Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

ATTENTION MILITARY RETIREES: FYI ONLY

And anyone else who cares to read.

The results of The Military Compensation an Benefits Modernization Commission have been briefed to The Senate and Congress Armed Services Commitees.

I rarely raise the Flag, however I have been closely watching this issue and it is not looking good.

Brief Overview of Major Proposals:

- All Military Retirees under the age of 65 and current active duty dependents will lose all TRICARE Medical Benefits. AD Dependents will receive an allowance to procure medical insurance through OPM and retirees and their dependents will pay premiums out-of-pocket incrementally starting in FY 2017. I did a brief review of the OPM Civilian Plans for my State and lets just say, one could not afford to be me. Please note NO ONE will be grandfathered. TFL and TRICARE for AD Service Members will remain unchanged.

-- Many Military Retirees will most likely be at the mercy of the VA. And those of us
    with 100% SC MS will push other veterans out of the system. I believe retirees will
    Flock into the VA system.

- Current Retirement System is being Overhauled. Service Members will have a 401K -type retirement vs. the standard 20-30 year pension. All current Service Members are grandfathered. In order to actually do this Congress would have to request a Change in law.

- Other benefits are being slashed as well...but those are the two big ones.

I have written a strongly worded letter and have received a call from The Capital. As a military retiree with MS, I have asked to be given the opportunity to personally testify if there is a possibility that this is going through.

Please remember that we can not engage in Political Discussion on this Board...so I must keep my opinions to myself. But I felt that this proposal was important enough to let you know about it. It will be a few months before we know the impact this is going to have. But if Current Retirees loose their medical benefits...well...if you don't like this, I suggest you contact your political representative or Military Service Organization such as the DAV.
    Last edited by Seasha; 02-13-2015, 10:41 AM.
    Katie
    "Yep, I have MS, and it does have Me!"
    "My MS is a Journey for One."
    Dx: 1999 DMDS: Avonex, Copaxone, Rebif, currently on Tysabri

Here is an update to this thread. Please do not respond or make this Political or it will end up being deleted. I am only reporting facts, not opinion.

Military Retirement. A Bill has been drafted and will be up for vote and is expected to pass. The current High-3 Military Retirement System is to be abolished. A 401K type system is being established so anyone, no matter how many years of service you have can have a retirement fund.

- Military Members will be required to contribute to the fund and their contributions will be incrementally matched with the Government. Personnel who stay for 20 or longer will be rewarded with a pension, but significantly smaller than what current retirees get. The most a career military member will get is 40% of base pay.

- Military Members will be solely responsible for their financial future, however AD members will be given Financial Investment Training.

- Current Retirees will be automatically grandfathered, because Federal Law prevents Congress from not doing so. Current AD will have the option of the new blended plan or keep the current High-3 Plan. The new plan will be put into effect FY 2017. As a former Military Personnel Officer, I would remain in the current High-3 Plan and make contributions to the TSP which is already available to Servicemembers, but this is a very individual choice not to mention an important one.

TRICARE. This was rejected due to the complex nature of the Commission's Recommendation and is not in the Bill. However, it has not been shelved. The abolishment of TRICARE will rear its ugly head again, but there are serious legalities facing the abolishment of TRICARE.

One thing that was adopted was the recommendation to form a separate Medical Command under the Army to service TRICARE for all Beneficiaries. Although the Army has always administered TRICARE, a separate Command is going to be established.

I am actually going to be given the opportunity to speak to one of our US Congressmen in-person tomorrow and will provide an update if any of this is not accurate.

Again, this is FYI Only. I believe the topics are important (extremely important to retirees with MS and future retirees with MS) and people should be aware. If you want to engage in political chatter about the Bill or TRICARE, there are some lively converations going on at the Military.Com site which you can join in if you so desire.
    Katie
    "Yep, I have MS, and it does have Me!"
    "My MS is a Journey for One."
    Dx: 1999 DMDS: Avonex, Copaxone, Rebif, currently on Tysabri

Comment

Working...
    X