Medical Tourism and Stem Cell Fraud - Please be careful

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Medical Tourism and Stem Cell Fraud - Please be careful

Overall, I am not a fan of medical tourism, but I understand that desperate people do desperate things. People often spend tens of thousands of dollars for an unknown treatment and their dreams can turn into a nightmare. Here's an example of the grief medical tourism can cause:
    The hope of dancing at her son’s summertime wedding led Sharon Nordstrom to pay $38,000 for a treatment she hoped would keep her multiple-sclerosis symptoms at bay.

That money paid for what she hoped would be a life-changing stem-cell procedure at a hospital in Pune, India. It was part of what she, and nearly 70 other patients from Manitoba and from as far away as Australia, believed was a clinical study helmed by a brilliant Winnipeg medical researcher with a PhD, who said the procedure could stop MS in its tracks.

Soon after her return in May, Nordstrom began to uncover troubling facts. Doug Broeska, whom patients reverently call "Dr. Doug," has no recognized medical credentials. Regenetek Research, his company based out of a spartan office on Chevrier Boulevard, boasted credentials and positive medical results that didn’t add up. Patients who were once ardent supporters were attacked as saboteurs or shills for "Big Pharma" and threatened with removal from the study after they asked questions.

A Free Press investigation has found Broeska fabricated his credentials, including his PhD, and overstated the effects of the stem-cell treatment, for which he often charged desperately ill people $45,000. Four patients spoke to the Free Press on the record, saying they got no benefit from the treatment, got none of the followup common in clinical trials — such as MRIs or physical acuity tests — and believe they are victims of fraud.

The heartbreaking story continues at this link: http://www.winnipegfreepress.com/bre...?device=mobile

Stem cell treatment

Stem cell treatment is presently being done in Miami, NYC, and CA.
    Has anyone out in MS world had this procedure, and if so, how are you faring? Would appreciate feedback asap as I am considering the procedure.

Comment

If these clinics and doctors are really, truthfully, stem cell experts, they will have had some training or something connected to Dr. R. Burt, Dr. Fedorenko or Prof. Slavin. Or others that have conducted trials and treatments of a similar kind. I wouldn't take the word of anyone that I couldn't verify, fully. I have been trying to nudge the NMSS into giving the stem cell therapy proper exposure, good or bad. I wish you good luck.

Comment

Hi DDSan

There are very few reputable studies being done with stem cells for MS in the U.S. Be wary, as the title of this thread warns, of the charlatans out there. I was transplanted under Dr. Richard Burt in Chicago. I'm part of Phase III of his clinical trial for this procedure. The procedure is called Hematopoietic Stem Cell Transplant (HSCT) and is a combination of high dose chemo followed by reinfusion of stem cells that you grow prior to the chemo. I'm almost six months out and doing well. Dr. Burt's study is specifically for MS patients with RRMS who have failed at least two DMDs and who have new or enhancing lesions. He does treat some patients who he feels are transitioning from RRMS to progressive MS but on a case by case compassionate basis. There's also a study in Seattle at the Fred Hutchinson Center. I believe patients must meet the same criteria as in Chicago. If you're serious about pursuing this and qualify, Dr. Burt's former patients have set up a Facebook page dedicated to the topic and with tons of helpful information to get you started. Thankfully, many insurance companies are now covering the bulk of the cost if a patient qualifies.

If you don't qualify at these two locations, there are several reputable places overseas (Russia under Dr. Fedorenko, Israel under Prof. Slavin, etc) that will do it and have less strict criteria for qualifying. The price, however, can be very high. A lot of people who don't have the money fundraise to pay for the cost of the treatment. There's also a Facebook group dedicated to HSCT in general where you can get more information.

Best of luck to you.

Comment

I have deleted the last post because any treatment medically that is performed outside the US usually means that should any sort of problem arise, you need to go back to where you had the procedure done to seek the remedy.
          hunterd/HuntOP/Dave
          volunteer
          MS World
          hunterd@msworld.org
          PPMS DX 2001

"ADAPT AND OVERCOME" - MY COUSIN

Comment

Working...
          X