Period Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Period Question

Can MS cause heavier bleeding? I got my monthly visit yesterday, had a normal half day, and then it seemed to stop. This is normal for me on the first day, so I took the usual precautions before going to bed knowing it would start up again during the night. Woke up soaked anyway. This was a surprise, but I didn't think it would continue like that. Boy was I wrong. I've changed clothes 4 times today despite using more protection and going to the bathroom more frequently.

I am 46, and my periods have been a little bit irregular for the past year. Is it more likely to be age or health related (not MS)? Does this happen as a part of menopause? Should I call my doc tomorrow to set up an appointment or wait and see how the next couple of cycles go?
    Portia

Most likely, it's menopause or perimenopause, which is the crazy stuff that happens before menopause, the blessed end of it all.

In the past 5 years, I've had periods that were heavy and others that were lighter than I'm used to. And they are becoming farther apart. The period I'm having now (after 3 mths without one) seems a bit heavy. I also had cramps on the 4th day which is unusual for me. I know that my period does not "act" like it use to. I had 4 or 5 periods last year (yay) but a down side is that you don't know when it will come. Can't keep track of it anymore.

Now, I could be totally wrong. But ms didn't mess up my periods before, and I really doubt it is messing with them now. Personally, I would call my gyno first.

Comment

I actually relate to this. Since diagnosis, my period became very irregular. I thought for a moment I was hitting menopause at 34. After some tests, no...it is just my MS.

I do notice a heavier flow now. I also have been tracking and it can go anywhere from every two weeks to every 34 days. I tried changing birth control pills but that seemed to create even more problems.

Oh, MS...you made me hate my period even more than I did before.
      “You don't love someone for their looks, or their clothes, or for their fancy car but because they sing a song only you can hear.”
      ― Oscar Wilde

Comment

pinkimartini

Multiple Sclerosis does not affect menstrual cycles. The Disease Modifying Drugs (DMDs) could be a possibility as they have been known, in the past, to affects menstrual cycles.

I would be interested if a Neurologist actually said MS was the problem or if this is your own belief.
        Diagnosed 1984
        “Lightworkers aren’t here to avoid the darkness…they are here to transform the darkness through the illuminating power of love.” Muses from a mystic

Comment

There are long standing theories that hormones are involved in MS. For instance during pregnancy immune system is suppressed because 50% of the fetus is 'foreign' via sperm donor, which correlates with reduced MS exacerbations during pregnancy when woman's immune system is suppressed, in addition to increase in MS exacerbation rate that occurs 3-6 months after giving birth when hormones return to 'normal'.

My own 'period' history is marked by the fact that it was so regular I could set a clock for the date/time that my cycle started each month.

Also, for a 5yr period of time, episodes of ON, cognitive dysfunction, chronic bladder infections w/visible blood in my urine, and untreatable body wide hives that also involved my face, eyes swollen closed, all occurring in 7-10 days of my period.

My MS presentation is considered atypical, but my MS doc verified there's consistent record of this type of presentation, a well documented history. I was also dx Catemenial Epilepsy, aka hormone epilepsy, prior to my MS dx.

Comment

Hi MSW1963,

There are long standing theories that hormones are involved in MS. For instance during pregnancy immune system is suppressed because 50% of the fetus is 'foreign' via sperm donor, which correlates with reduced MS exacerbations during pregnancy when woman's immune system is suppressed, in addition to increase in MS exacerbation rate that occurs 3-6 months after giving birth when hormones return to 'normal'.
            Unfortunately, pregnancy does not protect a women from having an exacerbation, an exacerbation can happen during pregnancy and you can be exacerbation free post-partum.

Hormonal fluctuations can cause a temporary increase in MS symptoms. I have never heard of MS causing periods to be heavier or lighter due to the disease process. Medications can cause this to happen.
            Diagnosed 1984
            “Lightworkers aren’t here to avoid the darkness…they are here to transform the darkness through the illuminating power of love.” Muses from a mystic

Comment

As I indicated in my post, my MS presentation was atypical, but well documented. I'm not qualified to challenge or question the ratio of MS exacerbations suppressed during pregnancy vs the absence of exacerbations post partum.

Had I not self dx MS, based on my atypical presentation, to many to count brain lesions while doc bias dx resulted in 'hysterical female syndrome' had I not done my own research, ordered copies of my MRI reports with too many to count brain lesions, I'm conveniences I'd still be dx 'hysterical female', 'too old for a MS dx', 'no pain with MS' 'fatigued = depression', 'cognitive sx = somatization/conversion disorder/depression' list goes on.

I'm a Pollyanna, optimist, not susceptible to depression by nature. Thankfully, my determination, science, and eventually increased deficits on clinical exam, my atypical MS presentation is supported 15 after dx.

Comment

My experience fwiw ... it's not so much a ms thing as a getting older thing. Lol About 7 yrs ago I had a period that started out heavy and went from bad to worse. After a couple weeks, I finally went to the ER. That doc gave me some birth control pills to help with the bleeding and 'strongly' encouraged me to see my gyn. I was anemic and also, my kidney numbers were out of whack which he thought was due to high blood pressure meds. I felt like crap!

Anyways, Couple weeks later I had a procedure called an ablation. That completely stopped all bleeding.
                Karen

Comment

i'm curious to know what meds u are on also. i lean towards SNOOPY's thoughts on this.

when i started rebif, my periods stopped for a year (woo hoo!). then when it came back, it wouldn't stop (not cool)! dr put me on birth control so it would return to a regular cycle.
                  MS dx's 2000
                  Tysabrian

¤ fate is not just who's cooking smells good, but which way the wind blows ¤

Comment

Originally posted by Karenkay View Post
                    My experience fwiw ... it's not so much a ms thing as a getting older thing. Lol About 7 yrs ago I had a period that started out heavy and went from bad to worse. After a couple weeks, I finally went to the ER. That doc gave me some birth control pills to help with the bleeding and 'strongly' encouraged me to see my gyn. I was anemic and also, my kidney numbers were out of whack which he thought was due to high blood pressure meds. I felt like crap!

Anyways, Couple weeks later I had a procedure called an ablation. That completely stopped all bleeding.
                    Hi Karen, was your bleeding caused by fibroids? My gyno suggested ablation but I've been nervous.

Comment

Originally posted by berkeleylane View Post
                      Hi Karen, was your bleeding caused by fibroids? My gyno suggested ablation but I've been nervous.
                      Yes and no. I also have fibroids but that wasn't the cause of the extended heavy period. GYN said that was because of my age, family history, the fibroids ...

The ablation was a godsend, the procedure itself took about an hour, I was sent home with pain meds and was told to stay ahead of the pain.

But I didn't have much pain. I blame that on ms, I don't have much feeling down in the 'netherlands' ... My only other option was hysterectomy and I really didn't want to have to go through surgery.
                      Karen

Comment

Hmm, I hadn't really considered the meds.
                        The DMD I'm on is experimental. I've been in a drug study since June of 2010. It's Ponesimod, an immune suppressant similar to Gilenya.

Also, I take Baclofen, Amantadine, Gabapentin, and occasionally Diazepam.

I've put off calling my doctor. Need to do that, but wanted to wait and see what this month brings.
                        Portia

Comment

Hi Portia,

It is possible to have for premenopause (perimenopause) to cause heavier, lighter, and skipped periods. Menopause is when you have gone 1 year without any spotting or period. It is not uncommon to experience the above before you actually stop your periods. Perimenopause is approximately a 10 year time frame before Menopause and there can be many ups and downs period wise during those 10 or so years.

I am still in the preimenopause phase and I find it frustrating at times
                          Diagnosed 1984

Comment

Originally posted by SNOOPY View Post
                            Multiple Sclerosis does not affect menstrual cycles. The Disease Modifying Drugs (DMDs) could be a possibility as they have been known, in the past, to affects menstrual cycles.

I would be interested if a Neurologist actually said MS was the problem or if this is your own belief.
                            Hi, it was actually my gyn at the time that said might be related to my MS or modifier (at that time I was on Tecfidera). Whatever the case, when I stopped Tec, my period went back to normal for about a month then went irregular again (ahhh every two weeks!).

Personally, I feel like my whole body is a mess around that time (fatigue).
                            “You don't love someone for their looks, or their clothes, or for their fancy car but because they sing a song only you can hear.”
                            ― Oscar Wilde

Comment

Hi pinkimartini,

Personally, I feel like my whole body is a mess around that time (fatigue).
                              Yes, I would most definitely agree with this.

If you look at PMS symptoms then add in Multiple Sclerosis symptoms it becomes obvious why we seem to have more fatigue, pain ect than those with just PMS.

Information about PMS:
                              http://womenshealth.gov/publications...-syndrome.html

In my younger years I would usually notice my fatigue being worse. As the years have gone by I noticed I have more pain, fatigue, and cognitive problems that makes driving unsafe. Once my period is the increase of what I typed above.

I feel better when I don't have a period. My GYN tried me on continuous Birth Control to intentionally stop my periods. Physically I felt great but after approximately 5 months I noticed I was having suicidal thoughts with a little depression. Birth Control was stopped as this can be a side effect for some women.

So now I wait for my periods to stop on their own. I have currently not had one for 3 months and it has been wonderful

Information about menstrual cycles and Multiple Sclerosis:

http://www.nationalmssociety.org/Liv...-and-Menopause

http://www.mssociety.org.uk/what-is-...h/women-and-ms
                              Diagnosed 1984

Comment

Working...
                              X