I've decided....what now?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I've decided....what now?

OK, since I have decided that it's time to stop teaching, now the question is when do I actually stop?

My brain has totally checked out--all I can think about is how much I DON'T want to be at school. Lesson plans? HA. Grading? Double HA.

So, do I start using my sick days, and just call it quits? Or do I finish the year while I start getting my ducks in a row? I have STD insurance, so I technically could use my sick days, then take the pay dock with STD payments, then use the summer to get the LTD in order.

I'm JUST. SO. TIRED. Physically, mentally, emotionally--all of it. I jsut want out.

And I thought it would get easier emotionally once I made the decision.

Thoughts?
    Lori
    Mom was right: life's NOT fair. What she never told me is that "fair" is often irrelevant.

Hi Lori,
    I'm sorry it has come to this for you but glad you still have some options. My thought is always to bank as much money as we possibly can so if there is any way you are able I would stay for the rest of the school year. Since I try not to leave a job with a bunch of sick days perhaps you can take them here and there over the next few months. You might also want to look into FMLA as protection for your position if necessary.
    Best of luck with whatever you decide.
    Jules
    He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.
    Anonymous

Comment

You will be required to meet certain deficit standards to qualify for STD, LTD and SSDI, each can have slightly different criteria for functional deficits, physical, cognitive or a combination.

Consult with your MS doc about your current MS sx that are causing you the greatest challenges on the job and request testing that will support the necessary criteria for disability. A neuropsychological evaluation sounds like a good place to start based on your concerns, plus your fatigue getting through the day. Your MS doc's clinical findings will also be included in evaluating if you meet the insurance standards of disability, and SSDI criteria.

Once you and your doc are in agreement about moving forward with any testing needed, discuss FMLA protected leave. Your doc is required to complete FMLA forms. FMLA provides up to 12 weeks of unpaid federally mandated job protection. With any available sick Pay and available vacation pay, could help financially if long term FLMA becomes necessary.

I agree with JulesA, keep working as long as you can, bank as much income as possible.

Comment

Working...
      X