Last Appointment with Neuro

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Last Appointment with Neuro

Ugh. My neuro is retiring and my last appointment with him is tomorrow. He was a great neuro, always getting back on same day, even if late in the evening. He always ran late, but that was because he gave the time to the patients who need it. And he treated the patient as a person, treated symptoms reported regardless of MRI. He wasn't afraid to take on the insurance companies and employers.

When I read some of the horror stories others have posted related to their neuro and/or offices, I am really dreading a new neuro. I know I won't see any of the other neuros in his practice, with exception of new one recently brought in. But if that doesn't work out, I have no idea what I am going to do.

Oh well, guess I should be grateful for care to date. It is just really unnerving. It is such an important relationship, and I hate the thought of the effort to establish a new one. I wish I could find a really great young neuro so I don't have to break another one in again when they retire.
    Kathy
    DX 01/06, currently on Tysabri

As a general rule of thumb I prefer young practitioners because in my experience I have seen quite a few very old physicians who are set in their ways and don't stay current. Medicine changes so quickly it is difficult to stay on top of it especially when you are getting older and slower, imo.

The good news is with neurologists and MS in general is that there really is only so much they can do for us and most of our symptom management can be handled by our PCP.

Good luck and I hope you click with your new provider.
    He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.
    Anonymous

Comment

You could request an appointment with the new doc in the practice. I think thats what I would do. I am sorry you are loosing your other neuro. That happened to me too, but luckily I got a much better one in that process. You never know what might happen. My wish for you is that you get one that is even better too.

Good luck
      Lisa
      Disabled RN with MS for 14 years
      SPMS EDSS 7.5 Wheelchair (but a racing one)
      Tysabri

Comment

Thanks. He spent over an hour with me and actually had tears in his eyes at goodbye. While he said he won't miss the hours and the politics, he will miss his patients. I am going to try one of the 6 in the group. He is probably 7-10 years younger than me, so hopefully will be around a long time. I was going to see the new neuro, but he told me he discovered questions were not always welcome and since I question things, may not be a good fit. So time will tell.

As for me, calcium was normal, but not as high as he would like. So have to bump up the D3. One count with liver was little low, so will keep an eye on that. JCV still negative at 0.11. Slower right side reflexes, especially arm and some right side weakness. Overall, pretty good. Some worsening, but not severe. A lot to be thankful for.
        Kathy
        DX 01/06, currently on Tysabri

Comment

Working...
        X