New diet...feeling awful!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New diet...feeling awful!

I am on day 12 of no sugar, no gluten, no dairy and no processed foods. I am a huge carb and sugar junkie (quick energy for my ever present fatigue). This has been a huge step for me but very unpleasant too. I am having daily headaches, nausea and worse pain and fatigue. I have cut out nightshades to see if that will help and it really hasn't. I DID expect to have a tough time the first week, withdrawals and all. Is it possible to push myself into a relapse?

Hi amyrising - you've taken on a huge undertaking by elimination all these potential"trigger" foods. Good for you for eliminating processed foods especially!

I found the following:

"It is usual to feel a lot worse during the first few days of an elimination diet. You may feel grumpy, develop headaches, or flu-like symptoms. You might not feel 'full' after eating, may crave the very food you are trying to avoid, or might find that your symptoms get worse. All these are signs that you are on the right track and that food intolerance is contributing to your ill health. Once the offending foods are completely out of your system, there is likely to be a fairly spectacular recovery. It can take anything from 3 days to several weeks. If there is no change to symptoms after two weeks, you need to question whether you are reacting to the remaining foods in your diet; undetected chemical or environmental allergies; or simply that your condition is not caused by food intolerance"

The entire article is here and is quite interesting- http://www.mcs-aware.org/food-intole...mination-diets

I'm not sure if this could cause a flare or not, but I imagine in the long run, you're start to feel better and more energized! My advice to you is to make sure you're drinking plenty, plenty of water to help flush out any toxins that may have stored up in your body.

Let us know how you're doing along the way and don't give up!
    1st sx '89 Dx '99 w/RRMS - SP since 2010
    Administrator Message Boards/Moderator

Comment

Yes; I suspect that, in doing a cleansing, of sorts, your body is getting rid of the toxins and that may be what is causing you to, initially, feel worse, rather than better.
      ~ Faith
      MSWorld Volunteer -- Moderator since JUN2012
      (now a Mimibug)

Symptoms began in JAN02
      - Dx with RRMS in OCT03, following 21 months of limbo, ruling out lots of other dx, and some "probable stroke" and "probable CNS" dx for awhile.
      - In 2008, I was back in limbo briefly, then re-dx w/ MS: JUL08

- Betaseron NOV03-AUG08; Copaxone20 SEPT08-APR15; Copaxone40 APR15-present
      - Began receiving SSDI / LTD NOV08. Not employed. I volunteer in my church and community.

Comment

Thank you all for your responses! This past week has been so much better. I think I was just doing some serious detoxing.

Comment

Glad to hear that it's going better for you, Amy.
          ~ Faith
          MSWorld Volunteer -- Moderator since JUN2012
          (now a Mimibug)

Symptoms began in JAN02
          - Dx with RRMS in OCT03, following 21 months of limbo, ruling out lots of other dx, and some "probable stroke" and "probable CNS" dx for awhile.
          - In 2008, I was back in limbo briefly, then re-dx w/ MS: JUL08

- Betaseron NOV03-AUG08; Copaxone20 SEPT08-APR15; Copaxone40 APR15-present
          - Began receiving SSDI / LTD NOV08. Not employed. I volunteer in my church and community.

Comment

Working...
          X