Medicare and Avonex

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Medicare and Avonex

Not sure if this is the correct forum to use for this, but here goes.

I was diagnosed about 4 1/2 years ago and immediately started on Avonex. Optic neuritis was my only symptom, along with multiple brain lesions.

I had a pretty good insurance from retiring from the Univ of Cal and my copay was about $30/month.

Then my good insurance with the UC system changed drastically and it no longer made sense to keep it. I got insurance through my current job and the copay was much higher (around $100-150/mo).

So I was able to get copay assistance from Biogen and now have a 0 copay.

My concern is that I'll be going on Medicare in about 11 months and in looking at the Medicare Part D costs, my monthly copay AFTER the donut hole kicks in will be about $267 per month. I can't afford this kind of a copay! Not sure if there are any copay assistance programs for Medicare.

Since I was diagnosed in 2010, I have had almost no awareness of having MS; no symptoms of any kind and my MRIs have been stable. I am thinking that if all stays good between now and November I may just go off the Avonex. I don't really know if I've stayed stable BECAUSE of the Avonex or if it doesn't really matter.

Just wanted to put that out there and see what any of you think... Thanks

Andi

You might be able to continue copay assistance

You might be able to continue copay assistance with Medicare. I was still eligible with Medicaid when they gave me trouble for being on Beta, rather than Avonex.

Another option: look for medical studies. Not all of them include you taking unapproved drugs. I'm in one that studies side effects when you switch between approved interferons. Pays for my meds for a whole year.

Comment

How are you?

Originally posted by andi b View Post
      Not sure if this is the correct forum to use for this, but here goes.

I was diagnosed about 4 1/2 years ago and immediately started on Avonex. Optic neuritis was my only symptom, along with multiple brain lesions.

I had a pretty good insurance from retiring from the Univ of Cal and my copay was about $30/month.

Then my good insurance with the UC system changed drastically and it no longer made sense to keep it. I got insurance through my current job and the copay was much higher (around $100-150/mo).

So I was able to get copay assistance from Biogen and now have a 0 copay.

My concern is that I'll be going on Medicare in about 11 months and in looking at the Medicare Part D costs, my monthly copay AFTER the donut hole kicks in will be about $267 per month. I can't afford this kind of a copay! Not sure if there are any copay assistance programs for Medicare.

Since I was diagnosed in 2010, I have had almost no awareness of having MS; no symptoms of any kind and my MRIs have been stable. I am thinking that if all stays good between now and November I may just go off the Avonex. I don't really know if I've stayed stable BECAUSE of the Avonex or if it doesn't really matter.

Just wanted to put that out there and see what any of you think... Thanks

Andi
      How are you doing? Did you continue avonex when you went on Medicare? Were you able to get copay assistance?

Comment

Working...
      X