Looks like a Lift-Off!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Looks like a Lift-Off!

I eventually was able to get Allison Hickey's email and got a quick email back. Not only that but in under 4hrs got a call from Detroit VARO that I am being S/C for MS and will be scheduled another C&P to determine percentage rating ASAP.

Thanks Marco!

IN unrelated good news, AFLAC decided to approve my wife's disability claim, that is after prodding via my complaint to the state about the claim.

Dec 23 and things are looking brighter.

Gomer

Gomer! Gomer! Gomer!

That is wonderful news and just in time for Christmas. I am so happy for you. There are a few MSWorld members that cause me agony and you are one of them. My heart breaks every time I see your posts because I know the VA has messed you up again. I am so glad that you finally were able to break through the Evil Empire to get a positive ruling.
    • MS comes with a 30% minimum disability rating and should go up from there.
    • This also means for the rest of your life, all of your MS care, including medications, will be 100% covered. Thank God!!!
    • When you are at your C&P ensure you ask them about "Individual Unemployability" based on your MS.
    • You should get back pay from the date of your claim. So you should expect a check in the next 2 weeks that is completely tax-free. Military disability pay is not income, but a form of restitution for the damage your body received while in the service.

I am not sure what other service connected ailments you have, but your State will also have benefits based on your disability rating. You should get a income tax credit for any Property Tax paid. Common benefits are a reduction in license plates fees, discounted hunting & fishing licenses, etc.

Gomer - you made my night! My wife is saying, "that's great, that's great." She understands how difficult the VA can be, especially with your type of claim. Thank you for sharing part of your life with us. More than anything, thank you for your service to our country!!!

Comment

It will be more than a couple weeks. The VARO said they are ordering a C&P to determine rating percentage, so that will have to happen and be processed before the Eagle sh1t5, (as we used to say in the Navy).

I am S/C for hearing loss, was perfect on enlistment and loss noted in a hearing test about 2 yrs into my 4 year enlistment.

I had pancreatitis also about 2 yrs in but the Dx, testing and Dr notes are MIA from my SMR?? I found out I was diabetic when I landed in the horsepital for diabetes almost 10 years later. No records - No bennies.

Just over 2 years after the Diabetes Dx, I had cancer surgery, a soft tissue sarcoma most likely due to haz chems. No boots on ground in Nam = NO S/C. I did on occasion have to directly work with Haz Chems, just not AO.

Today has been a multiple 1-800 calls (usually sales pitches) with GOOD NEWS!

Thanks Marco

Gomer Sir Falls-a-lot

Comment

Well Sir-Falls-A-Lot...this is certainly the best news you have had in years! I am glad it finally is happening for you.

May your Christmas be Merry and Bright.
        Katie
        "Yep, I have MS, and it does have Me!"
        "My MS is a Journey for One."
        Dx: 1999 DMDS: Avonex, Copaxone, Rebif, currently on Tysabri

Comment

Thanks...... and Dec 23 was a good news day, loooooooooooooooong over due.But I have on verbal news, nothing in print or useable greenbacks,,,yet.

Comment

Great News

Gomer,

That is the best news I have heard in years! Now you should be able to get the power lift, scooter, etc that you need a lot easier.
            Dennis

The soul of a song will lift your spirits.

Comment

Originally posted by gomer View Post
              Thanks...... and Dec 23 was a good news day, loooooooooooooooong over due.But I have on verbal news, nothing in print or useable greenbacks,,,yet.
              Gomer - If you do not use eBenefits, you can call VA customer service and ask them if you have any pending Retroactive Compensation & Pension payments.

If you do use eBenefits, then can log in and check your disability status, and/or see if a direct deposit may already be pending.

To check your disability status.
              • Login to eBenefits
              • From the toolbar at the top select "Access My Documents" and then "Download VA Letters."
              • Then select the "Benefit Summary - Veteran Benefits"
              • Then look for a line that says, "Your combined service-connected evaluation is: ____%"
              This document is often updated a week, or more, before you receive the official paperwork.

To check on any pending direct deposits
              • Login to eBenefits
              • View My Status
              • VA Payment History
              • You are looking for a line under payment type that may say, "Compensation & Pension - Retroactive"
              A direct deposit may show here for up to 2 weeks before it hits your bank.

Again, I am so thrilled that you are FINALLY getting the benefits you earned. Thank you again for your service!

Comment

This is truly great news. Congratulations. I have renewed hope.

John
                Diagnosed RRMS April 2014
                Trying to be the best dad I can!

Comment

For now there are no bennies, I was told that I had to have a rating C&P exam to determine percentage. He (the VA rater) said the rating C&P would be scheduled ASAP.... Have not heard back when that C&P exam will be. I was hoping I would at least get a date & time this week.

I hear the ebennies web page is often out of date and not accurate.......?????????

I hope the fat lady sings soon and get the coneection and rating % so I can plan everything else, not just VA stuff.

I also hope it will make it far easier to get a lift etc.

Gomer Sir Falls-a-lot

Comment

Funny how I posted about the not yet scheduled rating C&P...................

Well today the VA called and I am scheduled for the rating C&P in 2 weeks. Not bad for the VA, they are usually so SLOOOOooooooooooooow.

Gomer Sir falls-a-lot

Comment

Here is the DBQ for MS. The VA will fill out something similar to determine your level of benefits. Reviewing this form will give you an indication of what your C&P may consist of. http://www.vba.va.gov/pubs/forms/VBA-21-0960C-9-ARE.pdf

It may help you to jot down some notes over the next 2 weeks prior to the examination. I would make a list of your symptoms as they occur and then pay attention to the frequency. When asked about your symptoms don't minimize your symptoms or struggles. With MS, we have both good and bad days. Don't answer the questions, as if, it was a good day. Tell them the truth - "on most days I experience this symptom." If you have vertigo 50% of the days make sure they understand that. Or on a bad day, I cannot even get out of bed, or feed myself. Then follow up with I have 6 bad days every month. How many falls have you had over the past 12 months or 24 months? What does MS prevent you from doing? or enjoying? Maybe you use to hike or go fishing and you cannot do that anymore. Tell them I cannot go fishing because I cannot bait the hooks. If you have bathroom accidents tell them.

This is your best opportunity to express yourself on the pain & suffering that you go through. If possible, have your wife go with you. She can answer some of the questions better than you can, or help fill in the gaps for you.

I would also review the Aid & Attendance/Housebound form to see how many of the listed Activities of Daily Living that you need help with. If the answer is more than 2-3, then talk to the rater about it. If you are housebound, talk to them about that. If you don't need help with the ADLs then you can ignore this form.
                      http://www.vba.va.gov/pubs/forms/VBA-21-2680-ARE.pdf

If you have questions please ask. You may also find the answer at the vets forums over at Yuku: http://vets.yuku.com/ and facebook has a number of groups dedicated to Veterans with MS, or Men with MS, that may also be able to help you.

Comment

Marco,

Thanks for that advice. I'm going through an MEB and have my C&P exam within the next thirty days. I've been keeping a diary of symptons for several months now. I hope the exam goes my way. It would be a huge relief to me and my family.

John
                        Diagnosed RRMS April 2014
                        Trying to be the best dad I can!

Comment

Working...
                        X