushion with individual air cells would be best suited for you. They can also be customized for your needs. They are an investment, but would be worth it if it could help you. But, because yours is so large, I'm not sure to what degree one would help. And, you would still have limit any time you spent putting any pressure on one.

The one huntered described is filled with individual, triangular shaped air cells. There's another one, called the Vicair Vector, that I also saw had good reviews. (I think the main difference is that the Vicair Adjuster is divided into10 separate "chambers" that will house the air cells, compared to 8 in the Vicar Vector.). You just remove some on of the air cells from the inside of the cushion to customize it. The only thing I read that "might" be a deterrent was that some people mentioned they could "feel" some of the "points" of the air cells. But, they were still highly recommended.

Roho cushions are another type. They also have individual air cells. Not exactly sure how you customize them.though, think maybe you just don't inflate some of the air? This type does needs to be inflated (and reinflated) with something similar to a bicycle pump. They can also spring a leak, and need to be patched. But, plenty of people do recommend them. Anyway, this chart is supposed to help you determine which one would be best suited for your needs: http://www2.therohogroup.com/

Different vendors sell them, just Google the one you are looking for and quite a few different choices will come up. I have no idea who to suggest. (But, I did notice some had them on backorder.) Vicair is in actually in Holland, so you won't be able to order directly from the company here.

Anyways, thought I'd respond so you can start looking into them. I just wish I could offer more help.

Here's some info for you as well:
                  http://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-c...t/con-20030848

http://sci.washington.edu/info/pamph...sure_sores.asp

Best of luck. I hope you find some comfort, soon. I'll be thinking about you and keeping you in my prayers.

Hugs ,
                  Last edited by Kimba22; 03-13-2015, 01:11 AM.
                  Kimba

“When you change the way you look at things, the things you look at change.” ― Max Planck

Comment

Kimba You are so near and dear to my heart. I cannot even in one breath tell you the misery I'm in and I 'm not lying. They are talking about the tissue flap surgery at the burn center in Milwaukee.I just don't know if I'm ready for all this with being MS so new to me. The recovery is unbelievable. I have lots to think about and it's not going to be an overnight decision. The wound vac is a pain in the touche. My depression is so deep I can hardly see thru my tears writing this. I need alot of love and support right now and I'm alone. Please love and give me support because I'm not sure of my emotions. I just don't know where I'm at. Thanks for all your kindness and support. I hate it all right now and I was soooooooooooooooooooooooooo strong and positive.

Love you all.....
                    Diamond in the rough

Diagnosed 6-28-14
                    RRMS

Comment

my seat cushion (vicar) has hundreds of small snack size sandwich bags full of air. It is adjustable just by removing those little bag of air. The seat cushion itself has six compartments, to in the back to in the middle and to up front. The front and back compartments are skinnier than the middle compartments. It basically looks like to longer thinner rectangles then to fatter rectangles in the middle, then to longer skinnier again. The front and back compartments are the same size. You can also take air packets from one compartment and place them in another. And every time you move, it transforms into new pressure points so that you do not get pressure sores (skin ulcer). I love mine. IM quite a bit larger than you, so I am not sure how it works for a lighter individual, but I would not think that you would differto greatly.
                      hunterd/HuntOP/Dave
                      volunteer
                      MS World
                      hunterd@msworld.org
                      PPMS DX 2001

Comment

Thanks for all the information Huntered. The wound is stage 4.On wound vac. Just a quick question for you since you've all had MS much longer than I. I have not mad a decision about the tissue/flap butt augmentation yet because I'm so afraid during the recovery I have to lay for such a long period of time if that will affect my legs. I have a milliion questions I'm marking down for the Plastic Surgeon I'll be meeting. One stupid last question. Is it wrong to have a glass of wine every now and then. I'm on Rebif and others. Just curious or maybe I should call my Dr. Please let me know if you guys do?????

Diamond

Diagnosed 6-28-14
                        RRMS

Comment

I have also had pressure sores that I had to go to a wound clinic for. It took a long time, but they eventually disappeared, and I think that a great deal of it was that my seat cushion was what it is! My sores were only stage III and never got worse than that. My aid is also a past CNA and she knew how to care for them. If you have any thing that you would like to discuss in private, my email address is in my signature.
                          hunterd/HuntOP/Dave
                          volunteer
                          MS World
                          hunterd@msworld.org
                          PPMS DX 2001

Comment

I cant find your email Huntered. I pressed everything possible. ;(

Diagnosed 6-28-14
                            RRMS

Comment

hunterd@msworld.org
                              hunterd/HuntOP/Dave
                              volunteer
                              MS World
                              hunterd@msworld.org
                              PPMS DX 2001

Comment

Working...
                              X