New graduate wants answers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New graduate wants answers

I was dx'd in 2010, one semester from graduating with B.S. in Criminal Justice, Law Enforcement. I did graduate with a 3.49 GPA. I've been trying (unsuccessfully) to find a job. I've kept my dx quiet since I'm not applying for positions involving physical requirements. As I said, I've had no luck. I've reached out to a few friends in law enforcement for suggestions without much feed back. I'm considering mailing my resume to various agencies; and including my reason for not applying for a police officer position. I've read on here and other websites not to mention my M.S. However, doing so has gotten me no where. It seems that there are jobs out there in departments that are never posted on the internet that would be perfect for me (desk type jobs).

I volunteered with a local department in there Crime Analysis Unit, just to get experience and hopefully a job down the road. The person who ran the department, and association, in my opinion discriminated against me because of my M.S., even though I was always on time and never missed a day. It was quite apparent that I was being "run out" of the position, so reported to the higher ups that I was leaving. Damned if I do, and damned if I don't. Any suggestions?
    Dx'd 08/2010 RRMS
    Rebif, Copaxone, Gilenya, Tecfidera
    "Fall down 7 times, get up 8"

hparks, I don't have a clue about how strong or flat the job market is in law enforcement related jobs. Based on the poor job market in general since 2007/?, and the reported hit that gov't. jobs experienced, budget cuts, reduced pension benefit and backlash over retirement benefits associated with those types of jobs, my impression is it was a tight job market for a while. I also don't know if hiring has rebounded in law enforcement related jobs.

Volunteer work sounds like one avenue to get yourself in the door, possibly improving your prospects for a job offer. You mentioned resigning from your previous volunteer work because of discrimination based on your MS.

I don't know if your MS sx's are visible, but I would not disclose
    a dx of MS if you have a choice of not disclosing.

Have you considered private security types of jobs as an option? That may not be the job of your dreams, but you don't know where it could lead you in your career.

Best of luck

Comment

I personally don't feel there is benefit in disclosing unless you are forced to based on the obvious. What advice are you getting from your contacts and friends in the field? That is often the best way to find out about jobs.

It doesn't sound like MS has anything to do with you not finding a job but the economy or possibly the type of positions you are trying to acquire. Perhaps you will have to go through the usual progression of jobs in your field and if that means starting as a police officer with the plan to move to a desk job in the future.

Good luck.
      He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.
      Anonymous

Comment

Unfortunately, due to the economy and a very large amount of College Grads, getting a job in the field you want may not be initially possible. Many grads are unemployed or taking jobs that have nothing to do with their Degree.

If you disclose your MS it might even make getting a job more difficult.
        Diagnosed 1984
        “Lightworkers aren’t here to avoid the darkness…they are here to transform the darkness through the illuminating power of love.” Muses from a mystic

Comment

Working...
        X