Sinemet or Dilantin for paroxysmal symptoms

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sinemet or Dilantin for paroxysmal symptoms

Has anyone been prescribed either sinemet or Dilantin for leg spasms, electric shocks, and/or numbness/tingling in lower legs? I had an allergic reaction to tegretol which I had prescribed for leg spasms. Now with more symptoms in my lower legs my neuro wants me to take sinemet at night and Dilantin three times a day. I'm already on neurontin but symptoms are worse.

And despite being told things are worse and I should get a rollator and stop work, no MRI was ordered to see if anything has changed. Also no thought that I should change DMT either. Is this weird or seem reasonable?

I would get a second opinion. Although sentimet may work for night time, Dilantin is a very old drug and can cause more MS like symptoms than nothing alone. I was on Dilantin 3 times a day one time and couldn't coordinate, stand up, saw double and generally felt ill.

Hope things get better for you.
    Lisa
    Disabled RN with MS for 14 years
    SPMS EDSS 7.5 Wheelchair (but a racing one)
    Tysabri

Comment

Thanks Lisa. I can generally put up with all the MS symptoms that either of those meds would calm down. Don't know if I can deal with their side effects though. Thanks for letting me know how Dilantin was for you. I was worried about that. I'm trying to get the "nerve" up to ask for a second opinion or just go back to my old neuro and pay the price. It's awkward since I used to work with my current neuros nurse.

Comment

Sinamet was used for restless leg syndrome before all the RLS drugs were approved, but rarely used for anything spasm anymore. It is a Parkinson drug. You might want to check out Horizon which is simply a slow release gabapentin, its more efficient absorption requires one to take a lot less drug, it is only approved for RLS though. It has the same sides as gabapentin. I take 300mg around 4PM every day. It does not remove my cramps/spasms entirel, but helps and it removes my tingling type discomfort. Baclofen and the other spasms drugs don't do anything for me, but if something like Baclofen works then that is greatest as it is really cheap and I think the side effects are less. Actually what works best for me are the benzos with Valium being the best except I develop tolerance for it right away so after a week I will have to double the dosage and with the bentos being so addictive I decided to use Valium for "special" occasions only like plane rides and such.

Comment

Working...
        X