Help!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Help!!!

I have been taking Avonex for approximately two and a half years and doing well. I use the auto injector pen and will usually have the site get sore a couple of days after the injection and goes to normal a couple of days later.

I injected on my left thigh going on four weeks ago on Friday. The injection was normal however the next day it became really sore and four weeks later it is still extremely painful. I've been to the doctor and was put on antibiotics even though there is no redness or swelling....it hurts to touch it and to walk. It feels like someone kicked me with everything they had and left no marks or bruises.

The doctor also did an ultrasound just to be safe and they said when I injected the meds were injected in between the sheeth that covers the muscle and the muscle. They said I just have to wait till my body absorbes the meds. It's been four weeks and sometimes it feels like it's getting worse not better. I'm extremely frustrated...Has anyone experienced this...I've tried heat and massage to help and both seem to make it worse the next day...HELP!!!

** Moderator's note - Post broken into paragraphs for easier reading. Many people with MS have visual difficulties that prevent them from reading large blocks of print. **

Hi Chris,

Personally, haven't heard of this. But it doesn't sound fun at all!

Have you tried cold therapy, since heat didn't help? Just a thought and might be worth a try.

Hope it starts to feel better, soon!
    Kimba

“When you change the way you look at things, the things you look at change.” ― Max Planck

Comment

WELCOME TO MSWORLD CHRIS!
      I never experienced anything like you are describing, but, during one injection my sister (an RN) hit my leg bone!
      I would go to another doctor for a second opinion, if for no other reason, for the peace of mind. I wish you the best.
      HuntOP/hunterd
      volunteer

Comment

I used to take Avonex & also used the pen. There was a couple times when I was sore a few days later, like I had been punched in the thigh. However, it never lasted as long as yours has or gotten worse.

I looked around online & couldn't find any useful information. It's good they placed you on an antibiotic but if it's getting worse, you should probably get a 2nd opinion.
        Diagnosed: May 2012
        Medications: Avonex - stopped 12/14
        Plegridy - starting 12/14

Comment

Yes I've usually had it sore for a couple of days sometimes a little longer but never like this. I'm going to wait one more week and call my primary care doctor again. Very frustrating...thank you for the suggestions and concern!!!

Comment

I had this same reaction to a different interferon that was injected manually subQ. I had sore spots on both legs as the result of many years of injections, although the pain came on suddenly. It even hurt for my clothes to touch my legs and sleeping was uncomfortable. There was no visible redness or marks on the skin, but very painful to touch.

My doctor advised me to switch to an oral therapy which I really didn't want to do because the interferon had controlled my MS very well. However, I took the doctors advise and stopped the injections and after several months, the injection sites on my legs are completely pain free.

The Avonex help line might offer you some ideas, as did the help line for my therapy. They even sent a nurse to my home, but her suggestions did not help. The only thing that helped me was time and stopping the injections.

Best of luck.

Comment

Working...
            X