? about ON and extremely painful & sensitive eyes when around ANY light

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

? about ON and extremely painful & sensitive eyes when around ANY light

ANY time I see any light, it's wayyyy too bright & hurts my eyes (thinking it's the left one) where I have to shield my eyes & look away. Even the light on my iPad is too bright. I've been seeing a noticeable decline in my health since mid December & it's getting worse & worse. Any time I go outside & the sun's bright I have to cup my hands over my eyes because it hurts SO badly! My question is...can photophobia be a symptom of ON? Something's going on & it's definitely not normal for me.
    Thanks!

ON is usually painful behind the eye more than sensitive to light. Usually your vision is dim or blurry to completely blacked out. Having had it several times in each eye I did not have more sensitivity in that eye, but less. However, each person's experience is different. The best thing to do is to visit an Ophthalmologist and see what they say the cause of your sensitivity is.

Hope you feel better soon!
    Lisa
    Disabled RN with MS for 14 years
    SPMS EDSS 7.5 Wheelchair (but a racing one)
    Tysabri

Comment

My ON was similar to what 22cycyclist experienced, pain with eye movement, pressure/bruising type feeling with slight pressing on eye lids, and blindness in my rt eye.

I've also experienced diplopia/double vision, and problems with bright lights because my eyes don't contract as they should in bright light. I don't think it's the Iris, but the part of the eye that regulates bright/low light and vision.

Comment

Correction

The Pupil regulates light entering? the eye. In MS the pupil does not dilate or contract properly, which is the mechanism that controls correct vision and light entering the eye.

Hope this helps and my explanation makes sense.

Comment

I have had ON symptoms for 25 years

My eyes. Are extremely sensitive to light. When I have optic neuritis I keep the shades drawn. At those times I also have a lot of pain moving my eyes to the rut or to the left. Prednisone or IV solumedrol usually shortens a bad attack.

Vision oddities are a big part of my MS life. Optic neuritis was my presenting symptom.
          The pain behind my left eyeball was so bad that I wanted to pull my eye out. A friend of mine was a nurse and sent me to the right eye doctor who discovered I had lost green and red colors....that explained a lot. More tests and my MS diagnosis was made within weeks.

Hope some of that helps.
          "Be the kind of woman that when your feet hit the floor each morning the devil says:"Oh Crap, She's up!"

Currently on rituxan

Comment

Working...
          X