Is neuropsych necessary?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is neuropsych necessary?

I am not diagnosed. Had lesions, signs and symptoms eight years ago and they have returned again. Flare started in September and seems to have resolved for the most part. Still have some residual symptoms of a physical nature, but nothing serious.

My cognitive issues seemed much worse this time around and I thought they were much better until this week. Couldn't believe the crazy stuff I have been doing and at this point it seems much worse than my physical concerns.

Several times I finished a cup of tea and then looked around the house for the cup even though I washed and put it away. Put a prescription away in it's usual spot, but then tore the house apart looing for it. The worst was last night when I put a pot on the stove with no water and turned the burner on. I couldn't understand why the veggies were not cooking and kept turning the burner up. My husband caught it, but I burnt the pot and veggies. A couple of hours later I was playing cards with my hubby and kids and moments after winning the game I asked "who won that game". I honestly couldn't remember it had been me.

I really think these issues are abnormal and my hubby has commented he thinks my cognitive issues are quite severe. My fifteen year old son even pulled me aside last night and said "Mom are you having trouble with your memory?" He said he's noticed and he's worried about it.

I don't have a diagnosis of MS or anything else. I see neuro in February and really hope he will try and get to the bottom of this. Do you think he will order a neuropsych assessment?

Hi Jennagain - I think it's always a good idea to have a neuropsychological exam done because, if anything, it gives you a baseline for your strengths and deficits. Many neuropsych doctors will suggest tools or meds to help you with your deficits.

But, it's up to you to discuss this with you neuro and let him know how much of a cognitive problem you are experiencing. Most likely they will not, as a standard practice, order one unless you speak up. Anyway, this has been my experience. I had a baseline exam and then later on, when I needed to apply for SSDI, I had another test. The differences in exams were marked!

Here is some info from WebMD that explains the testing - http://www.webmd.com/brain/neuropsychological-tests

Good luck to you
    1st sx '89 Dx '99 w/RRMS - SP since 2010
    Administrator Message Boards/Moderator

Comment

I am glad you are considering your available options. Neuropysch examinations are not as common as they should be. Many insurance plans consider them unnecessary and may not pay for them. I believe they serve as a great evaluation tool, therapy assessment and baseline for future evaluations.

Too often, MS patients struggle through life without taking advantage of helpful opportunities. This would include utilizing therapists (physical, speech, mental health and occupational), neuropsychs, community transportation programs, available social services, and assistance crom church/non-profit organizations. I understand it's not always easy to attain these services, but if you do not ask for help the answer is always, "NO."

Comment

On testing

When I was still working I did not encourage testing. Be aware of where the results of the testing go. I know this is a vague warning but I became aware that I should be careful.

Good luck. I wake up each morning and ell myself to concentrate. I have really been working on this and have been successful...most of the time.

Good luck.
        "Be the kind of woman that when your feet hit the floor each morning the devil says:"Oh Crap, She's up!"

Currently on rituxan

Comment

Originally posted by MSLazarus View Post
          When I was still working I did not encourage testing. Be aware of where the results of the testing go. I know this is a vague warning but I became aware that I should be careful.
          Where can they go? DMV? Aren't they sealed medical records?

Comment

I would be interested to hear from the members who have worked in the insurance industry or in Human Resources.

If you get your insurance through your employer, there might be some way the fact that you took the test would not be anonymous to the employer. I don't know for sure either way and would love to know that I'm wrong.

Comment

Working...
            X