Making bad decisions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Making bad decisions

I swear, ever since I've been diagnosed with MS (about 2 years ago), every decision I make is a bad one. It's like I rush into things and just think about what I want at that moment and don't stop to think about the consequences down the road. I've always been a very level headed person, but that certainly does not seem to be the case anymore. I don't know why either, It's just like I don't think things through. Has anyone else found they've had issues like this?
    Diagnosed 1/4/13
    Avonex 1/25/13-11/14, Gilenya 1/22/15

Yup; that's me too!

Oh I feel your pain!

I have horrible judgment where in the past before all my symptoms I was pretty level headed for the most part. I have to consult my siblings on every major decision before I screw up again.

It's a common symptom if you have cog issues which I have many.

Hang in there!

Comment

Sorry to hear. I am also struggling with the ways ms changes how I think and do things.

What you are describing might be what the doctors call executive dysfunction. MS, strokes, traumatic brain injury can all change our ability to plan and control what we choose to do.

If you want to know more, you could ask your neurologist about a 'neuropsychological test' referral. That would measure your ability to think and plan in many different ways.

It could be useful to tell your neurologist or primary doc. It's the sort of thing that if it gets bad can affect your ability to hold a job, so getting it documented could help a disability application.

Comment

Yes! Making good decisions and controlling stupid things that fall out of my mouth were actually deficits before, but now they are all worse. I also have difficulty planning in ways that will economize my trips and tasks. Here in Philadelphia, and with a family like yours, I expect to find wolves gnawing at my carcass and bank account any day now.

Today (a small thing admittedly) the vacuum and air console at the filling station was set up so that the opposite coin slot controlled either option. I just put all my quarters into the slot above the air and the vacuum came on, worse it took me a few seconds to figure out what what going on. I used to call such things "lint traps for stupid people"-like when they bundle things that aren't a good deal at the supermarket for people who can't do basic math.

Comment

Yes, but now I am finding that I can't make decisions, easy or complex. I think it is because of past bad judgements and constant second guessing.
          Kathy
          DX 01/06, currently on Tysabri

Comment

Absolutely!

Originally posted by pennstater View Post
            Yes, but now I am finding that I can't make decisions, easy or complex. I think it is because of past bad judgements and constant second guessing.
            I totally relate, Karen. That's exactly what is happening to me now.

Comment

Originally posted by dyin_myelin View Post
              Yes! Making good decisions and controlling stupid things that fall out of my mouth were actually deficits before, but now they are all worse. I also have difficulty planning in ways that will economize my trips and tasks. Here in Philadelphia, and with a family like yours, I expect to find wolves gnawing at my carcass and bank account any day now.

Today (a small thing admittedly) the vacuum and air console at the filling station was set up so that the opposite coin slot controlled either option. I just put all my quarters into the slot above the air and the vacuum came on, worse it took me a few seconds to figure out what what going on. I used to call such things "lint traps for stupid people"-like when they bundle things that aren't a good deal at the supermarket for people who can't do basic math.
              Ditto to all this! Exactly how I feel as well and it isn't fun! I did and feel I still do have a high IQ but my brain is stuck in "economy mode" or something and I just can't access it. My fear is that one of my bad desicision will cause someone to get hurt. When I get behind the wheel now I'm really starting to second guess my ability to make good judgment calls.

Comment

Working...
              X