Arms Become Numb When I'm Sleeping

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Arms Become Numb When I'm Sleeping

I have an increasing issue with one or both of my arms falling asleep while I'm asleep. It's not how I am laying, but I wake up and can't feel an arm because it has completely fallen asleep. I work to get feeling back in it, then can go back to sleep again. My neuro ran nerve tests and ruled out non-MS possibilities. I was just curious if anyone on this forum has experienced similar issues with your arms.

Thanks!
    Penny

Originally posted by Loveboxers View Post
    I have an increasing issue with one or both of my arms falling asleep while I'm asleep. It's not how I am laying, but I wake up and can't feel an arm because it has completely fallen asleep. I work to get feeling back in it, then can go back to sleep again. My neuro ran nerve tests and ruled out non-MS possibilities. I was just curious if anyone on this forum has experienced similar issues with your arms.

Thanks!
    Penny
    other than the name at the top of the post, I would swear that I wrote this! I used to get the sensation long before my diagnosis. i always thought i had just slept wrong. until now, i never gave it any thought!
    hunterd/HuntOP/Dave
    volunteer
    MS World
    hunterd@msworld.org
    PPMS DX 2001

"ADAPT AND OVERCOME" - MY COUSIN

Comment

Hi Loveboxers,

My neuro ran nerve tests and ruled out non-MS possibilities
      Did that include carpal tunnel and ulnar damage? My husband had/has carpal tunnel as well as damage to the ulnar nerve (both arms). His arms would always fall asleep but he would be able to "wake" them up.

Usually numbness related to MS can not be improved by changing positions or movement, at least this has been my experience. Someone else might have had a different experience were MS and numbness is concerned.

Take care
      Diagnosed 1984
      “Lightworkers aren’t here to avoid the darkness…they are here to transform the darkness through the illuminating power of love.” Muses from a mystic

Comment

Funnily enough, I've been wondering about this one too. When I lie in bed reading a book with my arm mildly bent my ring and little finger go completely numb as does part of my hand/arm. Occasionally my arm from approx. the elbow will go numb also. I had NCV a couple of years ago and everything was fine so I can't imagine there being a problem related to the PNS at this stage.

Comment

Yes, I experience this too. It's worse if I'm going through a stressful spell or if I get over-tired. When it happens, I really have to work my arm to get the feeling back.

I'm not sure, but I think the gabapentin (Neurontin) helps minimize this a little. The numbness happened more chronically (at night) before I started taking gabapentin.

My neuro had an explanation related to where my lesions are located and the mis-firing of nerves... It's been awhile since we had the conversation so I can't really remember what she said. But, yes, it can be MS related...
          Symptoms 8/09. Dx 1/10. Avonex 2/10 - 1/11. Copaxone 2/11 to 5/13. Tecfidera 5/13 to 2/15. Gilenya 12/15 to current.

Comment

Working...
          X