"Phantom numb"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

"Phantom numb"

My most common bit of paresthesis is numbness on one side of my torso. It's left over from an exacerbation about eight years ago - lesion around T5-ish on the spinal cord. It's usually mostly gone (there's a difference in reaction when the neuro runs the pokey tool around the left side of my rib cage versus the right side, but not much else), but if I get stressed out (a car almost hits me in a crosswalk), or overheated, or I just overdo it one day (like I did yesterday!), it will come back temporarily.

But, here's the thing I want to ask about: does anyone else have what I call the "Phantom Numb"? If this numbness pops up, I can sometimes make it go away by putting a little pressure in the affected spot. I kind of see it as a corrective to my brain in the way phantom limb is treated - by creating an actual stimulus to the nerve that my brain knows how to interpret. Not saying this would work in full-on exacerbation mode, but it does seem to work pretty reliably now that the lesion is "healed" and just causes hiccups in the nerve transmission now and then.

Anybody else have similar experiences?
Working...
X