Is this Spasticity?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is this Spasticity?

I was diagnosed 3 months ago today. During my last flare up (around Thanksgiving) I started having what I think is spasticity. The back of my thighs feel tight and feel like they are on the verge of having a charlie horse. Is this spasticity? One doctor gave me a short course of Valium and that helped. My neurologist put me on Baclofen but it makes me tired so I just tend to take it at night. Any other suggestions, home remedies, meds to try?
    Thanks in advance!

Hi wizardsmom6,

Yes, that sounds like spasticity

Exercise, yoga, gentle stretching can all be helpful. This may need to be done a few times a day.

Using heat such as a heating pad or electric blanket can be helpful for some. If heat intolerant caution should be used.

There are different medications that can be used in the treatment of Spasticity. However, most have the side effect of sleepiness/drowsiness

Information about Spasticity:
    http://www.mymsaa.org/about-ms/symptoms/spasticity/
    Diagnosed 1984
    “Lightworkers aren’t here to avoid the darkness…they are here to transform the darkness through the illuminating power of love.” Muses from a mystic

Comment

To add to SNOOPY's post you may want to get a PT referral. They can stretch you in ways that you can't and teach you the proper way to do it. I go once per week now but started out twice per week. It helps my spasticity SO much.

Hope you feel better

Lisa
      Disabled RN with MS for 14 years
      SPMS EDSS 7.5 Wheelchair (but a racing one)
      Tysabri

Comment

If you don´t have heated carseats- please treat yourself to one- got mine from Duluth Trading b/c they will take back a product without any question and car seat heaters are notorious for having a short life. But- while working it is instantaneous heaven and makes a huge difference for hours after getting out of the car. Be SURE to unplug when you leave the car to avoid a battery drain.

Comment

Working...
        X