Starting Plegridy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Plegridy experience

I just switched to Plegridy as part of a study on flulike symptoms - I've posted in one of the other threads about it, too.

I've been taking the Tylenol arthritis formula (long-acting - 8 hours or so), but only one pill, about 30 minutes before the shot. I take the Tylenol when I take the shot out of the fridge to warm to room temperature. Then I set an alarm so I don't forget to inject - I switched from Beta, which doesn't need to be warmed up.

I've not had flu symptoms, but I got big red welts on my arms. I'd gotten them sometimes with Beta, too, but the first time I injected in my arm, about a week after the shot, the red spot got bigger and itchier. I used some prescription-strength hydrocortisone, and the doc told me to take OTC allergy medication. Did the trick, but I don't like allergy meds - I get drowsy! So the next dose that went in the other arm, i started with the hydrocortisone as soon as a red spot turned up. It still got kind of angry, but not as big as the first one.

All that said, when I first started using Beta, my arms always had the worst red spots. But it didn't happen every time.

Just thought I'd give a heads-up. Maybe better to inject the arms for the first time this time of year, rather than waiting for sleeveless shirt season!

Comment

Glad to hear more input on Plegridy.
      I am scheduled to start my first injection tomorrow evening with a nurse visit. Hopefully the PA weather forecast doesn't play a part in delaying this. I'll keep everyone posted.
      DX 11/2014
      Plegridy -1/2015
      Gilenya - 8/2017

Comment

So I started Plegridy last night using the pen injector. Super easy injection. Didn't feel a thing. I had no irritation at the site, nor any soreness. I woke this morning feeling fine so I went to work.

Once at work I started noticing some less than desirable feelings about mid morning. I was feeling rather depressed. I dealt with this throughout the day and it was ok. Kept my head up and pressed on as usual. Toward late afternoon today I started to get very very tired and was not moving around the office very well. Kind of felt like I was drunk in a way. I almost fell at one point from tripping over my dragging feet. I was cold. Hands and feet were ice cold but my head was burning. I then sat back down at my desk to finish up a thing or two and punched out.

At that point, I about fell asleep I was so tired, but, I was interrupted by a coworker who told me to go home. I then headed home and stopped off at a store on my way. By the time I left the store I was starting to feel fine again. So strange... I got home and feel fine. Just a headache, same headache I was dealing with all day. Tylenol has no affect on it either. Through out the day I took 2000mg.

But at the end of the day. I feel fine. Off to bed now.
        DX 11/2014
        Plegridy -1/2015
        Gilenya - 8/2017

Comment

I took my 4th injection on Tuesday. The 2nd full dose. I believe I had my first side effect.

Almost 24 hours after the injection, I went to get up from my desk at work to start getting ready to head home & noticed I was really stiff. I wrote it off as sitting at my desk too long without a break. As I made my way across the parking lot, I felt like I was 90 years old trying to get my legs to loosen up & move. My back was also very stiff & sore. Once I got home, I realized I was still in bad shape.

I finally realized that one of the very few times I had side effects with Avonex, I felt just like this. Stiff, sore, achy all over, barely able to shuffle my legs, etc. It had not occurred to me that this could be a side effect since with Avonex it was usually within a matter of hours you would get them & not 24 hours later. I recalled seeing other people on the board say they had issues the next day & it all clicked.

I took 4 Advil & relaxed the rest of the night & it seems to be resolved now. Hopefully this won't be a regular thing but the Advil did help a lot so I'll take this over some other possibilities!

Overall, I am extremely pleased with Plegridy. The ease of giving myself the injection and it only being every other week has caused so much stress & anxiety to be lifted from my life!
          Diagnosed: May 2012
          Medications: Avonex - stopped 12/14
          Plegridy - starting 12/14

Comment

I did my second injection yesterday morning. Happy to report that so far I have had no issues. The only thing I could report is that the injection site (abdomen) has an ever so slight pink blotch around a little red dot. Outside of that, there wasn't anything like the first injection with the depressed feelings and then the exhaustion. Still no flu like symptoms.. Fingers crossed.

I think that injecting in the morning did the trick. Maybe I slept through them?

So far I'm very happy with Plegridy.
            DX 11/2014
            Plegridy -1/2015
            Gilenya - 8/2017

Comment

Getting Cleared to Start Plegridy

Hello, I am new to the forum and newly diagnosed MS. I could not find much on Plegridy so was happy to see this forum. I am nervous about starting Plegridy because I am very afraid of needles, but the PML that could result from Tysabri and the effects of Gilenya, made me lean towards this medicine which seems to be a safer option. I am not sure how I am going to be able to inject myself, the thought of it makes me cringe, but I guess that is what I have to do. I am also hesitant, because I experience little to no symptoms of MS, so I was on the fence about getting on meds in the first place. It is good to hear your stories, so thanks for sharing those updates. Do you experience symptoms from your MS for you that was newly diagnosed?

Comment

Originally posted by waltercc View Post
                Hello, I am new to the forum and newly diagnosed MS. I could not find much on Plegridy so was happy to see this forum. I am nervous about starting Plegridy because I am very afraid of needles, but the PML that could result from Tysabri and the effects of Gilenya, made me lean towards this medicine which seems to be a safer option. I am not sure how I am going to be able to inject myself, the thought of it makes me cringe, but I guess that is what I have to do. I am also hesitant, because I experience little to no symptoms of MS, so I was on the fence about getting on meds in the first place. It is good to hear your stories, so thanks for sharing those updates. Do you experience symptoms from your MS for you that was newly diagnosed?
                I had some symptoms that led to me being diagnosed but they went away. I had read that the earlier you start treatment, the better, since the medication is supposed to help slow progression. This is all debatable though.

I am a needle phone. I can't physically watch a needle go into me or stick myself with one. However, if you get the pen, you never see the needle. It's just a plastic pen like device that you press against your skin. You don't see the needle before or after. I have found this makes it easy as pie to do the injection. Hopefully, it will help you too!

Comment

Great, thank you! MSActive Source just called and told me my monthly pay would be over $2000 for the medicine, so I am trying to see if I can get some financial assistance, that is waaaay to expensive! I am glad you are having a good experience with Plegridy so far, it makes me feel better

Comment

Originally posted by waltercc View Post
                    Walter, I have been taking Plegridy for a little over a month now using the pen injector. I don't see the needle nor do I even feel it. This last injection I actually double checked my skin and the pen after using it to make sure it injected me.. I didn't feel a thing. I hope everything works out for you.

T
                    DX 11/2014
                    Plegridy -1/2015
                    Gilenya - 8/2017

Comment

Thank you

Thank you guys for replying to my messages, I am feeling better about taking Plegridy. I will keep you posted once I do my first injection.

Comment

Took my first full dose this morning. Didn't feel a thing when injecting once again.
                        I've been a little on the sick side in the last week and a half. This afternoon I started feeling very bad. I got to my next location for work and about stumbled into the office. Since it is a dr office I had the nurse take my BP. It was through the roof as well as my temperature too. I was shaking bad. They wouldn't let me leave alone. I had the wife come pick me up. Now that I'm home I feel better all within the last few hours. Not as hot and feeling much more relaxed. In bed, going to the regular doc tonight.

So weird.
                        DX 11/2014
                        Plegridy -1/2015
                        Gilenya - 8/2017

Comment

Originally posted by TravisT View Post
                          Took my first full dose this morning. Didn't feel a thing when injecting once again.
                          I've been a little on the sick side in the last week and a half. This afternoon I started feeling very bad. I got to my next location for work and about stumbled into the office. Since it is a dr office I had the nurse take my BP. It was through the roof as well as my temperature too. I was shaking bad. They wouldn't let me leave alone. I had the wife come pick me up. Now that I'm home I feel better all within the last few hours. Not as hot and feeling much more relaxed. In bed, going to the regular doc tonight.

So weird.
                          Hope you are feeling better Travis! I was sick last week when I did my injection. Didn't seem to make me worse, fortunately.

Comment

Originally posted by TravisT View Post

So weird.
                            I should note, if you had a fever, this can cause exacerbation of MS symptoms. Varies for different people but in general, getting a fever with MS can cause issues & it's best to try not to get sick & if you do, to keep the fever down.

Comment

Speaking of being sick and taking Plegridy, tonight is shot night and I'm coming down with a cold. Does anyone else notice swollen glands in the neck as part of the side effects of Plegridy? I have noticed my neck usually feels tender the next day.

Now that this cold is coming, my neck feels that way anyway. I have to call my doctor anyway, so I will mention that as well. Thankfully, the flu like symptoms and site reactions seem to be decreasing with each shot. Just a minor headache on and off the following day, some fatigue and the swollen glands.
                              Dx'd : 10/30/2002
                              Started Copaxone 12/16/2002
                              Currently on Rituxan

Comment

1st Injection

I had my first injection today and I was soo nervous, I had to let my husband do it while I looked away. HOWEVER...I did not feel a thing...I was like, "that's it?" I was at least expecting a prick. This was at 11 am and I feel fine now. I took some aleve before the injection, so right now, I am fine. I will see if it remains the same after the second injection.

Comment

Working...
                                X