Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What does summer count as in the disability equation?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What does summer count as in the disability equation?

I've been looking at the how-to's of my school's LTD policy, and trying to figure out when my 'end date' will need to be.

Our LTD has a "90 calendar day" waiting period; i assume that means that I have to be not working for 90 days before LTD coverage can start. My question is, as teachers, how does summer break figure in to this? If I finish the school year (iffy question at the moment, but setting that aside for now), summer break is about 75 calendar days. Do those count as part of the 90 days without working?

If they do count, then I could theoretically take just the last couple of weeks off using the sick days that I have built up, use that to lead into summer, and put in the LTD official papers when the 90 days are up in July or early August.

I know the goal is to work as long as I can, but I honest to God had an anxiety attack yesterday as I was getting ready to leave the house for school. I totally melted down at just the thought of coming in to work. I made it in today, and was even productive, but seriously, I'm just dragging myself through the days now. Plus, I know that even if I don't [I]plan[I] to be at school next year, they can't advertise the position until I am officially on medical leave. And even though it won't be MY problem, I don't want to shaft my school and my colleagues like that.

Any answers, help, or advice would be appreciated! This is all uncharted territory for me, obviously.

Mom was right: life's NOT fair. What she never told me is that "fair" is often irrelevant.
Working...
X