How much B12 do we need?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How much B12 do we need?

Hi-does anyone know how much vitamin B12 we need if we are not deficient in it? I ask because I read it has a protective effect for the brain cells and myelin.

Thanks, Nikki
    Nikki

Hi Nocoly - I just went to my Dr appt today and got some lab work results. B12 being one of them. The range should be between 211-946 pg/mL. Mine was 712 and a big improvement. I take - or try to - 2.5mg a day.

The B12 has folic acid (800mcg) in combination with it. You're supposed to let it dissolve in your mouth and don't take it with meals. So, I'm not deficient, but will continue taking it and get tested again in 6 months or so.

Do you know what your level is?
    1st sx '89 Dx '99 w/RRMS - SP since 2010
    Administrator Message Boards/Moderator

Comment

Hi Seasha,

That is great info, thanks and good 4 U! I was tested one year ago and was not deficient but I should get this rechecked again. I will look at my old report and see the number.

Thank U for getting back to me....
      Nikki

Comment

I have done a monthly injection of B12 or Hydoxycobalamin since I was diagnosed in 1994. I started doing it as there was a book out by Cari Loder in early 1995 stating that it had helped her. Anyway, double blind trials of her "treatment, L-Phenylalanine, Lofepramine and B12 injections didn't show much of a therapeutic effect. I no longer take the first 2, but have done amazingly well for the last 20 years and have continued to take my B12 injections. Has it helped? I cannot prove it but I would not dare to stop it after doing so well for so long.

Comment

Working...
        X