What did I do?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What did I do?

I left a job with good pay, great benefits to be closer to home because I really needed that. Now, I am having new symptoms, jury is out if it's MS or anxiety and exhaustion. But I'm not the employee I should be. I've made errors that I wouldn't have dreamed I could make 10 years ago.

Problem is, these new supervisors don't know me. My previous supervisor knew what was going on. Disclose? I've not been there long. Let them assume I'm naturally forgetful? I really can't decide which is worse, and at present I only have the CIS diagnosis.
    CIS DX 2013

I wouldn't disclose unless you are asking for an accommodation to help you. Once you disclose, you can't get it back.

Has the employer said anything or put you on notice related to performance? If not, Then while you know the difference in your work, they don't and it may be totally okay performance to them. We can sometimes be harshest critic when going thru things.
    Kathy
    DX 01/06, currently on Tysabri

Comment

i agree with kathy.
      once you disclose your dx and / or suspicions of MS, it's all out on the table and pretty much free game.
      yes, they're not suppose to discriminate, but they do!

try to relax, maybe yoga or meditation will help. be sure and take care of yourself, sleep, hydrated, etc. all of that should help with the forgetfulness.
      then just do the best you can. that's all you, or anyone else can ask of you.

if they bring up the subject, then it's time to reconsider how much to tell them etc.

praying that you'll be fine and do a great job!

take care & God bless ya!
      "All things are possible for those who believe." Jesus

Comment

"But I'm not the employee I should be. I've made errors that I wouldn't have dreamed I could make 10 years ago."

Sorry, I don't know what CIS is. What are symptoms of CIS?
        Regardless...don't disclose anything yet. Continue to pursue answers regarding an MS Dx.

If your CIS diagnosis caused you to look for employment closer to home, that is a self-induced accommodation, and it sounds like you anticipate more down the road. May I suggest that before you contemplate disclosure, you have a chat with a Bureau of Vocational Rehabilitation counselor/rep. Every state has a BVR. Talking with them will give you the pros and cons of disclosing, both before or after being hired. You may qualify for services with BVR on the basis of disabilities induced by your CIS, or if diagnosed, disabilities induced by MS.

Comment

Originally posted by BadAttitude View Post
          "But I'm not the employee I should be. I've made errors that I wouldn't have dreamed I could make 10 years ago."

Sorry, I don't know what CIS is. What are symptoms of CIS?
          Regardless...don't disclose anything yet. Continue to pursue answers regarding an MS Dx.

If your CIS diagnosis caused you to look for employment closer to home, that is a self-induced accommodation, and it sounds like you anticipate more down the road. May I suggest that before you contemplate disclosure, you have a chat with a Bureau of Vocational Rehabilitation counselor/rep. Every state has a BVR. Talking with them will give you the pros and cons of disclosing, both before or after being hired. You may qualify for services with BVR on the basis of disabilities induced by your CIS, or if diagnosed, disabilities induced by MS.
          Oops. Not to quote myself because I think I'm all that...but I forgot to mention that BVR is completely confidential unless you request accommodations for disability from your employer...they can still give you advice and rehab services if you choose not to disclose.

Comment

Working...
          X